The count-down to SP2

prathapml

Which language (of Windows) do you use?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which language (of Windows) do you use?

• English
    • German/Japanese
    • Others

Another question: I heard that when installing SP on a WinXP-Sp1 with all hotfixes up-to-date, all the pre-SP2 hotfixes will be removed prior to the SP2 installation.

Is this true ???

Hotfixes don't show up in the Add/Remove Programs list anymore in SP2.

Another question: I heard that when installing SP on a WinXP-Sp1 with all hotfixes up-to-date, all the pre-SP2 hotfixes will be removed prior to the SP2 installation.

Is this true ???

well, the right way to say that would be that SP2 replaces superseded files. So, you see, you're not exactly "uninstalling" old hot-fixes. The new SP will upgrade all your older version files to new! :)

MSFN will mirror the SP on their servers ?????????

We're more likely to setup a .torrent for XP SP2 Network install if MS's download servers get hammered. Believe me, BT is very efficient for distributing files!

i have give a try v5 but an error occurs. so i want go back to v4. it brings me back automatically to v5. how to fix this?

I believe there's a thread that discusses the removal of V5 and use back V4. I'm not sure if V4 is still in operation though. Try searching the forums first :)

i have give a try v5 but an error occurs. so i want go back to v4. it brings me back automatically to v5. how to fix this?

As what MS said, you were advised to make a backup image, or a "roll-back"able System Restore point.

Once you've tried WU v5 (to a deeper extent than just visiting, for example, if you actually applied any updates from v5), you have no other way to get to how things were previously, except to restore from one of the above.