.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack

You are altering the msi file. Is that not after?

After installation? Absolutely not.

EDIT: I think we're arguing over semantics. A patched installation source can still be considered slipstreamed.

To slipstream SP2 into an XP install, you copy the install source files to your hard drive and run the SP2 update on that source - you patch the installation source. That installation source is now considered to be a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

The same idea applies here. You extract the .NET installation source files and patch them with .NET SP1, creating a slipstreamed install source.

I agree with the meaning of slip stream is to update the file like you do with XP going from Plain to SP1 to SP2 ...

NET frame 1.1 has a slipstream SP1 that you update the files in the plain netframe 1.1

This is where I may have confused you or I am confused ????????????

NET Frame is not slipstream into XP and never has been there is a folder for it called DOTNETFX it is a separate program that gets installed by the users,,,,

To me slipstream is updating files Not installing a programs...

You install programs from various places during the installations of XP....

Same with NETframe... Popupcop Zonealarm Mcafee Norton

If I am not correct in this definitions then I stand corrected...

OR Does slipstream included everything that we included in the runonex.. SVCPACK.INF driver folders etc etc

I agree with the meaning of slip stream is to update the file like you do with XP going from Plain to SP1 to SP2 ...

NET frame 1.1 has a slipstream SP1 that you update the files in the plain netframe 1.1

This is where I may have confused you oor I am confused ????????????

NET Frame is not slipstream into XP and never has been there is a folder for it called DOTNETFX it is a separate program that gets installed by the users,,,,

To me slipstream is updating files Not installing a programs...

You install programs from various places during the installations of XP....

Same with NETframe... Popupcop Zonealarm Mcafee Norton

If I am not correct in this definitions then I stand corrected...

OR Does slipstream included everthing that we included in the runonex.. SVCPACK.INF driver folders etc etc

Nobody's saying we're slipstreaming .NET into the XP install source (and if they are, they are misinformed). We're slipstreaming the .NET 1.1 SP1 update into the .NET 1.1 installation source. The second part is compressing the file and making it self-extracting to be installed along with the other programs (like you cited in your post).

You're mistaking where we're talking about slipstreaming.

EDIT: And the dotnetfx folder on the XP install source contains and outdated version of the .NET framework which XP doesn't even install. That folder is safe to delete.

LOL I was using the Dot folder as an example yes it is old 1.0 some thing ,,

Mine is gone already,,,

My netframe SP1 is done to used winrar SFX...

I cheat when it comes to the dos commands (for me they are easy)

I create a short cut to file and open the properties box then add tthe switches

The ones that you are extracting the files,,,

Then when you slip it do the same but put the switches on the end of the file you are slipping...

You don't have to go start RUN--> bla bla

When I did the sfx file I open winrar then changed the default setting then when I rarred it up...... it made the SFX file at the same time...

IF you are having trouble deleting the folders just get rid of them later when you clean up...

I am planning on putting a shortcut or a run key some where in the end to clean house

As a bonus

I still have not figured out for sure it you drop a lower number in the runonce it will only read low to high and if you drop a lower number it it will only pick it up on the next boot,,, I have one working that way right now..

But I have to make sure before I say for sure....

When My run once key goes off they go from 000 to 999 then when I get to 999 it puts a key back in numbered 000 .. it seems to skip the lower number and completes the boot up and restart then it gets the new 000 ... If that is true I will drop a lower number clean up runoneEx key in...

I'm using this method to prevent my caller ID from popping up a message saying you need to reboot bla bla bla,,, It pulls the run key then puts it backon the next reboot..

Mac!

Still having some dramas with this seems to install with the sfx ok on my early P4 machine but will only install on my later p4 main machine if I manually unpack & start the installer? The sfx basically extracts to temp folder but fails to install. I ran the self test in winrar & said the archive was ok with no errors my compressed archive is about the same as you guys around 12.3 meg just thought a bit strange as it installs on the other machine?

I've found that the WinRAR SFX module will on many occasions delete the files from the temp folder before setup is actually finished running, obviously causing many problems :P. My suggestion would be to have it extract to a temp folder (like c:\dotnet or something) and run setup from there. You can then have a line in your batch file afterwards to delete that installation directory (like rd /s/q "c:\dotnet").

Alright boys and girls, I've decided enough is enough. Below is a link to a self-extracting RAR archive which automatically extracts to %systemroot%\temp\dotnet (in other words, the temp folder within your Windows directory). From there, it starts netfx.msi (I personally use the /qb switch so I can see the progress meter. If you don't like it, open the exe in WinRAR and change the comment to /qn). If you want the files to be deleted afterwards, simply add a "rd /s/q %systemroot%\temp\dotnet" to your batch file to delete the directory.

I've tested it successfully in a clean install in VirtualPC.

EDIT: Link removed. See this post.

Thanks Ryan will try it the way describrd above (not that i really had any problems anyway, better safe than sorry as they say !)

EDIT: Having tested Ryan's SFX archive in conjunction with my "svcpack.inf" it appears to install ok at the T13 point but the progress bar does not close till the T8 point ????

Very strange as all my other updates are installed correctly at T13

So why is the installer "hanging" for so long after installation completes and why does windows contine installing even though the progress bar is still open ?

Hem, not really useful but I've used 7-zip to create the sfx file. It seems to work for the installation (thought I can only launch it from the install.exe i've to add and not directly from netfx.msi)

I did it as I got a 17Mo file with Winrar (french version, etheir that or I'm quite lame to configurate Winrar :} ) and 11Mo with 7-zip...

I will test it next time with VMware (when I will manage to launch XPlode with cmdlines.txt)

hey RyanVM, thrown in the towel, eh? (just kidding)

@everybody

hopefully, there will be no more problems - just download the link above (given by RyanVM) and execute it as one of the processes through your batch files (or XPlode or whatever). It is switch-less. You will have .NET v1.1 SP1 installed fine. :thumbup

There seems to be one problem with this approach. The SFX will not block the execution of a script, till it completes its installation. So if you use this in svcpack.inf, things will go unpredictable. Is there any chance to make this a "blocking SFX"?

you could remove the "run after extracted" command and place it in svcpack.inf..

Good idea, I will try it.

Currently I have modified the the skript to:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%systemroot%\temp\dotnet

SavePath

Setup=cmd /C start /wait netfx.msi /qb

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

but this will popup a command window.

My experiments have shown, that netfx.msi itself will not block, so there might be the same problem if I start it directly from svcpack.inf. But I will try it out.