Adobe Reader 6.02 silent install

@RyanVM

You Rule!  :thumbup

Again, instructions for the slip-stream please?

Nevermind - it seems the final 6.0.2 full installer is available - http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/read...distrib_enu.exe (34.7 MB).

Thanks, we got nice ppl here. Links and instructions poppin' all over...

If you look at it from a lazy-a**-point-of-view.

Oh yeah, I am lazy.

;)

So, how does this need a switch or two when runnin' from RunOnceEx ?

Like, perhaps:

REG ADD %KEY%\023 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 6.02" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\024 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Ado\AdbeRdr602_distrib_enu.exe /QB" /f

I think there's more to be done about that command, just woke up here about 30min ago

and my brain refuse to think, sorry about that, im feeding coffee for it tho...

I guess I could read back few pages also....

@Lolly

No, you can't just like that run "/QB" on the installer you downloaded. I wish it was that simple. :( I was referring to the updated installer saving us some effort....

Anyways, what you need to do:

1. Get the files extracted from the FEAD installer.

2. Start the install in admin-install-point mode (with /A switch).

3. RAR/SFX the resulting folder, use "/QB" switch when installing.

How to do the above 3 steps? Please search - the above must've been discussed a zillion times by now....

Sheesh - I'm getting lazy, telling you people to do all the dirty work of searching and finding instead of telling it here myself - but its just that its tiring to repeat the same thing...

The full installer is a cheap hack job at best. All it is is the regular MSI file with an MST file included (and CAB file with the 6.0.2 files). Basically, it's about twice the size that it has to be since it has both 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 included in it. To create an admin point with 6.0.2 integrated into it, follow these directions.

1.) Download the full 6.0.2 redistributable (34.7MB)

2.) Extract it to a folder using WinRAR

3.) Rename the Adobe Reader 6.0.1.msi file to acrobatreader.msi

4.) Rename Rdr6020.mst to 602.mst

5.) Run the follow command from a command prompt:

msiexec /a acrobatreader.msi TARGETDIR="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\reader" TRANSFORMS=602.mst

You can obviously change the path you want the install point going to at your discretion.

I've confirmed that the above works for creating a working 6.0.2 install point, which compresses down to 15MB using 7-zip and 16MB using WinRAR. A quick note, the MSI installer will still say 6.0.1 setup when launching, but the files are 6.0.2 (and the Adobe Reader splash screen confirms it when it launches).

I'm working on playing with the MSI file right now to see if I can make the installer say the correct version along with doing some other stuff (like having it not create the PrintMe shortcuts).

Can't the "don't make PrintMe shortucts" setting be put into an MST? (just like you can do it for MS Office and such...) Not that I know how to do it - you leading here.

That way, changes are minimal, and sharing is just a matter of a few KB download.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that to be honest with you. But if I can make the changes to the MSI file prior to putting it on the web, what's the difference? :P

Regardless, anyone can make their own slipstreamed administrative install point now with the directions above.

what's the difference? :P

Having to either download a much bigger installer, from your hosting and therefore drain it, or download just a 50 KB MST file and use my already existing merged version. That's the difference. lol

Gotcha
I recall I posted something about PrintMe on my thread of WinINSTALL LE.
Yeah, that's the easy part :P. There is one oddity with the merged installer, though. For some reason, I can't edit the actual shortcut because WinINSTALL LE bitches about a missing icon or something.

For some reason, I can't edit the actual shortcut because WinINSTALL LE bitches about a missing icon or something.

I thought it's easier to delete or disable the whole feature of PrintMe. This should prevent everything related to it from installing, as you know. Who needs it all? :P

For some reason, I can't edit the actual shortcut because WinINSTALL LE bitches about a missing icon or something.

I thought it's easier to delete or disable the whole feature of PrintMe. This should prevent everything related to it from installing, as you know. Who needs it all? :P

I'm sorry, I wasn't nearly clear enough in my last post. I was referring to the Acrobat Reader shortcut, not PrintMe's. That was easy to kill :P