Need Help Speeding up WinXP Pro boot (disable?)

RichTJ99

Hi,

My XP Pro SP2 PC has been up & running for about 4 months. The main programs that run after start up are Norton Anti Virus 2004 & Microsoft ActiveSync.

I have gone through MSConfig & the only thing checked under startup the only things still checked are: CCAPP (NAV) & WCESCOMM (Active Sync).

I went into the registry & went to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The only things in there are the two items above.

There seem to be a lot of services listed under MSCONFIG that start at startup. I have not unchecked any of them but there seems to be a ton of stuff there. Is that safe to play with?

Any other locations that I missed ?

This PC is a 3.2GHZ, 1 gig ram, 74mb Raptor drive. It was very very quick when I did my unattended install on it & while I could do another reinstall (after a lengthy backup process), I would prefer to just speed this up.

Win XP Pro boots quickly, & then hangs for about 30-40 seconds on the welcome screen. I am usually not in the room while the PC boots up so its something i just noticed.

Thanks again,

Rich

I would guess that there are just way to many services starting up. I do not think its a virus (regular daily scans with latest virus defs).

Hrm. Actually I do have one network drive mapped. Let me knock that off & give it a try.

I would say it's a virus or something, but if you have NAV then it can't be it... Check your virus definition updates and look for some spyware removal tools.

Maybe you set some network drives wich xp is mounting while logon...

LOL...LOL...LOLm, you sure about that. NAV sucks! period!

id bet your speed problem IS norton! Seriously. Not only is it 'poor' at virus detection, it the clunkiest software i know of next to aol.

Disabling services will speed up your boot and use less resources while your pc is on. Blackviper (use google) has a good explanation of these and a list of reccomended settings.

Was the SP2 update slipstreamed? otherwise ive noticed it slows things down, slipstreaming it though has no affect on system performance according to many users, including myself.

Argh, you people...

"I have a slow down!" so it MUST be a VIRUS.... :realmad:

DO NOT use msconfig for Service configuration, use SERVICES.MSC.

If you have a home network, the only Services you need active are Server, Workstation and Computer Browser. Network Connections, Remote Access this and that can be disabled. Core services are RPC, Event Log (if you don't use nLite that is :P), DHCP (for most high speed connections), Plug and Play and Windows Audio. The rest you can pretty much disable except for the odd few that you may need for whatever different software you may use. Take 20 minutes of your day and mess around. No service disabled will lock you out or give you BSOD. Good luck and it Norton's Services will screw you over as well. Don't use such crappy bloat. Use Kaspersky or NOD32 or SOMETHING ELSE! *Wonders where that AV thread on MSFN went to that listed the top 100 software out there and what the highest ones were. Kaspersky removed 99.8% of 70,000 phony viruses on a test machine. So..use other software, not bloat.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I use MSINFO32 and look in the software section, the "loaded modules" section for non-microsoft files that load into memory.

The "running tasks" section also give an indication of just what's going on.

Seems to me, "hanging during startup" is often a background communication attempt. I'm sick of "time services" DNS rec-updates, nero-checks etcs, and who knows what all deciding to phone home before I've even made a browser request. But that's what's going on.......

Everything form MB chipsets to Adobe Acrobat is setting itself up for "auto update" checking. No telling, how these modules perform when the network isn't ready, nor how they "time out " how often they retry......

But I digress...... of course, all these programs work perfectly--all the time.

I recommend you download Mike Lin's freeware Startup Control Panel utility (59KB). It will install an icon in the Control Panel which allows you to view all of the areas where items that startup on boot can hide. I usually delete everything (I have nothing apart from services).

Then, as others have said, visit Black Viper's excellent website: http://www.blackviper.com. Go to his Windows XP Services section (make sure you choose the correct one depending on which service pack you have installed), read the guide carefully and try some of the service configurations he suggests. I personally use somthing similar to his "Bare Bones" approach. :)

Bootvis does make a difference to your boot times, despite what some say. Download it here: bootvis.msi.

Finally, please read the following Microsoft KnowledgeBase article: Windows XP Welcome Screen Appears to Stop Responding (Hang) During Logon.

defrag, check for spyware & virus

alternative startup modification program autoruns from http://www.sysinternals.com its pretty good and free, also u can have a look at metaproducts startup organizer.. which is not free...

bootvis does help

also u know XP has a cache control called "prefetch" delete the items in there...

if u've installed many programs and uninstalled many programs refer to a registry cleaning program then defrag your registry.. (i use registry first aid to check..)

etc....

Also, you could go over to the nLite forum and remove 98% of the bloat currently captured from within the program. The 2% will be the stuff you actually need. You know that Event Log Service? Not even on my system...well...except for a crapload of leftover reg that Nuhi missed. I wonder what he's doing for v1.0. Anyways, defrag, check start-up stuff, disable Services, Bud4wiser made an excellent point. I'm tired.

Cheers,

Jeremy