why the speed is too low?

Woomera

the last 3,4 games that i tried to play on my pc was too slow.so i need to know whats the problem or what i need to change(hardware).so any idea's with these informations :

ram:512mb

cpu:athlon xp 2.6+

graphic card:Gainward geforce fx 5600 256mb

windows:xp sp2

mainboard:gigabyte 7n400

and recently in some resolutions with an specified refresh rate my monitor start flicking.anyone seen this before?

thanks you all for a perfect forum :thumbup

and the game that i played:(that ran slow)

riddick

demon stone

soldner

medal of honor 2

thanks again

hmm i don't think u need to buy anything.

yea resolution is important. try lowers

also did u install the chipset drivers? just as of yesterday a friend of mine had the same problem and it wasn't any fancy game we were playing CnC Red Alert 2. so i suggest u check the drivers.

well i would format and reinstall everything before going out to buy something.

at the moment the most important for gamers is to have the latest graphic gard. i would go for one of those ATI XTs. next with that hardware config the best is to increase the ram (a total of 1gb should be enough if is ddr400). you didn't talk about your HD, if you want to move over sata you'll also need to buy a new mobo that i don't recomment.

cpu is enough so have fun and tell us how you ran HL2 :)

okay i still do not think u need to buy anything but if u really have to u should get a new graphics card.

here's my setup:

cpu: Athlon 2500+ (1.83ghz)

ram: Kingston 512MB ram pc2700 (333mhz)

gcard: Leadtek Geforce 6800gt 256mb

mb: Asus A7V8X-X

hdd1: hitachi | 160gb | 7200rpm |ata 133 | 8mb cache

hdd2: w&d | 120gb | 7200rpm | ata 100 | 8 mb cache

hdd3: seagate | 40gb | 7200rpm | ata 100 | 2mb cache

i can play all of the games like hl2, doom3 etc.at high quality with 16x aa..., i do need to get more ram though, nothing else.

u definitely don't need to move to SATA! nor need to get a new mobo.

my ram is kingstone 512mb 333,and my hdd is maxtore 120gb.

and for resolution,for example for RIDDICK i got all the options on the lowest and from my graphic driver that is the latest one i disabled all the graphical options and still its slow.

and my problem is not with the grahic ,its with performance.

and im sure its not from my process's .just wanna know changing what part of my pc make the biggest diffrence?

and about my pocket,i just can take one shot.

ex: buy a new mainboard and cpu

or buy the geforce fx5900

they cost me nearly same.

thanks guys youre all cool :thumbup

don't get the fx5900, for that much money get ati 9800pro or xt.

or better shot get one of the newest 6600 series they're cheaper then 6800's but i'm not quite sure if they've agp version, i think they do

anyways i suggest u look at

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/index.html

before making any decisions on graphics cards..

i suggest u to get ram & graphics card.

also come to think about it check if u have spyware, virus, too many apps running, too many start-up items. etc stuff like that.. defrag as well then decide..

yep i updated it 2 days ago(NOD32) and i checked the whole system.

i saw the tomshardware.but my biggest problem is with the manufactor's.

i mean wich graphic board is better? msi?gigabyte?leadtek?...?

please help me with that,i found nothin about that on tomshardware.

and is there any site for this that i can compare the prices between these products?

thanks alot. :hello:

I would go for a nVidia 6600GT or 6800SE card, both 128MB and AGP. You can unlock a lot on the 6800SE, that makes it a SE, with RivaTuner. These cards work well with pixel shader model 2 and 3, and that’s what these games like to use!

Also, buy an extra 256MB DIMM, most of the games are asking for a minimum of 256MB but will run a lot better on 512MB.

XtremeMaC is right in his postings. DON´T go for HYPED UP system specs, like 1GB RAM, 256MB video RAM, S-ATA HDDs (with or without 8MB cache).

So, go by steps, first change the video card, and then put more RAM...

:D

PS, any brand will do fine, most of the 6600GT / 6800SE cards are the same.

I personaly like MSI and ASUS. (I don´t know how advanced Iran is, but if it´s like Mexico you will have problems finding good cards...)

forgot to mention

check this page

http://www.community.tomshardware.com/foru...=collapsed&sb=5

it contains list of good & bad brands for both ati & nvidia solutions.

i've leadtek. i didn't get asus 6800gt because it was 128mb instead of 256 and it was about the same price.. i ordered mine to a friend from usa who was coming to Turkey, so only card exist at 6800 level was the normal version of 6800, but 6600 is more popular on the shelves..

i thing i know about ati brands is to avoid powercolor :D my friend bought it b4 toms hardware got their guide up :P

okay just for quick review here are cards to avoid:

Cards to Avoid

GeForce FX5600 (non-Ultra)/XT

Pros- DX9 support

Cons- Gets wasted by Radeons. Not good value for money

GeForce FX5600 Ultra rev1.0/2.0

Pros- DX9 support, fairly good DX8 performance (rev2.0)

Cons- Poor DX9 perforamance, Radeon 9600 Pro and faster cards are much better for both DX8 and DX9. Not good value for money

GeForce FX5900 SE/XT, GeForce PCX 5900 (PCI Express)

Pros- DX9 support, excellent DX8 performance, good AA/AF peformance

Cons- poor DX9 performance, and you can get a Radeon 9800 Pro for little more, which is a better card in every area. Radeon X700 Pro (and of course faster GeForce 6600GT, Radeon X700XY) is a much better choice in PCI express segment.

Radeon 9800SE

Pros- DX9 support

Cons- 128 bit memory versions are slower than Radeon 9600 Pro, rare 256 bit memory versions are very hard to find which perform on par with Radeon 9600 Pro. Both versions are poor value for money

Radeon 9800 Pro (128 bit memory version)

Comment- Recently we've seen many Radeon 9800 Pro with crippled 128 bit memory. This makes Radeon 9800 Pro only little better than Radeon 9600XT. If you can find one for R9600 XT price, then you may consider buying this card, but R9600 XT has other advantages like less power consumption and ability to run without extra power connector.

XGI Volari V8 Duo Ultra

Pros- DX9 support

Cons- Not impressive performance in common benchmarks, very poor performance in games that usually aren't used as benchmark, quality issues, Very slow SuperSampling AA technology, only 4x AF, extremely poor driver, hard to find, very expensive

Comment: Buy this card only if you want a dual GPU card for your collection. Get a real card for gaming

OBSOLETE HIGH END CARDS :

Radeon 9800XT, Radeon 9800 Pro (256 MB version), GeForce FX5950 Ultra, GeForce FX5900 Ultra

Edited by XtremeMaC

Try what SiMoNsAyS first. You make it sound like these games just started to behave poorly and didn't before. If they behave the same after a format and re-install, then the situation should be clearer for you. If they improve in performance, then you have done the least expensive method.

DL