Shrinking System32 folder - OEMBIOS.BIN

mpattonm

Hey guys, mpatton posted this same question on the mp3car forums and I posted one solution that may interest you guys. Go here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37724 It's how to use the minlogon component from XP embedded. Just like EWF, it may not be for everyone, but at least it gets rid of this freaking 12.5MB file.

Later,

Frito

Now this could be really kewl !!!

I wish that site would work for me; I can't get any sort of response from it.

Could someone quote the relevant post off of their board, please?

Well, I can't remember what my boot time was under a normal XP install. Probably 40+ seconds. I don't have a RAID setup or anything. I just use nLite and disable Services. That's all. 17 seconds.

Has anybody try this on a Productive system?

Does it actually work? And no confilicts with other software?

Will you still have to logon like you do in WinXP.

Honestly this sounds really interesting, because not only you get rid off a 12.5 Mb file. We also get faster startup time.

Well, just removing the files will disallow you to login again :whistle:

You need some XP Embedded components to do the trick

EDIT Just tested it:

+

Startup time improved

No more user profiles

get rid of the oembios files

-

No hibernation

No standby

i got improved shutdown time too (its only tested in vmware... but it took like 1-2second from hitting the shutdown button) :thumbup

but i wonder what the security issuse of this would be?? would the system be less secure or more :unsure:

While i was testing this oem thingy it corrupted activation in many ways...so drop the subject even it is big and we want to see it out.

Sorry...but i want to keep this proggy as legal as possible.

Nuhi, that is really unfair just to blow our effort-stressed attempts out of the water like that. I don't even DO activation on my system and neither do Corporate users. It gets rid of several things and makes things faster. Why would THIS particular thing make nLite illegal??? I see no difference between this and when someone posts about codecs not working for WMP because nLite "did something not quite right somewhere"...so then things get debugged and you fix things just like you fixed the startup lag from removed Event Log Service. So what gives?

PS: There are already like half a dozen components in nLite that make it so you can't activate, so I see absolutely no difference with this...

By using XP embedded components on an Windows XP installation you need to have an XP embedded license.

This tweak isn't necessary for nLite, but meaby someone knows how to manually adjust the unattended cd to have minlogon used also during installation, so all software is installed on the SYSTEM account B)

Please let me know

The only reason I'm looking at all these XPe components is for my carpc system, that's why I say that stuff like EWF and minlogon might not be of interest for nlite users that just want to slim their XP installs. I don't think I'd use minlogon for my desktop. A lot of us are using nlite for our car systems. MinLogon and EWF give us more choices for what media to install to (flash, cd, etc.), decrease footprint, and improve cold boot performance. I'm not looking to try and circumvent MSFT's activation features.

On a side note, someone above mentioned that hibernate and standby don't work with minlogon. That's incorrect. They in fact do work with minlogon from XPe SP2. If it's not working for you make sure you got the right minlogon. I've tested both without a problem.