RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

@Ryan ,

new critical update for windows XP is out - KB887811

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

would you be kind and intergrate into your pack? :D

I'm just curious if you read the KB article before actually assuming that it should be added.

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1

• Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

• Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

I don't see Service Pack 2 listed there......

Hi,

If it's not already enabled, tick on the "Use Passive FTP" option in the Internet Explorer Advanced settings.

I was having problems with the FTP download from Ryan's site until I enabled this option.

It might be to do with the FTP server being on a non-standard port.

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

Simon's PC Services

--

Some ISP's, (Comcast in particular,) will tell you you need to have the passive FTP transfer option checked when attempting any FTP downloads, so I fully reccomend making that part of your new setup by either a registry edit or other means. It will keep you from having to do it later every time.

There could be other reasons as well, especially if your behind a firewall, (or router,) of any sort you will want this option checked. All it does is force the issue of FTP's so they will work, no matter if they are on non-standard ports, through firewalls, routers, etc.

On another note, I can verify if you have an SP-1a disk and not a "GOLD" disk, when you slipstream SP-2, it will work without any problems. Also, if you have a key from an SP-1a disk and use a "GOLD" version to make your SP-2, the same key will work with the new SP-2 disk. I now have both a "GOLD" and SP-1a hologramed version of XP Professional, so I can confirm this myself, as I have personally done it both ways. Though home would be another story, I can almost say there shouldn't be any differences other than what they contain. I can also confirm that nLite will work with an SP-1a disk when slipstreaming to SP-2. If you need assistance in this feel free to PM me about it.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

:lol:, that explains why I couldn't reproduce it

EDIT: And I agree with what DisabledTrucker said. Here's the entries needed if you want to add it to your registry tweaks:

;Use Passive FTP Transfers With IE
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Ftp]
"Use PASV"="yes"

Keep in mind that it's an HKCU tweak, so it'll need to be applied at the T12 stage.

Thanks Ryan, I was looking for the exact entries for that. Here is the one to make it default for everyone:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\BROWSE\FTPPASV]
"DefaultValue"="yes"

Though I am not sure when to apply it, I apply it during RunOnceEx.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

you know I had the passive ticked and still couldn't download from the ftp.......

to solve this I tried removing the tick then save changes....readding the tick and saving...and behold I can now download :)

RyanVM

Great job...just one thing....don't put everyone in the class of none readers...

I have not had the error with the dll file they are talking about....but then I don't use nlite :)...but still read about it...

It's not that people don't read ...it's people want you to come over to their house and get it to work for them....:) geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz come on get with the program ;) start with mine first !!!

sorry RyanVM just givin ya a little sh**

Once again great work....work I'm glad I didn't have to do.

Cards in 5. You heard it here first :P;)

:)

yeah yeah

I'm beginning to think this is just the Sox' year. Ah well, the Cards have yet to lose at home during the playoffs, and the Sox were up 2-0 in 1986 too. It ain't over yet!

Thanks for the update.

A request, can some non-English users please make a list of all files included in the Lite pack which are English only? I've heard that WU5 and WScript 5.6 both fall in that category. Possibly KB834707.

What I'm thinking about doing is just having willing people create different versions for different languages and just hosting the files for them (obviously, it would be their job to support their pack at that point). At that point, I could let the Lite pack be what it really should be - a bare minimum update pack with no frills (instead of doing double duty as both a cut down version and an all-language version).

no matter what I do, i cannot download this. I used to be able to with 1.01 but 1.02 I can't. I've checked and uncheck that Passive FTP thing a million times. Checked any other setting I could think of and still can't, is there any other place I can download this from, or am I pretty much s*** out of luck.