New Option for Installing Applications - W.A.I.T.

i know it's not a huge deal, but you should add a UID for "Photo Story 3" in the default config file...otherwise we cannot open the program without fixing it.

also, i am interested to know more about the 'stability' of this program:

- this program is written in C++, correct?

- how does it's cpu useage compare to wpi (now that you fixed the 100% cpu problem)?

- there is/was a problem with wpi getting an error:

a script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive.
(i believe it had something to do with the fact that wpi used a .hta file). the fix was to import a reg key first, and then delete it after using wpi. would/could this error apply? do we need that reg key? (more info here.)

I think the background pic is a good idea...but only if it doesn't create errors and such (and obviously, if we dont specify a bgimage then make it default to the current color scheme).

Edited by a06lp

another q:

how would we run a reg file?

CMD=???

and if we want the reg file to run before the installation, we just put that cmd before the installation cmd? and if we want it to run after installation, we just put that reg cmd line after the installation cmd?

also, how does the program determine %cdrom%? what file does it look for?

[edit]

also, how do we put a line break in a description (ex: I list several tweaks in a certain 'tweak' item - i want each one on a seperate line)?

[edit2]

found a slight bug:

If a name is too long, it gets cut off. see pic below (it's supposed to say "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1")

th_e61_wait.jpg

Edited by a06lp

3> Can this aplication be made to write lines to a install.bat file

or is there any other way to get this done???? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It could, but this is not something I planned. 

I currently run with with [guirunonce].

Why don't you like the "guirunone" option.

Bryan

2 REASONS WHY I PREFERE CMDLINES.TXT OVER GUIRUNONCE...

1: cmdlines.txt is run when no user is loged in yet, so any regtweaks,

for htkey current user would aply to anny of the users created at the later stage

of the setup, this would mean, that i could let a user pick out the 'tweaks'

(id rather call them safety settings) he or she wants and, leaving the rest out..

But because it still is suposed to be a somewhat unattended i would hate

to bugg a user 3 times for setup questions..

> 1 time for disk setup,

> About 10mins later for tweaks setup,

> and an aditional 10mins later for Software Setup...

But if i could make the 2nd wizzard write me a softwaresetup.bat file...

i could ask the user, to (in sceen 1) pick thair tweaks,

and (in screen 2) pick thair software, write the software install batch script, and run it later on in the setup, by calling it from [runonce] because most aps nead to be logged in for installing...

get it????

Ok found the reason for the multi instances of CAT.....

Required

app1

app2

app3

app4

app5

Required

app7

app8 ect...

should not there be just one Required?

I was copy and pasting from another program and even though I used

just portions of the c\p it would corrupt CAT to the point of creating another

of itself..........

BD

i know it's not a huge deal, but you should add a UID for "Photo Story 3" in the default config file...otherwise we cannot open the program without fixing it.

Will be corrected in the next version

also, i am interested to know more about the 'stability' of this program:

- this program is written in C++, correct?

correct
- how does it's cpu useage compare to wpi (now that you fixed the 100% cpu problem)?

I am not sure about "compared to wpi" but on my machine the CPU is at 1% during install from WAIT

- there is/was a problem with wpi getting an error:

a script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive.

(i believe it had something to do with the fact that wpi used a .hta file).  the fix was to import a reg key first, and then delete it after using wpi.  would/could this error apply?  do we need that reg key?

This "problem" will not exist in WAIT. You do not need the reg file either.
I think the background pic is a good idea...but only if it doesn't create errors and such (and obviously, if we dont specify a bgimage then make it default to the current color scheme).

I will look into a background picture.

how would we run a reg file?

CMD=???

CMD=regedit /s %cdrom%\apps\regfiles\file.reg

and if we want the reg file to run before the installation, we just put that cmd before the installation cmd?  and if we want it to run after installation, we just put that reg cmd line after the installation cmd?
correct
also, how does the program determine %cdrom%? what file does it look for?

It looks for ALLDVD.TXT in the root directory

also, how do we put a line break in a description (ex: I list several tweaks in a certain 'tweak' item - i want each one on a seperate line)?
currently you cannot - I will add code to handle this. How about %LB% (for line break)?
found a slight bug:

If a name is too long, it gets cut off.  see pic below (it's supposed to say "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1")

This is not a bug as much as running out of room on the screen. There is a limit to the amount of text that can be displayed for each checkbox. There is really no solution to this problem. I can only allow so much space. Suggestions?

2 REASONS WHY I PREFERE CMDLINES.TXT OVER GUIRUNONCE...

Yup - I fully understand what you are saying. I have solved the problem you described as follows.

1) reg /load XPTWEAKS %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.dat

2) change all [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\... to [HKEY_USERS\XPTWEAKS\...

3) run all your reg updates

4) reg /unload XPTWEAKS

This will set the reg settings to the default user. Every new user you create will have these setting as defaults now.

And for the crash,,,, its all time  :(

I have no idea. I do not have this problem and it would seem that no one else does either. I will see if I can add some stack trace code. If so, it will create a text file if the program crashes. If you send me the file I can (hoepfully) trace where the program crashed. I will see if I can add it in the next version.

By the way , whats is  WI "MCF".

it's MFC and that stands for "Microsoft foundation classes". It's the class library that comes with MS VC++