Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Thanks guys :)

This might be the closest thing any of us ever comes to a "bugfree" Microsoft OS. Anyway, remember to expand the svcpack.in_ before integrating other stuff, because it's not empty.

@hoak - Someone definately ought to start collecting XP/2003 updates, and I'll be more than happy to share my experience. But right now I need a break ;)

@RyanVM - do you know if you have a "complete" collection of XPSP3 fixes this far?

Localized versions is something I still have to look into. So is WSUS. And it's definately time for some serious Option Pack action soon!

A big THANK YOU btw to all who has helped providing hotfixes for USP5 !!!! You guys are the best :thumbup

@nateklomp - Not a problem :D USP 5.1 will contain the MDAC, IE6, DX9 (etc..) components. The "not-option" pack DA/DX/IC .exe's require manual integration, but it's not worth it, because they'll be part of USP 5.1. These small .exe's are only available for convenience, because they actually seem to do a better install (less registry pollution) and a cleaner uninstall than the MS installers. Also, DA and DX may be safely uninstalled - the MS versions may not be uninstalled at all.

@the_guy - Thanks :) - no I don't know when the USP 5.1 (= USP 5.0 + Option Pack) will be finished - but it will definately not take as long as the USP 5.0, because it's basically much less complicated. I'm not very good at estimating stuff because I'm too thorough - actually I think I'm about to lose my job because of that... :( :(

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

ok. If you need any files from XP, let me know. Something on MDGx's website shows how to update Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player to the Version included in SP2. I'd ask him if they work with windows 2000 or not. Other than that, This service pack is really good.

the_guy

should I use "gold" 2k to slipstream sp5?

A few pages ago Gurgelmeyer wrote that there's no difference between installing it on a Gold CD or on a SP4 CD... :)

I'm currently testing it with all the option packs. Integrated the SP with nLite SP feature and the option packs with the nLite Hotfixes feature...

Zl.

EDIT: hmmm... Installation halted when installing hardware. Maybe because the option packs were not meant to be installed as if they were hotfixes, so I'll try again without the optional packages. I hope someone can enlighten me how I should integrate all this candy into my installCD...

Edited by ZenLord

You may use a gold/sp1/sp2/sp3/sp4 image for slipstreaming - gold or sp4 is recommended.

Don't attempt to integrate DX - that definately won't work ;)

Btw, the IC/DA/DX packages are not "Option Packs" - the real "Option Pack" is not finished.

It is usually possible to do a manual slipstream of IC.EXE and DA.EXE like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828930 (look for the section named "Earlier versions of Update.exe")

Haven't tried it with the latest IC/DA.EXE builds yet though.

Gurgelmeyer B)

It is usually possible to do a manual slipstream of IC.EXE and DA.EXE like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828930  (look for the section named "Earlier versions of Update.exe")

Haven't tried it with the latest IC/DA.EXE builds yet though.

Will try it again later, but integrating as hotfixes with nLite didn't work (omitting the dx this time). Installing with SP5 integrated was a breeze however - I'd forgotten how fast Win2k was!!!

THX! Will be experimenting some more...

Zl.

Forgive me my ignorance, I have been following this topic for about a month now, and now that it has gone final I realise that I have no idea where to donload this file from.

little help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Keep up the good work Gurgelmeyer, rest assured your hard work has not gone unappreciated.