Guide: Mozilla Firefox Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

@ZileXa

Why not create a silent SFX archive instead of:

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 5 /D "%CDROM%\SOFTWARE\FIREFOX\PROFILE.EXE /S" /f

this is exactly what i do, a silent rar sfx archive, but to ensure it works with no displays i add the /S switch as seen in "2.4.-Building the default profile self-extracting archive" and "2.5.-RunOnceEx and files directories" steps ;)
And perhaps also:

%DEFAULTUSERPROFILE%\Application Data\

in my guide i used the %APPDATA% string... why? because in my language that folder looks like %DEFAULTUSERPROFILE%\Datos de programa\ and in other localized versions will look different. we run it at runonce because that variable is stablished at this point and we ca use it to prevent those issues :P

@spachtler i thought about that too but... the autoit script is language dependant and not silent (you can see the file copy process and how you click the buttons), also you (generally) need to block the input in orther to prevent the user stop the process by mistake. not everyone knows how to compile and au3 script and not everyone want to did it. i found the replace installer/edit config.ini method quick and clean.

as you can see people, i tried to create a universal installation: language and path independant

edit: first post edited. now easier method :thumbup

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

@Nologic The method that was described in the topicstart (now it's in the ZIP) seems easier to me to create my customized Firefox install with the settings/extensions/themes I want..

I tried this (now in the zip) method last week... Firefox does install and works, but I get the default profile instead of my modified profile...

it seems the profile does get extracted to the right folder and also the .vbs file runs when an (new) windows useraccount logs in... but still getting the standard firefox profile!

what could go wrong?

I will perform the steps again... report later..

@ZileXa

The possible reason why you get the defualt profile is the patch in the chome.rdf is not modified.  I don't know what's inside the vbscript that you are using, or maybe it is not executed correctly (firewall issues).

i'll definetly go for this ;)

ok, maybe I need a little clarification...Ive looked at the config.ini for the 1st download of 6.06MB...I noticed that 1. you set normal to silent...fine, understand that...then you set

Default Setup Type=Setup Type 1

...then later in the config.ini section is this little tidbit of info

[Setup Type1]
Description Short=&Custom
Description Long=You may choose individual options to be installed. Recommended for experienced users.

; List of components to install/enable for this Setup Type.
; All other components not listed here will be disabled if
; this Setup Type is selected.
C0=Component XPCOM
C1=Component Browser
C2=Component ADT
C3=Component Uninstaller
C4=Component Langpack
C5=Component Help
; Make sure Component QFA is LAST so 3rd party developers who might not want
; this component can easily remove it.
C6=Component QFA

Now, you say you removed QFA, but as far as I can tell, it is still being installed...so what do you do to remove it if you dont remove it in config file? Also, could you explain how you removed DOMi...thats the only other thing I cant really find in the config file...so maybe you repacked one of the xpi files.

Thanks in Advance.

Now, you say you removed QFA, but as far as I can tell, it is still being installed...so what do you do to remove it if you dont remove it in config file?  Also, could you explain how you removed DOMi...thats the only other thing I cant really find in the config file...so maybe you repacked one of the xpi files.

Looks like you caught an error. But in all fairness, its still only getting installed 20% of the time :P .

Since he commented out the setup type 0 qfa component, I would use that one.

@evilvoice well, is silent by default because i thought that some people would like to just put the installer on the cd and run it but you can just remove the line "Silent=1".

about the QFA yes, it was disabled and found the mistake, i've removed QFA for setup type 0 and not for setup type 1, my mistake :whistle:

about DOM, yes i removed it but now in a deeper look... i don't see it removed in my localized version of firefox (i made 2 similar installers: 1 spanish for personal use and 1 english to share) so now i can't be sure (it was a quick built :P )

solution: for now you can edit the setup to remove both and i'll delete them from the features list :}

@Simonsays, your removed it link takes me to a "please log in to edit" page...is there a different link you meant to post?

you need to be logged to access the content, basically there explains how to "unlock" an extension like dom inspector so you can remove it from the xpi.

@sleepnmojo ok, i install together with firefox sun's java 5 and wmp10 that's why i included them but they're not there as "plugins" so removing...

for every1: you can extract and edit .xpi files so browse the dirs and add or remove components like qfa, dom or plugins