The count-down to SP2

prathapml

Which language (of Windows) do you use?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which language (of Windows) do you use?

• English
    • German/Japanese
    • Others

any one know why the final release is so much smaller? they say the max is 110MB, the last RC was 266MB... i dont get it.

http://www.winnetmag.com/windowspaulthurro...rott_43510.html

The size of the SP2 download will depend on how you obtain it. Automatic Updates and Windows Update downloads can be much smaller, depending on the number of patches you've already installed. Microsoft notes that the maximum download size is about 95MB for XP Home Edition and 110MB for XP Professional Edition.

can be much smaller

notice they say "can" this is because i believe they are refering 2 the express download.. sp1 is 125MB & sp2 ads way more stuff.. so it will be bigger :)

any one know why the final release is so much smaller? they say the max is 110MB, the last RC was 266MB... i dont get it.
Expected size of SP2 still is ~260MB.

95-110 MB download size is the stats for XP home/pro, only for automatic updates. The full (network/admin) install will need to be able to apply itself to a retail XP CD. Moreover, the same SP2 package will be used to update MCE/TabletPC too. So it will have to contain files which aren't for your machine alone. Don't expect the SP2 (full/network install) to be smaller than RC2 by much.

well, i guess we should be happy they are fixing SP2 more.... I mean this is microsoft :)

heres some sample code from SP2 that they are fixing... :rolleyes:

Open Port 1-65535
Exploit Open Ports
Send CreditCard Number
Withdraw Money
Format c:\
Install Windows 3.1

Well it's 10:21 am in Melbourne, Australia and I've just crawled myself out bed hoping to find some SP2 goodies waiting for me at the Microsoft homepage. But alas it seems thats not the case.

By the way, did we brake MSFN last night?