HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Hosted.

http://www.vorck.com/data/hfslip.zip

In the future, tommyp will insert a version file.

watch for version changes at the top of this thread in his edited post.

He did fantastic work and went where angels feared to tread... No way would I have tackled this, honestly.

The coolest thing for me and fans of IE removal... his method is compatable with my files, with a slight adjustment that he'll be making. B)

Kudos, to FDV for hosting that file. Hopefully more can benefit from the lack of SP5 and for those who want to slipstream IE6 or even eliminate IE all together. I'll update the first post of this thread when new versions come out.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest files are copied with xcopy and the appropriate switches. If in doubt, run the script, install the source and test it with the Microsoft Baseline Analyzer or the hfnetchk program.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear TommyP,

I have right now integrated all the hotfixes to my xp source with the latest batch files but I have all the fixes integrated except 2 which are;

KB 893803 (which is MSI installer 3.1)

KB 885836 (which is I dont know in fact)

all others are ok.And also I use Turkish win xp source.

Do I have to mess with the content of XPHFMSI.INF or XPPOSTSP.INF in terms of language?( I saw a section in XPHFMSI.INF at the end related to language)

What may be the reason that they do not seem to be integrated? also a last thing is that my msi version seems to be 3.01.4000.1823 when I execute msiexec.exe.

thanks to everyone for help in advance

Dear TommyP,

I have right now integrated all the hotfixes to my xp source with the latest batch files but I have all the fixes integrated except 2 which are;

KB 893803 (which is MSI installer 3.1)

KB 885836 (which is I dont know in fact)

all others are ok.And also I use Turkish win xp source.

Do I have to mess with the content of XPHFMSI.INF or XPPOSTSP.INF in terms of language?( I saw a section in XPHFMSI.INF at the end related to language)

What may be the reason that they do not seem to be integrated? also a last thing is that my msi version seems to be 3.01.4000.1823 when I execute msiexec.exe.

thanks to everyone for help in advance

Any comments on my topic please!!

Hello all, and Tommyp!

I'm very glad to have found your script, I've been trying to find a solution for this for a few months off and on. The whole process has taken me on a wild adventure, which I am glad to have the experience for. I'll go into details after a question, so those of you who do not wish to read so much may be spared its' length :)

I set up the folders and inserted files (ie6) and such per the instructions of all the text files, ran the CMD and everything seemed to execute properly. But on install from this CD my Internet Explorer folder is almost empty. No IE or Outlook icons are present. My fdvfiles dir is empty, that was the first thing I checked :) I've examined the cabs processed by the script and it seems to be okay, so I'm thinking the problems lies somewhere in the install or copy of ie6 files during win2000 installation. I saw one other mention on the forum of this happening, and a suggestion to reread instructions and try again. I tried 3 times double checking myself and it seems to be right. Any suggestions on what to look for, or where I can check if the files are being copied or installed during win2k installation? Also I had some unattended setup options and other tweaks in my source before I ran the script, could there be a conflict there?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may offer!

Read the bold in the story below for some useful programs that may also help you in your trails of the Unattended Boot cd.

~~~

The story commences: In my happiness and excitement of finding this script, I quickly set up the files as instructed, drop in my ie6 files and download all the hotfixes I need. I edit the TXTSETUP.SIF to remove the box at the end of the file, but remove the line breaks at the end of the previous entry. So when I run the CMD file, the append command creates a conflict in the file. After the script finishes, I happily burn a cd and pop it into my laptop, expecting all to go well as it has with my other unattended bootable cds. The installer pauses at it's blue screen and mocks me with the quite vague "Line 11933 of the inf file is invalid." THE inf file? WHAT INF FILE? oi. So, trying to figure out what inf file I burn a cd-rw with the two largest infs renamed to try and eliminate the problem file. No go. Frustrated with recompling an iso and burning 3 cd-rws to match to try and detect the problem file, I turn to Virtual PC from Microsoft. Another unattended install site suggested to use that to test Unattended Installs of Programs, but I didn't think it was going to be as easy or useful as it turned out to be! I keep describing to friends as a PC Emulator for the PC, which works out great for testing this kind of thing. I was getting a little sick of killing my laptop installation just to try an auto-install disc, now all I do is load the .ISO in the Virtual CD drive and boot! ;) Next, I take the long route of process of elimination to figure out the problem file in my disc setup. To remove the long process of rebuilding a bootable .ISO of the win2k setup files to determine the problem, I download MagicISO, an ISO-Image editor to ease my pain. Granted, I should have followed my initial instincts of seeing what problems may lay in the main files the CMD script and unattended installs work with and I probably would have saved myself an hours worth of grunt work, but I got two very useful programs out of the deal so I don't feel so bad about it.

So! Go try Virtual PC from Microsoft, VMWare is the competitor, for those trying to get away from Microsoft at least a little. And also try MagicISO which can edit and create bootable CDs also.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I have torrents if you need them!

@ DonJuan: I re-ran the script and the installer seems to have installed correctly. In other words, if I install XP with all the fixes, and then if I install the installer hotfix, there isn't substantial changes done to the machine to warrant a change of the script. Sorry pal, but it must be a fluke of the microsoft hotfix itself. TO answer part 2 of your Q regarding the turkish version. The script was based on using a english version of the source. It *could* work with other languages, but I'm not sure. However, most of the INF files seem pretty general that don't seem to be language specific. Sorry I kind of ended the answer open-ended. I'm by no means a computer weenie. I only dabble in this stuff as a hobbie.

@Cliphead: The only thing I would suggest is that you move the folder structure of the slipstreamer closer to the root of the drive and get rid of any spaces in any folder names. I have a feeling that the script has a problem with spaces in folder names. I don't plan on fixing that issue either. :)

@Cliphead:  The only thing I would suggest is that you move the folder structure of the slipstreamer closer to the root of the drive and get rid of any spaces in any folder names.

I tried that with a fresh copy of the Win2k cd to source, Slipstreamed sp4, and got an even worse result this time. It said some windows files were corrupted. How fun is that? Maybe a clue on how ie6sp2 gets transferred or installed and I check that to see if something got messed up? Or any other ideas from anyone would be great.

I just got my hands on a different copy of win2k. Maybe will try from that disc. Thanks!

Also, anyone tried my suggested proggies yet? ;) You'll love 'em.

Okay!

Well, I tried my install again with one little change, just to see what happened. It turns out, ie6 is installing but my icons are not being made. The ie about window says 5.something, like I've read has happened before.. so no huge deal :) I'm curious as to why the icons are not being created, any clues and I might fix it, might not. Since I use a different browser and a diffrent program to start Outlook anyway!

It doesn't appear that my runonceex.cmd was being processed, and a registry file I set to import some tweaks wasn't getting activated. Will look into that now. Thanks for reading!

Again! Figured out why my runonceex wasn't working, and changed the IE version in the registry so my program (Google Toobar) would install, added it into my registry tweaks to execute on install. Got a couple programs installing using the RunOnceEx.cmd method.

The Windows 2000 install seems a little unstable, and am missing one file auxauf.dll or something copying over on install. Any programs or suggestions to check stability of Win2000 y'all know of? Thanks in advance!