If Microsoft forced .NET Passports?

ChrisPS

no thats to download and install it.

you only have to do the apt-get update, and get synaptic because they arent on the system to start off, and you need to update it.

its like installing windows then getting latest drivers... infact thats exactly what it is -- a COMPLETE system update, new drivers and files and program updates. can that be done in windows with a single command line? we wish you could hehe

synaptic is just a GUI for apt, makes finding files and using apt easier.

to put doom on windows you would have to download it, unzip it, install it.

in debian you would have to put in console:

apt-get install doom

then run it, you wouldnt even have to open a web browser.

FthrJACK I use Gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net. It's the best program out there for IM, has support for Aim, ICQ, MSN, IRC, Napster, Jabber and pretty much any other client out there. In my opinion it's WAY better than Trillian for Windows. Check it out... As for a real MSN client, don't try to get the Windows one working with wine just use AMSN. http://amsn.sourceforge.net/ It looks exactly like MSN and has all the features (to my knowledge).

Yea most good games work on Linux, I've got Quake 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and UT2K3 working. FthrJACK did you get your screenshots posted? I got KaZaA Lite working through wine.. if anyone wants to know ask and I'll see if I can dig the link up.

Hey FathrJACK and GaMMa -- I have been mesing around with Lindows a bit and find it quite acceptable - even a relative newbie would be fine with this OS - mainly because they DON"T MESS AROUND with settings and stuff. I want to use Lindows as a tool to learn more Linux stuff. Any good references you could recommend as intro to Linux?

Thnx - LS_Dragons

mandrake will be harder to learn if you have never used linux before.. but it IS one of the more friendly distros, another is Lycoris. both install easy enough etc. the pain with it is the RPMs, thats what made me stop using it. i keep smackin myself up the side of the head for not trying debian, but its more of a chore to install, but once you have it installed, getting software is a dodle as i described.

on monday lindowsOS 3.0 is released, try that for a bit and when you feel ready try a "proper" distro.

Lindows should be renamed Linux Junior imo :)

some screenies in the thread in software, on bypassing "click-n-run" with lindows, dunno why i posted them there, DOh!

they are the default look.. not done anything to it really yet.