ATi Catalyst Drivers Slipstreamed!

pr0digal jenius

alrighty, after much fighting with windows and bending it to my will via .inf file hacking :) ...i have done it

i have a working install of the catalyst drivers (once i get permission i will update it with omega's tweaks/settings) :D

i also have a working install for the control panel that is yet to be tested as an unnattended isntall, but it works great as a basic setup file, meaning if all else fails, it can be added to start.cmd

i also got my RAID working too im having a good day :rolleyes:

so, for all of you who haven't been able to get the catalyst drivers working without using that russian package (ick)...this is for you. this is going on the Catalyst 4.7 and the accompanying Control panel:

DRIVERS:

first off, delete all the useless garbage...here's my folder

drivers1.jpg

here's my 2KXP_INF folder:

drivers2.jpg

anything is else garbage, as it deals with windows 2000, NT, etc

also..if you're really stingy you can edit out all the settings in 2KXP_INF\CX_16126.inf that don't deal with your card (9800 series = r350 settings, ect)..i would leave the default settings as a failsafe backup tho......doing this onyl saves a few dozen KBs, but it makes the drivers load a good bit quicker

then simply put everything from the 1st screen cap up there into $OEM$/$1/Drivers/xxx and declare it in oemPnPDrivers within winnt.sif

CONTROL PANEL:

here's my CP folder:

driver3.jpg

notice again the missing win2k files, and fireGL files(unless you have a fireGL card, which i doubt most of you do)

now for the part that is optional, but very helpful

in the to .reg files(it's in both, change it in both instances)

down towards the bottom makes sure your [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\CPTemplate\16126\Desktop\] section looks like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\CPTemplate\16126\Desktop\]
"DisableQuickRes"=hex:00,00,00,00
"HelpID"="0"
"OEMSystemIcon"="0"
"EnableIcon"="0"
"NoAtipta"="1"
"OEMPropertyPagesLogo"="0"
"DeActivateAllWarningMessage"=hex:00,00,00,00
"OEMMenuSideBitmap"="0"
"OEMOptionsBitmap"="0"
"HideSwitchAmongstDisplay"=hex:00,00,00,00
"RegistrationOnLine"="OFF"

this will eliminate the systray icon, and the 'registration' nag

Now for the part i haven't yet tested (i'll do ti 1st thign tomorrow and update this)

i THINK this can also go in $OEM$/$1/Drivers/xxx, which would give you both a CP and a Cat folder within $OEM$/$1/Drivers/xxx

BE SURE TO DECLARE BOTH IN oemPnPDrivers within winnt.sif!!!

if that doesn't work put them in your $OEM$/$1/Installs folder and either declare it in the appropriate .cmd files

hope this helps all you ati people...enjoy!!!!

UPDATE:

It appears all this can go from the i386 folder as well (this is Sp2 slipstream, so if you don't have it, that's probably why)

drivers4.jpg

do not attempt to replace the files in i386 with the ati ones...haha...that won't work (no hotkey poller, no OGL drivers, etc)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\CPTemplate\16126\Desktop\]

You do realize that this number will change with every subsequent build of the Catalyst drivers. :)

The Control Panel is not going to install from the OemPnPDrivers. You will run the Control Panel using the -R switch and then copy the setup.iss it creates from the \Windows directory to the CP directory.

I then used iexpress and packaged all the files in the CP directory and specify setup.exe as the file to run from the package. When you select setup.exe add the '-s' switch next to it. It should look like 'Setup.exe -s'. Go through all the prompts and create the package. At the end you will end up with a file, which I called ATI.exe

I just run ATI.exe from the install.inf after my first reboot and the Control Panel is installed.

You do realize that this number will change with every subsequent build of the Catalyst drivers.  :D

yes, but as i merely edited the .reg file, the .reg file will change with every subsequent release as well :)

the rest remains the same, all that will change is that tiny little number :rolleyes:

The 4.7 drivers I have actually have a slightly different file structure. I didn't modify my inf file at all because I want to keep it signed. It has inf files in its root and the driver files in the folder B_16143. This cannot be changed without invalidating the cat file.

On the otherhand, I do believe the CP installation can be done w/o the setup program. Simply copy the files from an installed copy of CP and use that as base. For new installs, just copy those files to the hd, add the reg files, and set the CP to start on windows bootup in the Run key.

Furthermore, if the IS setup is preferred, its size can be reduced further using the attached program/script. You can also use this program to extract the installation file with i6comp e -r -f data1.cab.

Compact.7z

i'll follow this thread and test the method with catalyst 4.9 alpha to see if it works.

why not use the 4.9 beta's? :)

and i know the file structure may look a little different...as I said...I use omega's drivers...but until he gives me permission to use his tweaks, I have just modified the normal catalyst driver's .INF files and used his file tree. Once he allows me to I will use his INF files.

I plan to test this some more in an hour or 2 so look for an update :rolleyes:

I really never saw what the big deal is with the catalyst drivers. I NEVER had a problem with them. I have two versions of them on my disc (normal and mobility) and still don't have a problem.

But on a lighter note, I do like your avatar. Gotta love Office Space

to install CP unattended (only installs if ATI-Card is present!)

add this to your RunOnceEx.cmd

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "ATI Control Panel 4.7" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\ATICP\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f

just make sure, the setup.iss looks like this:

[...]
[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SprintfBox-0]
Result=7
[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdFinishReboot-0]
Result=1
BootOption=0

(BootOption=0 is THE crucial point)

to install CP unattended (only installs if ATI-Card is present!)

add this to your RunOnceEx.cmd

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "ATI Control Panel 4.7" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\ATICP\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f

just make sure, the setup.iss looks like this:

[...]
[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SprintfBox-0]
Result=7
[{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}-SdFinishReboot-0]
Result=1
BootOption=0

(BootOption=0 is THE crucial point)

thanks...i was wonderign why it didn't work :)

anyways...if and when Omega gives me hsi blessing hsi driver's isntall the control panel along with the drivers all from one setup file..so that should be interesting to play with :rolleyes:

the problem with ati catalyst it's the driver installation without using a setup file. for example, i've got 2 PCs first one with an ati card, the other one with an intel based card and i can't use an automatic installation for my unattended cd :)