.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

Thanks. That's what I thought.

One more thing... If I wanted to integrate this with a XP install CD [well, sorta] so that when I click install .NET Framework in the CD menu it will start the setup. Im assuming what I have to do is create a folder called DOTNETFX in the CD-root and put the contents in there (2 dir, and one file). Then I would also have to rename netfx to setup.

Would this work or would it fail to load because the netfx file is not an exe.

1. First download the .NET framework v1.1 re-distributable package, and run "dotnetfx.exe" with the "/C" switch (to extract contents).

2. Then download the .NET fw v1.1 SP1 update, and run "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe" with the /XP" switch (to extract contents).

3. A dialog box asking you where to save the MSP (update patch) comes up, choose where you want to save it (size 18,760 KB).

4. Rename that MSP to SP1.MSP, and place the extracted contents of dotnetfx.exe (.NET framework installer) in the same directory.

5. Clean the directory so sp1.msp, data1.cab, and netfx.msi are the only files (3 files) in the directory.

6. Run the following commands (from a command prompt):

CODE

msiexec /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR="c:\netfx1"

msiexec /p sp1.msp /a c:\netfx\netfx.msi

7. Your c:\netfx directory should have 3 items in it after this operation: 2 directories - Program Files & Win, and netfx.msi.

8. Now you can compress it to SFX (if compressed it will be just 17.5 MB, if left uncompressed it is 56.2 MB). And set it to silently extract.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=Netfx.msi /qn /norestart

TempMode

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

With WinRAR:

Choose SFX with best compression.

Copy the above into the comment window. (last tab)

Then ok to create a 17.5 Mb SFX.

Contents (already patched with sp1.msp):

netfx.msi

\Program Files

\Win

Think I got it all?

:thumbup

has anyone been able to utilize this in svcpack.inf?  Also, I think its been said that there is an error when using winrar temp extract (extracting to a temp dir)...

It works fine from cmdlines, don't know about svcpack.......

Also, I agree about the temp extraction being a bit quirky - I get it to extract to "%systemdrive%\install\dotnet\" because anyway I have a command at the end of my batch-files to delete the "%systemdrive%\install\" directory.

@echo off

if not exist sp1.exe goto end

if not exist dotnetfx.exe goto end

dotnetfx.exe /c /t:c:\a

sp1.exe /Xp:c:\

ren S867460.msp sp1.msp

msiexec /a c:\a\netfx.msi TARGETDIR="c:\b"

msiexec /p sp1.msp /a c:\b\netfx.msi

:end

exit

Put the above into a batch file and save it in c drive .

rename dotnet 1.1 ? to dotnetfx.exe .

rename NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe to sp1.exe .

with all files in c drive . execute the batch file .

files contained in b folder need to be SFX with winrar .

Should make it easier.

:)

Ok and now with a languagepack:

langpac1.cab

langpack.msi

I can run these too with /a and copy the files into the other folders, but I do not know if I still have to run langpack.msi (I think so). Can you add additional commands to WinRAR, I have used it in the past, but lost track a bit.

has anyone been able to utilize this in svcpack.inf?  Also, I think its been said that there is an error when using winrar temp extract (extracting to a temp dir)...

It works fine from cmdlines, don't know about svcpack.......

Also, I agree about the temp extraction being a bit quirky - I get it to extract to "%systemdrive%\install\dotnet\" because anyway I have a command at the end of my batch-files to delete the "%systemdrive%\install\" directory.

"Tempmode" works fine with winrar. Have tested it.

Tempmode is different to %temp% in the path editfield.

Your choice of method should be as good.

MHz, you must not be using best compression, mine compressed is like 12.3mb...but I set the sfx exactly how you have it, so now to test in svcpack.inf.

Just compressed again, got 17.5 again at best settings?

Using winrar 3.3.

:rolleyes:

hmmm, even ryanvm got 12.2 (not sfx)...I dunno, just seems weird yours is 5mb larger...you only have netfx.msi, win, and program files right?  Im also asking this because I wanna make sure I didnt forget to add something.

Yes, only them. Strange. Are you using winrar?

51.1 before compression. 17.5 after.

:huh:

Using WinRAR 3.3 best compression with no solid archive and with SFX module:

56.2 MB before compession

12.2 MB after.

If you are getting it significantly larger (I think 12.3 is OK, but 17.x is too much), then you need to check if you did the steps right.

Using WinRAR 3.3 best compression with no solid archive and with SFX module:

56.2 MB before compession

12.2 MB after.

If you are getting it significantly larger (I think 12.3 is OK, but 17.x is too much), then you need to check if you did the steps right.

i'm getting around 17mb for the sfx. wat steps did u guys use to make it smaller?