Notepad Replacement

Gape

So the version 2.0 will not contain any Notepad replacement.

However, there was a modified version original Notepad (which has more key-bindings) in the 1.x, I think we don't need this, too.

I also think you should keep the Notepad from 1.x

Anyone know of any editors which will allow you to copy and paste COLUMNS rather than most editors that only allow you to copy and paste ROWS?

This would be very useful to me.

Try UltraEdit. It has a "Column Mode"...

http://www.ultraedit.com/

I've been using it every day for about 5 years

Incidentaly, the other program [not an editor] that I use every day and find indispensable is Beyond Compare...

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

TED Notepad is the best it is THE only notepad except w9ndows notepad that fully supports unicode all others unicode support is terrible, even thou windows notepad is not everything i had to use it because of unicode but now i use ted notepad :w00t:

btw were can i get that modified original notepad ?? :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

What I want is basically XP's Notepad for Windows 95. Same as the older version, except that there is no file size limit, search and replace, plus the ability to jump to lines with numbers.

Isn't there any Notepad replacement that has the following features but does NOT resort to the RichText control?

What I want is basically XP's Notepad for Windows 95. Same as the older version, except that there is no file size limit, search and replace, plus the ability to jump to lines with numbers.

Isn't there any Notepad replacement that has the following features but does NOT resort to the RichText control?

I think NotepadEx is the best 'strict classic' Notepad replacement.

If does include everything what you want, no toolbars, highlighting, text formatting and other weird things Notepad should never have.

Plus it is fast and does not suffer from Richtext features [it IS based on Richedit, however, you should not notice it].

I can upload version with ~exact XP look [Lucida Console].

Have you tried KaiEdit ? It has line numbering, GoTo, S&R, favorites, tabbed multiple documents interface, opens big files (even binaries), syntax highlighting, and a quite unique and very usefull vertical selection mode. It's only in German though and it lacks wordwrap unfortunately.