Registry Tweaks, Part-1

If you customize it for something other than music files, it should go away. Right click on the folder, select properties and go to the customize tab.

Hmm - allright. I think I'll just let it be instead of havng to change that setting of a bunch of folders. But thanx for looking in to it :).

Thanx evilvoice - I then take it that making it 'my way' :), could end up with an error?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg\ShellNew]
"Data"="Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

Edit: And btw - if I want to put some more code into my new-file-html-document - how do I then do that? Is there some software that can convert text to binary key - how did you do it?

No, your way wasnt wrong, just I did some searching...searched if Data1 was a valid key, but it wasnt, and then I found that the key was sposed to be reg_binary (also, this way you can actually have multiple lines in a new file...as long as you have time to type it up)

heh...created a bat file with

@ECHO OFF
test

in it, and figured out that "0d 0a" specifies a new line...so if you create a reg_binary value, double-click on it, your cursor should be in the middle (after four 0's and like a space) this is where hex values go, if you move to the far right and click, your cursor will move to where you can type actual text (when you type, the middle will fill in with numbers corresponding to the hex value of each letter). So what I did was enter "@ECHO OFF" then moved to the center, enter 0d 0a when I was ready for a new line...its a back and forth process...the html stuff was pretty intensive...then when youre done, export the whole key, and just copy the value of data to your reg file for unattended installs and then post your findings here, so the rest of us can benefit. I hope this makes sense, but if not ask, and I can show some pics (I think)

If you customize it for something other than music files, it should go away. Right click on the folder, select properties and go to the customize tab.

I tried doing it anyway :) - when clicking OK it said it needed Folder Tasks to be on. I just said OK to that. What is Folder Tasks - isn't it just to see the folders in the left side of Windows Explorer ?

Edit: Nevermind about this one - found out through Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> General :rolleyes:

... and figured out that "0d 0a" specifies a new line...so if you create a reg_binary value, double-click on it, your cursor should be in the middle (after four 0's and like a space) this is where hex values go, if you move to the far right and click, your cursor will move to where you can type actual text (when you type, the middle will fill in with numbers corresponding to the hex value of each letter).  So what I did was enter "@ECHO OFF" then moved to the center, enter 0d 0a when I was ready for a new line...its a back and forth process...the html stuff was pretty intensive...then when youre done, export the whole key, and just copy the value of data to your reg file for unattended installs and then post your findings here, so the rest of us can benefit.  I hope this makes sense, but if not ask, and I can show some pics ...

Thanx - it works as I want it to :)

This is the key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\ShellNew]
"Nullfile"=""
"Data"=hex:3c,21,44,4f,43,54,59,50,45,20,48,54,4d,4c,20,50,55,42,4c,49,43,20,\
 22,2d,2f,2f,57,33,43,2f,2f,44,54,44,20,48,54,4d,4c,20,34,2e,30,20,54,72,61,\
 6e,73,69,74,69,6f,6e,61,6c,2f,2f,45,4e,22,3e,0d,0a,3c,48,54,4d,4c,3e,0d,0a,\
 3c,48,45,41,44,3e,0d,0a,3c,54,49,54,4c,45,3e,20,4e,65,77,20,44,6f,63,75,6d,\
 65,6e,74,20,3c,2f,54,49,54,4c,45,3e,0d,0a,3c,4d,45,54,41,20,4e,41,4d,45,3d,\
 22,4b,65,79,77,6f,72,64,73,22,20,43,4f,4e,54,45,4e,54,3d,22,22,3e,0d,0a,3c,\
 4d,45,54,41,20,4e,41,4d,45,3d,22,44,65,73,63,72,69,70,74,69,6f,6e,22,20,43,\
 4f,4e,54,45,4e,54,3d,22,22,3e,0d,0a,3c,2f,48,45,41,44,3e,0d,0a,0d,0a,3c,42,\
 4f,44,59,3e,0d,0a,0d,0a,3c,2f,42,4f,44,59,3e,0d,0a,3c,2f,48,54,4d,4c,3e

And this is how it looks when opening the new HTML file:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> New Document </TITLE>
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="">
</HEAD>

<BODY>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Btw - this thread is extremely long. How do you find anything in it? When I came here the first time I tried searching for some stuff and was told results were in this thread - but is there an easy way to find it if you don't know the exact page? It's a little too much to browse through 72 pages :) - don't you think ?

rhino - change your settings, its only 24 on my side...24 is still a lot, but when searching, do a search for the one word in a reg tweak that you think would find the least reasults...and also click display as posts and from any date...that way, when you click on a link from the search, it takes you to the post and not to the beginning, or the page of the post.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{**ADAPTER ID HERE**}
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000000

..thanx man! two more questions:

* afaik the expression has to be in [brackets], right or wrong?!

* how do i get the *ADAPTER*ID* ???

I found the reg key to add the network icon in the system tray:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\{A32CC6AF-AC13-4084-B7AE-7C073B98B0CC}\Connection]
"ShowIcon"=dword:00000001

The problem that I have is this piece of the key A32CC6AF-AC13-4084-B7AE-7C073B98B0CC}. This seems to be different on every computer I tested. Is this generated at random or would it be likely that this would be the same for a brand or something like that?

rhino - change your settings, its only 24 on my side...24 is still a lot, but when searching, do a search for the one word in a reg tweak that you think would find the least reasults...and also click display as posts and from any date...that way, when you click on a link from the search, it takes you to the post and not to the beginning, or the page of the post.

Thank you :)

that is prolly your adapter ID

..sure, sure, but how do i get the adapter ID ?!?! since it's an unattended installation performed on different systems (different hardware) i suppose i cannot generalize this.. or am i wrong?!?

..another question: i use a lot of the regtweaks from this forum on a NON-english XP CD and most of them do not work; is this possible or have i done a mistake of some kind?!

thx in advance

that is prolly your adapter ID

..sure, sure, but how do i get the adapter ID ?!?! since it's an unattended installation performed on different systems (different hardware) i suppose i cannot generalize this.. or am i wrong?!?

..another question: i use a lot of the regtweaks from this forum on a NON-english XP CD and most of them do not work; is this possible or have i done a mistake of some kind?!

thx in advance

Exactly, how do you generate a reg key that can be aplied on different system configs?

monstersnatch -> Try to look up the reg key's in an existing registry in the same language. Compare them with the english reg tweaks and look if they exist.