432 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

Windows firewall does the exact same thing. It asks you if you want to unblock a program that is trying to access the internet, or keep blocking it. Once you unblock a program that you use and trust it is added to the windows firewall exception list and is granted internet access.

So you're saying that it shows something like this? I've never seen any type of window like that from the default Windows firewall. As you can see, all the program does is ping Google, and to disprove maxamoto, is named Explorer.exe. Sygate picks up on it immediately.

If you can provide a screenshot of a new program trying to connect and Windows Firewall asking what to do, I'll take back (almost) everything I've said about it.

Apparently windows firewall doesn't fall for the naming something explorer.exe trick either.

firewall_12.gif

Ok... can you tell me how to configure the firewall like that? I've never seen any screen like that one before, so in my experience, the Windows Firewall was doing everything "under the hood" with no user interaction.

Once I get it working like that, I'll do some more rigorous testing to see how it works.

Go into your network connections and right click on your internet connection.

Right-click and select 'properties'.

Go to advanced tab.

Click on 'settings' for windows firewall.

Make sure firewall is 'on'.

Under 'exceptions' make sure 'display a notification' box is ticked.

Under 'advanced' make sure your internet connection is ticked.

To test you can delete the exception entry for one of your programs and then open it.

Windows firewall doesn't stop spyware programs. Using the anti-spyware search in Zone Alarm pro, it picked up NewDotNet spyware that is bundled in the browser. Note of caution: although Spysweeper is highly rated, it didn't pick this one up either.

I believe I got the spyware from Skinz.org. When installing the screensaver LivingAquarium2, it downloaded the spyware.

Edited by Redcloud

Mikrotik! (http://www.mikrotik.com/2index.html)

Extremely capable, competent and SECURE. You can build WLAN infrastructure that covers an entire nation with it if you like, or just stick to protecting your home network.

It has a *very* *nice* GUI, full-blown professional features, easy to setup / maintain, etc. And the throughput is amazing!

Only caveat: It is built on L*nux! :-( BUT! The installation i so simple, just boot from the CD (or buy it pre-installed on a Flash-ATA), follow the quick configuration and connect from your favourite Windows host via the GUI.

As for HW requirements it is almost ridiculous, a PIII/800Mhz/256MB with 2x100 Mbps/48 MB Flash-ATA will provide more horsepower than you will need, *ever*. High-availability failover is easy to setup, it has a DHCP / NTP server and all the bells and whistles that a serious network admin needs.

Also the price is right: Free for home use with somewhat limited capability, $45 for a commercial full-blown license.

Windows XPSP2's own firewall rocks - why bog down your system with anything alse when it exists?

I also suppose it should be true. Unfortunately it is not the whole story.

SP2 Firewall nor SP1 Firewall is preferable.

If you don't wish to spend money, how about some freebie like ZoneAlarm Free.

In one of the firewall test, SP2 Firewall nor SP1 Firewall score no mark at all.

Read this: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm

After reading this post, I start to realise the importance of grabbing a "real" firewall to replace that "crappy" firewalls.

"These results does NOT show the ranking of the overall firewall features, but only of a single component, the outbound application filtering."

So that isn't a complete test. I have heard that windows firewall doesn't filter outbound, hence the zero score in that catagory.

@dale5605 - I still haven't had a chance to use solely the Windows Firewall... but aren't you repeating what I said above? One of the big advantages of a third-party firewall with outbound filtering is that you help prevent the spread of infections in the event that you have a virus/worm.

@dale5605 - I still haven't had a chance to use solely the Windows Firewall... but aren't you repeating what I said above? One of the big advantages of a third-party firewall with outbound filtering is that you help prevent the spread of infections in the event that you have a virus/worm.

Didn't mean to repeat you, just wanted to illustrate that the test was not all-inclusive.