HALF LIFE 2 - DVD Label For Steam Preload

FthrJACK

If you have preloaded HL2 from steam and want to backup your preload onto DVD, you might want a proper label for it (or print it onto the DVD iteself)

i made this earlier, hope someone has a use for it:

half_life2_DVDCOVER5_thumb.jpg

No, the game isnt released yet. it will stay on your PC in "locked" form, next week Valve are going to let people buy the game over steam.

However it will be like pre-ordering from a store. You still wont be able to play it then. Valve arent allowed to let people play the game until its publishers anounce the game as "GOLD" and it goes on sale in stores. So until the disks are in stores you cant play it.

buying over steam though saves you a trip to the store and you can play the game immediately the minute it goes on sale in shops.

if ever you format your pc dont worry, install steam again, login and it will download all the games you own again. OR.. just install steam and overwrite the program directory with your steam backup (what the DVD label is for)

If you purchase the game next week on steam then it will unlock Counterstrike Source, (and possibly the whole VAVLe back catalogue -- depending what package you buy) and you will be able to play that until HL2 is released.

there will be three packages, bronze, silver, and gold.

more info at www.steampowered.com

yes if you use your code from your ATI voucher.

ATI voucher holders will also be able to "upgrade" their voucher from Bronze level to whatever else they want by paying a small amount in conjunction with their voucher, the details are still being worked out so its not definate yet but VALVe are looking into doing it ready for purchase day so wait and see.

@FthrJACK i wonder how u got that picture? did u buy the game already?? u said u made it but that image is too good to be true :) (lol no offense i don't know your graphics ability, it to me looks like been done by a pro :D)

Mac.. i made it buddy, i made several others too but thats my fave one.

http://www.cme-corp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/exploded.jpg

Gordon came from a wallpaper, alyx also, but a different one. they where basically just cut out and some smoothing applied to the edges and stuff with the dodge/burn tools and smudge/blur. very minor touch-up. Some Feathering applied to Gordons right arm and shoulder where he overlaps alyx. Alyx was subjected to same treatment and scaled up a bit, also opacity tweeked on her. dont want her to be focus of attention, shes background.

the Lambda sign i drew, turned into a brush. then back in the image i made a layer, scalled the brush up and slapped it in, dropped the opacity, then rasterised it. added some effects like drop shadow, Gradient overlay etc.

Then with the delete tool and suitable brush i made it look worn and battered, and then feathered the outer edge too.

the black box is just that. a black box with opacity settings. the steam logo i got from steams site, inverted it, cleaned it up, made a brush. same for dvd logo, and ati logo. they are just brushes i made.

the text round the side was written out then attached to a path. the half life text is made using the HL2 font i found on the web. text has various effects applied, gradient overlay, drop shadow, inner glow, etc.

pretty simple really :)

Thanks for the props tho! :thumbup

Crispy... CE version sucks. it only has HL2 and CS:S and a silly tee shirt. oh and buying that puts money in VUG's pocket and they suck. you will only install the game, install steam, and put the box and disk on a shelf someplace and never touch it again. if you do ever have to reinstall from the disk then you are going to have to download all the updates from steam too.. where as if you made a backup of steam your game would be uptodate on disk.

Steam: silver package has more going for it and will cost less than CE :P

Other versions i did before comming up with the final design:

http://www.cme-corp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/h...2_DVDCOVER4.jpg

http://www.cme-corp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/h...2_DVDCOVER3.jpg

http://www.cme-corp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/h...2_DVDCOVER2.jpg

Cool label, but as I've always said; Collectors edition is the only true way to own HL2!  :P

but the gold edition you will be able to buy on steam will have more stuff than the collectors edition in shops :w00t: