Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

Mekrel

pls read it again... the msi is made by Totoymola not simon

And the answer to your question, is u hv to use InstallSheild 10.5 Express

or Installshield Pro to edit the msi.

simon's firefox contains plugins

# Silent and invisible by default! No switches needed!

# English language

# Removed certain searchplugins: Amazon, eBay...

# Added certain searchplugins: microsoft, imdb, google (images), filemirrors, babelfish translation (sp/en, en/sp).

# Added plugins: RealPlayer™, RealJukebox, QuickTime, Shockwave Flash, Microsoft Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat, Shockwave for Director, Java™ 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0, Microsoft® DRM and Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library.*

# Preferences Tweak

# MSFN Forum Thread Bookmark

# Firefox Icon

# Powered by RarLabs tongue.gif

if u want just the themes and extensions u want. Use the system

I found. just click on firefox link on my sig.

I didnt say he made the .msi

It says the msi came from his guide - which it does, but not that he made it.

I am trying your guide out now, but I have one question.

My OS is about 3 weeks old, so I have been using firefox with its application data profile for that time.

1. Go to start menu and click on Run. Type the following to start

Firefox using the default profile.

"C:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe" -profile defaults\profile"

So can I still do this and it will have to rewrite that profile? Or will I have to reinstall firefox and make sure I do this first?

Simon - Brilliant Guide mate, followed it easily  :) and works fine

However , im quite a simplton and dont really use many themes, only Phoenity and I only use about 9 extensions - of which about 7 of them come with the msi download in your guide.

How can I chage it so that I can take out the un needed themes and extensions?

Im on about my post, it doesnt say I said simon made it.

It thanks him for the guide, it says I downloaded the msi in his guide and that I ask how I can change it to take out the un-needed stuff,

No where in my post does it say he made the msi, because he wrote the guide I took a assumption he would know how to edit the msi.

@Mekrel sorry, you can't add/remove components from the .msi installation. this wasn't the purpose of @totoymola, he built the installation for himself.

about me, i don't have any knowledge on how to edit the .msi file, i only know how to use it and i'll be glad to help with switches :P

Thanks anyway - Suppose you cant get everything how you want because the msi editors mentioned to me you have to buy for alot of money :(

yes you can get test versions, but with limited functionality I do believe. So Ill stick with the msi and then just un-install the un-needed bits.

Thanks again.

Screw that msi. That is my first working build, so it really sucks. :P

@Mekrel

I can help you build your msi if you want. There are lots of different ways to do it. There are complex ways which include scripting, and there is an easy way (setting the default profile from the beginning). I actually made a guide for this a few months ago, but I just have no guts on posting it. I don't think it is the easiest way to do a silent installer, and I thought no one will need it.

@ Mekrel

Do a search for MakeMSI & MsiDiff, both freeware.

Other than Windows itself, I do not have a single piece of software on any of my machines, which is not freeware, and I've never had a problem yet with not being able to do something

Screw that msi.  That is my first working build, so it really sucks.  :P

@Mekrel

I can help you build your msi if you want.  There are lots of different ways to do it.  There are complex ways which include scripting, and there is an easy way (setting the default profile from the beginning).  I actually made a guide for this a few months ago, but I just have no guts on posting it.  I don't think it is the easiest way to do a silent installer, and I thought no one will need it.

Will you be able to do that?

If you just make the simple .msi for the defaut firefox with no added extras, or do I have to add my extras too?

From what I can tell - I can use the standard firefox and install my preferences/bookmarks/themes/extensions using the SFX setup explained by Astalavista?

Thanks again.

Thats the thing, unattended installs are ment to be for ease of doing a reformat/setup and also clearing out the junk and optimising your system by tweaking the registry.

So whats the point of me installing loads of extensions which I do not need and also themes which I would rather drink bleach than look at!

Ive tried reinstalling and looking for the msi in my temp files, but was a no go.

I know its not complicated, if you dont or cant help me then dont bother slandering me - totymola has offered to help and its not as if im asking for anything out of the ordinary or have been too lazy to do myself, because I have tried.

@Mekrel my installation is basically the default stored on mozilla plus a few plugins (their size is about 2mb extracted) and a few things removed (read feature list). if you don't find it suitable (i can't understand it) why don't you download the guide attached to first post and build one by yourself? if you can host it i'll sticky it like the others on this same thread.

tOOt

Done it :D , sorry simon but there is alot of info on your guide and I did not see the WinRar way of doing things.

I now have everything installed default with no plugins, and to do the plugins and etc I will do the profile.exe later on tonight :)