files from IE to be opened) on runtime alters script files on startup

so it can work properly. I was therefore able to use the routines that

he's written which are above my limited knowledge to write myself and

do the same for the chrome.rdf file and change "resource:/" to the

current path of the profile directory. This now overcomes all

problems. So you will also need to install the modified maf extension

from my site.

This part lost me.

I'm supposed to get a modified MAF extension from somewhere and do what with it?

Thanks, unattended Firefox has been driving me nuts for weeks. Hopefully this will do it.

hqdefel & VAD

The text i posted is for referrence.

1. if you are planning to use Simonsay's Firefox.exe and have no plans to install it to another drive or place. All you need to do is...

1. Go to start menu and click on Run. Type the following to start

Firefox using the default profile.

"C:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe" -profile defaults\profile"

2. Install any extensions and themes and customize how you want

everything to look like.

Then you can zip up this directory. User Winrar to Create a SFX

With this comment.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile
SavePath
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

If u plan to install firefox to another directory or another drive like D:\.

you will need to follow the rest of the instructions.

I only used the email as a referrence rather than a general guide. I didn't even use the SFX maker.

How do u test if your profilesfx.exe worked?

Answer:

1. Uninstall firefox,

2. Go to c:\documents_and_settings\<username>\application_data\mozilla\

3. Delete that folder

4. Reinstall simonsay's firefox.exe

5. Run your profilesfx.exe

6. Start firefox

7. A windows will appear if u want to import bookmarks

8. When firefox now opens it will have all the extensions, bookmarks, themes, and any settings.

dont forget to clear your cache, passwords, page visited, and etc. prior to use of this method.

If u plan to install firefox to another directory or another drive like D:\.

you will need to follow the rest of the instructions.

This is exactly the reason for my inquiry. I'm using Firefox at work with the installation directory on a drive which has a letter F assigned to it. I'd like to configure FF, sfx the install dir, and then install it on my home PC. I also may need to install it on my friends' PC, and that's where the uninstallation/reinstallation issue described in the third part of the reference e-mail may come into play.

If you cannot disclose the web site to public, it's fine. Just PM it to me :rolleyes:

pls note the method describe here is for use with a Unattended Installation of XP. It is not for updating Firefox. I just want to be clear on that.

VAD if that is wat u want to do, u will hv to create your very own MSI or EXE :P

hard work if u ask me.

I informed simon that it would be easier for everyone, if we did all the hard work and all u hv to do is throw in your preferrences, settings, themes, extensions, and what not.

Looks like u hv to do jdoe's method. GOOD LUCK!!! heheheh

the email is from a developer from mozilla, totoymola knows the link to the forum

that describes in some detail. but not as good as the email post here.

VAD if that is wat u want to do, u will hv to create your very own MSI or EXE :P

hard work if u ask me.

I informed simon that it would be easier for everyone, if we did all the hard work and all u hv to do is throw in your preferrences, settings, themes, extensions, and what not.

Looks like u hv to do jdoe's method. GOOD LUCK!!! heheheh

Not that I don't trust you guys. I know you've done a very good job. And after reading the guides attached to the first post I appreciate your work even more ;)

I am all for learning and building your own stuff. but sometimes for there is just not enough time to do so.

so baby thank Simonsay's for his silent EXE.

"Shake & BAKE" is my motto. so start shaking those extensions, themes, bookmarks, and settings. And bake them in a profile.exe :P

Using astalavista's method for unattended install of Firefox+profile now, works perfect and is very easy!

Do have one question.... if I also make a SFX of the Plugins folder, with Flash, Shockwave and Java JRE 5 installed, will these plugins work? Or do I still have to run their installers?

Because on the topicstart I also see some of these plugins are already in the pack... so this means you don't have to install them anymore?

what plugins do u want to install?

Simon has every pluging already included in his package.

thank you but it isn't my method i just found it at the mozilla forum and help

from some of the developers i contacted to help me make a simpler

install method.

partly bec. i could never get Crahak's method to work. kind da suck

why it doesn't work for me.

I also see some of these plugins are already in the pack... so this means you don't have to install them anymore?

correct. u dont I have tested this already.

Jdoe's method didnt work for me thats why I use this method (and this method is easier)... just called it your method cos that was easy.

I know Simon already has every plugin in his package but I just wanted to make my own package... with some Dutch searchplugins and Dutch language added to the encoding selection in the tools menu and some tweaks for faster browser, and only flash/shockwave and java, want to keep it as small as possible.

So now I have made my own and it's finished!

Jdoe's method didnt work for me thats why I use this method (and this method is easier)... just called it your method cos that was easy.

I know my method is not very reliable but it was made as a testing purpose. I talked about a new version in a previous post (FUN.EXE) and I stopped working on it. Just not enough time to complete this work and now I'm not a system administrator anymore so I don't need it anymore (I'm working on database now).

This way to make Firefox installation drive and user independent is not enough reliable to continue developement on it. I don't recommend using my method for customizing you Firefox installation.

If VB6 developpers are interested on source code of FUN (50% completed and based on my previous VBScript) just send me an e-mail but again, I don't think it worth it because it's not enough reliable. :(

P.S.: I will send source code to only one person.

I don't know if you've noticed, but when you type any word in the location bar of Firefox 1.0 by SymonSays (the first silent install option in this thread), Firefox doesn't have the "I'm Feeling Lucky" behavior, it just searches like the Google search box. (it changes any word, lets say, "test", with "keyword:test"

I really like the "I'm Feeling Lucky" behavior, but I also like SymonSays method. How can I bring back the "I'm Feeling Lucky" search for the location bar?????? I just need it bad! :blink:

Thanks to all of you.

Carlos

Thanks for the info. However, I found out a way to revert Firefox to the original "I'm Feeling Lucky" behavior. Maybe someone else is trying to find the info (I post this here since it has to do with SyMoNsAyS silent installation of Firefox).

Go to the Mozila Firefox Install Directory and afterwards to the defaults\pref directory (usually this is [Drive]:\Program Files\Mozila Firefox\defaults\pref). Then open the file firefox.js.

Around line 121 of firefox.js you'll find this:

pref("keyword.enabled", true);
pref("keyword.URL", "http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=");

Just change the first line to:

pref("keyword.enabled", false);

An you'll get the original behavior.

I love Symonsays installation, it has made my life a whole lot easier. But how can I modify Symonsays original location bar search behavior so it is installed like this by default?? [besides replacing firefox.js once Firefox is installed] Or...how can I change just that single line of firefox.js once it is installed??

Thanks a lot!

Carlos