Tearing my hair out over memory problems!

whocrazy

CLASYS does have a point,memory is obviously going to age,there was the old ram and now the sdram now the ddr n whats next?maybe ram thats built in to the mobo

hmm, to some extent CLASYS might be on to something. not sure why I went too far in saying in completely disagreeing in memory slowing down with age. must have been something I ate that made me act that way.

Don't get me wrong CLASYS, I respect your opinion. It doesn't mean I have to agree with everything you say. what do you mean by 'reliable memory'? and have you read the articles (that I bookmarked) written by Fred Langa on questions on how to get the 'right' memory modules.

as for me, I do shop at places (such as Fry's Electronics and Best Buy near where I live) where I can find the memory chips that work on my machines. You can use 'reliable' RAM chips as long as your machines support them. like I said before, using unsupported RAM modules (like the DDR ram chip on a non-DDR system) can be as bad as installing supported BUT defective memory chips.

The ram chips I bought haven't broken down so my experience is different.

Solves 512 MB of RAM problem.

Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but does it mean that, after installing the SP 2.0 RCIb I can put 1Gb of ram in my computer and effectively use 1Gb (without modifying the ini file)?

Yes. SP has carefully selected files and settings (.ini) for supporting 1 GB RAM on the Windows 98 SE.

Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but does it mean that, after installing the SP 2.0 RCIb I can put 1Gb of ram in my computer and effectively use 1Gb (without modifying the ini file)?

certainly, Fredledingue. just be sure you have installed the right RAM modules for your computer. I assume you are using a relatively new PC that can allow the use of 1 Gb of RAM. Then you can use the memory tweaks Gape mentioned earlier.

I've found a Microsoft site that mentions the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool here:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

It's freeware & it might be a good tool to use to check for problems with RAM chips.

A better RAM diagnostic tool is RAMExam mentioned here:

http://www.qualitas.com/product/ramexam/whatisre.htm

This one is not free so you'll have to pay for this one.

erpdude8... how do you rate MemTest86.... somewhere in between those 2?

I did get a chance to test out MemTest-86 horsecharles. Pretty good. A little better than the MS Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Not sure with RAMExam. The makers of RAMExam have a demo but the demo version is nearly worthless.

as for Fredledingue's question, the SP upgrade may support up to 2 Gb of RAM. Win95, 98 & ME can theoretically access up to 2 gigs of RAM and no higher than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up on types of memory chips--

Assuming users are using desktop computers and not laptop computers,

DDR memory chips like the PC2100 kind that my friend's computer

(which uses AMD M825g Motherboard) are 184-pin sized modules.

The memory chips that my computer and my brother's computer

(which are PC 133 & PC 100 SDRAM chips) are 168-pin sized modules.

That means DDR RAM chips are a little longer than those older

PC100/PC133 SDRAM chips and will not fit on the memory slots

on our computers. and thus DDR memory chips aren't supported

on the PCs we have.

if I wanted to use DDR PC2100 SDRAM modules, I'll have to get a

new PC or new motherboard that can accept DDR memory chips.

erpdude8

as for Fredledingue's question, the SP upgrade may support up to 2 Gb of RAM.  Win95, 98 & ME can theoretically access up to 2 gigs of RAM and no higher than that.

erpdude8, do you know anyone or have heard of anyone successfully running 2gb ram with 98se, I have always been told 1gb was max limit??? TIAFAI

PS: I'm running 1gb now, mobo will take 2gb, but those 1gb sticks are $$$ so

I'd like to make sure b4 spending $s

nope. none that i know of randiroo76073.

be sure that you have purchased the correct memory sticks for your mobo.

check with your mobo manual to see what type of memory chips it can use before buying.

erpdude8, do you know anyone or have heard of anyone successfully running 2gb ram with 98se, I have always been told 1gb was max limit??? TIAFAI

PS: I'm running 1gb now, mobo will take 2gb, but those 1gb sticks are $$$ so

I'd like to make sure b4 spending $s

yup, those 1Gb memory chips costs a few hundred bucks. i have found a kingston memory module compatible for your pc at the bestbuy.com web site [1gb, ddr pc2700], regular price is around $250 but sale price is about $190.

for all those who make posts here on this thread might want to check out either the CircuitCity.com site or BestBuy.com site and search for memory modules for desktop/laptop computers. click on the 'Store Locator' link at either site to find a local Best Buy or Circuit City store near your area.

Yes. SP has carefully selected files and settings (.ini) for supporting 1 GB RAM on the Windows 98 SE.

Is there something else that has to be done by the SP installer on a machine with >=1GB, as opposed to 512MB or 768MB?

erpdude, I read of a couple of guys who said they were running 2gb, but they had 64 bit processors[1 AMD,1 Intel] & I ain't there yet :no: Time I get there they'll have 256 bit processors :whistle::D

ssmokesee, I'm currently running 1gb ddr 2700[Kingston x 2-512's], works great!