Story of my dad switching to Firefox...

Synapse

so.. its 6:30 am.. i'm making breakfast and my dad is browsing the net... every 30 seconds or so.. i hear his popup blocker sound go off. and he says he normally gets about 50 popups that aren't blocked per hour.. so i run spybot and adware.. no signs of Spyware.. so i tell him i'm gonna download Mozilla Firefox.. he argued nothing could be better then Internet Explorer that comes with Windows.. so i tell him.. spend 30 minutes on Firefox, i bet it'll change you... I told him to show the true power i'll also turn off his popup blocker. he though i was crazy... lol.

2 hours later.....

not a single popup...

Move over Microsoft! another switched Internet Explorer to FireFox person :D

only gripe he has for it so far, is that it takes about 5 seconds longer to start up when first run everytime the computer got restarted.

had to post it ;) even though no one cares lol.

i don't know what everyone has against IE.. i use it at home work all the time, and yet i have NO POPUPS. or spyware or anything bad....although, i'm paranoid about spyware and do scans all the time, so maybe i'm a rarity, but firefox is bad in one sense, as i run into more net admins and techs that are too lazy just to fix the spyware running on their machines, they decide to install firefox , and completely ignore the problem at hand, but good for you all that use it, IE;s not perfect, but it's weird how so many people have so much problems with it.....there my rants over.....

Trying firefox is adopting it.

@techguy21801: what people have against IE? Everything! It's your computer's main security hole. It's rather featureless, not standards compliant, defective CSS2 support at best, ... The list is endless. IE is probably the worst of all browsers (with the exception of maybe Lynx). If you did design websites ("real" ones), you'd hate IE too. If it wasn't for windows update, this thing wouldn't be on my PC at all.

As for spyware scanning, firefox isn't a bad thing. You're used to run those scans like rebooting and starting to accept it like a normal thing to do, whereas if you used firefox, you'd realize you never get any of that stuff on your PC, and when you scan it never finds anything.

It's not about lazyness, it's about security, having no spyware/trojans/backdoors/popups and other scum on your PC, it's about having a real, decent, standards compliant browser that works well and that has lots of great extensions and everything. Even if it there wasn't firefox, I still wouldn't use IE. IE makes you wish you didn't have internet!

...I run into more net admins and techs that are too lazy just to fix the spyware running on their machines, they decide to install firefox...

Rofl, yeah why in God's name would you want to not get the spyware in the first place when you could be spending the time to fix it! All the while having a better browsing experince... That's just crazy.

It's not about lazyness, it's about security, having no spyware/trojans/backdoors/popups and other scum on your PC, it's about having a real, decent, standards compliant browser that works well and that has lots of great extensions and everything. Even if it there wasn't firefox, I still wouldn't use IE. IE makes you wish you didn't have internet!

You're exactly right. It's all about security. I've been into Internet security for a good while now, and I still am learning more and more. Recently I wrote up a page of my own about how to have a clean, efficient OS. I've tacked it into my signature here and I've been helping many friends as well.

You can view my post here. If you want to post your Hijack This log, just do a reply in that thread or PM me, though I recommend the thread post. ;)

If you want to jump straight into the website, you can click here.

The applications suggested are the best I've found and used thus far that are efficient and free.

Actual quote from my friend "Razor" whom I helped with his system and his Hijack This log. He also switched to Firefox. ;)

Razor (5:14:01 PM): Whoa dude

Razor (5:14:12 PM): I have like, man oh man

Razor (5:14:16 PM): So much speed.

Razor (5:14:20 PM): IN this frickin computer

--Short while later, after more Ad-Aware cleanings and a reboot--

Razor (5:46:39 PM): WHOA!

Razor (5:46:48 PM): 96% system resources free

i'll give it a shot

If you feel comfortable with tweaking, I've gathered some of the best tweaks and even a few things to install to Firefox to help with tweaking here.

Chromedit is a great little add-on, allows you to easily edit and add many features.

If you need any help, you know you'll find it here and on the DjLizard.net forums too. :)