Registry Tweaks, Part-1

Hi,

Newbie here. Have been stuck to this thread for a few weeks now :)

Following the advice here, I tried to create a ShellNew Windows NT Command script, but for some reason it doesn't work. Any ideas what I could have gone and done wrong?

Situation: I had created the nullfile value and the beautiful words popped up when i right clicked new menu. Then later on I read down the page, and decided to try the data values. So, my itchy hands added in the data value, and behold, the thing's gone.

Here is my ShellNew code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd]
@="cmdfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""
"Data"=hex:40,45,43,48,4f,20,4f,46,46,0d,0a

Note: I also messed around with opening cmd files by notepad by default. Could this have messed it up?

This's the code for that.

;Open Windows NT Command Script (.cmd) with Notepad by default - do not run

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell]
@="Edit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\Execute]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\Execute\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\open]

Sorry for the long post!

Ok, i did a lot of searching for a way to find adapter ID's and there really isnt a clear way to do it, at least not with the current reg.exe If you can find a xp-compatible program that will search a little better than "reg query" then I can actually create a little batch file that can find the adapter ID...I may take a look again today as I have had some time off and will go at it with a clear head.

lpl??? I would remove the persistent handler part

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd\PersistentHandler]@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

also if youre trying to get it to say "Windows NT Command Prompt" you changed its name to cmdfile with the first part of the code.

did your notepad script work before?

Thanks for your help. :)

I wasn't trying to get it to say Windows NT Command prompt. When I first added in the nullfile value into the .cmd key, I right clicked to the new menu and the Windows NT command prompt (or script or whatever) appeared, which was great. but later on I added in the data value, and now it's disappeared forever.

the codes for opening .cmd files with notepad by default was hopefully, incidental to this, I was just wondering if the two could have affected each other, as that was the only other thing i did before i added in the data value to .cmd key...

hope you get what i mean. :rolleyes:

Couldn't someone assemble all the tweaks from this thread and make some interface for it to apply them after installing windows?

Also make it so that you can chose what tweaks you want and save them to a reg/txt file..

I would really like souch a small program..:)

Just a thought..

That's a goot idea but it takes some skills. I'm thinking of a sort of website where updating is easy and everybody has access to the latest tweaks.

I'll definitely think about how it could be made ...

ok.

i've got the framework for an application built; i have all my tweaks in a database and a way to output them properly using a php script.

however, a few are specific to my needs, and need to be called out that way. i also went through and looked at MSDN for every single one i could find in a specific group to find the real nice "description" of what it does and such.

i want to get the app online though so i can get the general public to voice off whether or not some tweaks are good, adding in others, helping classify misclassified ones, etc.

i did a pretty good job, there should be no dupes (or maybe only a couple left) and tried my best to confirm all the data before committing it.

question: if i have numeric data like a 1 in REG_SZ, and the field really "wants" a DWORD of 1, is that the same thing? or is datatype truly important. obviously you can't put text in a DWORD, but sometimes numbers (even boolean type stuff) is in a REG_SZ field. just wondering.

here's the output of my first run today. i will add on better classifications and groupings and hopefully the ability to solicit feedback about specific ones to either modify their value, change description, or remove unneeded/bad ones.

i will also add classifications like "memory" "filesystem" "third party" etc. - and then also a classification for generic setting or personal setting.

hopefully then, i can have a script where you can pick and choose the components you want and generate a .reg file off of that. for example, if you don't want some of your special folders on D:\ like i have mine setup in the file below, you'd be able to skip that.

http://mikehost.com/~mike/tmp/tweaks.txt

please note, i applied this to a vanilla XP box and now i get an error on logon:

"cannot load the user's profile" ..

"not enough storage is available to process this command"

so, one of these is messed up. possibly one of the memory ones, i think i aimed it more towards my athlon 64 machine - and i tried these tweaks on my p4 2.4 machine.

any feedback is appreciated - just email me mike@mike2k.com, and i'll have more information up soon on the registry engine.

i really believe it has to do with that persistent handle, cuz I dont use that in my reg tweaks, and it works fine for me.

He could try removing it to see if that helps. It's not really needed. It's for the plain text filter when searching for text from within a file. Any filetypes that you want included in the search need this handler.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;EN-US;309173

If you do a google search for "{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}" you'll find a lot of info on it.

thanks for the help...

i had tried this on clean install in virtual pc (unattended reg tweaks applied via cmdlines and later on again at runonceex), and it didn't work. i deleted the persistent handler part, and even just deleting the "data" value leaving only the nullfile value didn't work either. *shrug* next im going to try just adding in a nullfile value on the next install...

Dear All

I am not sure if this will get the desired attention as I am new to this forum and do not know much about posting. Please advise If I have to follow a process to make this reach to a bigger audience.

My Problem:

Have been struggling to apply a couple of reg tweaks to the default user profile through cmdlines.txt, would appreciate any help or pointer to understand about the problem or if possible a solution.

Have been trying to configure default user profile to have Use Windows Classic folder option selected instead of the default Show common tasks in folders. Also want to set the default explorer view to Details.

Can successfully apply the reg merge when the user is logged on but having the same reg merge applied for default user in cmdlines.txt is not delivering the expected result. The merge does get applied successfully to the default user profile( checked and confirmed by loading the hive) but for some reason on creation of new user these two reg tweaks are ignored or overwritten by windows while creating a profile for a new user.

Is their any other source besides Default User profile which contributes to the creation of a new user profile at first logon. Will appreciate any pointers either for the solution or learning more about how actually the new profile is created as it is obvious that the created user profile has much more than what the default user profile holds, so where is this additional data coming from?

Many thanks in advance.

Raja

Ok, i did a lot of searching for a way to find adapter ID's and there really isnt a clear way to do it, at least not with the current reg.exe  If you can find a xp-compatible program that will search a little better than "reg query" then I can actually create a little batch file that can find the adapter ID...I may take a look again today as I have had some time off and will go at it with a clear head.

Did you manage to get some more information about this? I'm in over my head with this at the moment that I can't see any possible solution right now.

raja i'm having the same issues.

what keys are you using for details view? i've tried a variety - even applying the registry settings during cmdlines.txt -and- at guirunonce, just to try it, to both HKEY_CURRENT_USER -and- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT

before, and after i create the account i actually use. just to help push it in even harder. yet it still defaults to icons AND won't save it when i try to apply detail view using the conventional steps! it's driving me NUTS.

perhaps i can take your setting and try it on my own so i can try applying it at all the points i apply it, and see if it takes for me.

this is p***ing me off a lot - wish microsoft would have made a simple DWORD of showiconview or something. this is one of the main unresolved issues i have with my unattended CD...

Try applying the registry edits on second boot. That's what I've had to do with some SP2 tweaks. They won't stick unless I apply then on second boot.

you mean the reboot AFTER guirunonce runs?

i did apply the reg file again, during the guirunonce first boot - and it appeared to have fixed a couple things (dropshadows on menus and cleartype stuff, which have simple registry keys but didn't seem to work properly applying them twice during cmdlines.txt -and- guirunonce ...)

it didn't fix this though. this stupid detail view will drive me bonkers.

I struggled with Detals view too.

Use this in your cmdlines.txt which runs at T-12.

Detail view will be enabled for all users. :)

Look here for more help with importing settings for all users.

Thanks to everyone.

;Detail mode in all folder

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]

"Settings"=hex:09,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,77,7e,13,73,35,cf,11,ae,\

69,08,00,2b,2e,12,62,04,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,43,00,00,00