HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

I have a question about the Windows Genuine Advantage "thing"....

I know there has been some discussion about this, and between here and Ryan's forum, I don't recall seeing any specific "Here's how to do it". So I want to explain the way I do it and ask if there is any reason why I shouldn't do it this way or if there is something that I'm missing.

Note: I am NOT looking to cheat Microsoft. My Unattended Install is used in a corporate environment which is fully licensed and legitimate. The only issue I'm trying to take care of is implementing the WGA stuff so that users dont get faced with the pop up messages about installing ActiveX controls for the WGA items, and to make our unattended installation as complete as possible.

So... There is a DLL file called LegitCheckControl.DLL. On my installation image, I included that file (currently version 1.5.512.0) in my "$OEM$/$$/System32" folder so that during installation it is automatically copied to my "C:\Windows\System32" directory. Then, after my base install is completed, I have a line that runs from RunOnceEx that copies that executes "regsvr32.exe /s %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\LegitCheckControl.dll" and sure enough after the install is complete, if I try to go to Microsoft and download something that requires validation, it checks out ok.

The only downside to this is that while Microsoft assigns a KB number to the WGA installation (892130), they don't appear to have a redistributable version to be used when building images or doing a mass deployment, and when they decide to upgrade the version of the DLL file, you don't find out until you try to do something that requires validation again.

So anyhow... to my questions...

1. What are the rest of you doing to accomplish this as part of your installation (or do you just ignore it until you try to do something that needs to be validated?)

2. Does anyone see anything wrong with the way I'm doing this, or know of something that's going to cause problems if I do it this way.

and finally, 3. Is there a better way to do it? (I know this is asking for opinion, but this is a discussion forum, so be kind;)

Thanks,

David

u also have to add this entry to the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID] 
"{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}"="1"

better way to do it ....direct integration. :P

Edited by boooggy

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID] 

Who's post were you replying to? I don't think it was mine, because I don't have to add the registry key, and you can't do direct integration if they don't provide a redistributable installation package.

If you weren't replying to my post... nevermind...

OK, I guess you were replying to me after all. Not that I could tell from the post since you didn't indicate...

But I did a little looking into the inf file that controls laying down the WGA installation, and found the CLSID key you referred to. However, the explanation for why that key is added to the registry says "Limit Add-On Manager to always enabled".

Basically what this key does is it forces the WGA ActiveX contol to be locked in the enable state in Internet Explorer. Explanation (for anybody who might be confused) In IE, select "Tools -> Manage Add-Ons". This list shows you additional controls loaded into your IE, and by selecting each one, you have an option to enable or disable the add-on. The reg key that boooggy provided forces the WGA add-on to stay enabled.

I suppose I could add that key, but I don't see the benefit. If you turn it off in the Add-On Manager, then next time you need to validate, you will be told to download the control again.

Yeah, I think the ultimate moral of the story is that KB912945 needs to be installed as an exe rather than by the /integrate switch or any other integration method which involves directly overwriting files on the CD. For what it's worth, some people on my forum determined that mshtml.dll is the root cause of the problem.

I've been in touch with my contacts at MS, so hopefully the right people are being made aware of the issue for either an updated hotfix or (probably more likely) a fix in time for the next cumulative security update. I can't make any promises since it's out of my control, but at least the right people are finding out about it :)

However, I am having the same issue with the msobshel.htm error while integrating just KB904942 and KB912475. I am assuming I will just have to add those in manually in runonce. I am also using the newest version of nlite to integrate the new updates if that makes a difference?

Edited by darrell

Has anyone had any issues with these 2 updates KB904942 and KB912475. Everything was working fine with ryanvm's 2.02a cab and his media player cab until I attempted to integrate the new updates. I am still new to the integration scene, so this could be due to my rookieness.

In responce to dhoffman_98 that is the same way I integrate KB92130, I place LegitCheckControl.dll in \$OEM$\$$\system32\ in my UA disk and then I add this line to my RunOnceEX.cmd

REGSVR32 /S %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\LegitCheckControl.dll

I've never had any issues with this and I don't use any other additions to the registry, just every time they update WGA I just replace LegitCheckControl.dll with the newest version. I really don't know how else to go about doing this becuase I'm just not that smart, BUT I imagine you could compress the file with MAKECAB.EXE and then you could add something like this to your TXTSETUP.SIF

[SourceDisksFiles]
LegitCheckControl.dll = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

however I don't know what code you would have to add to HIVESYS.INF or other files in order to register the .dll and also since the file name is so long I don't know what the proper way to name the file would be.

So if anyone out there knows the answer to this... and I'm sure someone does. I think this would be a better solution than they way we are currently doing it since it would be direct integration to the source.

Edited by godan

Regarding KB912945, we have a resolution! This is from an email I received from someone at MS who was referred to me by my contact there.

Thank you for reporting this issue. We have identified this to be a problem with the package for KB912945, that the /integrate switch does not work, we did make a fix for this, but it did not get into the build that we published, but will function normally for the next security update that will be released no later than 4/11/2006.

We will be posting a known issue to the KB article in the next couple of days.

I got WGA agent to install like this:

REG ADD %KEY%\063 /VE /D "Updating the Windows Update Agent" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\063 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\wua.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart" /f