Registry Tweaks, Part-1

Guest zippy
..hate quoting myself, but still: does anyone know a reg_tweak for disabling the DNS Registration in the TCP/IP menue?!?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{**ADAPTER ID HERE**}
"RegistrationEnabled"=dword:00000000

Tweak request, for Registry Experts Only. :rolleyes:

In Taskbar and Start Menu Properties (right-click on the Taskbar and select properties, don'tcha know), with "Hide inactive icons" selected, is there any way to ensure that ALL icons--present, past, and future--are in "Always hide" mode? I've been playing with RegSnap and am curious to see what anyone else might have. What do I have? A confused mess so far. :)

Hey - I got an issue removing:

Play with Media Player

- when right clicking a folder containing mp3-files. I've used the following tweak to remove some of the Media Player options:

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F1B9284F-E9DC-4e68-9D7E-42362A59F0FD}]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8DD448E6-C188-4aed-AF92-44956194EB1F}]

How do I get rid of the last one? I've tried searching using different variations of the sentence but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanx a lot :)

Up until now, when I wanted to create a new .CMD file or .REG file, I've created a new text file and then rename it to *.cmd or *.reg. However, you get that annoying prompt which informs you that if you change the file name extension, the file may become unusable.

Failing to find a way to disable that prompt, I've opted for a work-around. These entries will add Windows NT Command Script and Registration Entries to the New context menu.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd]
@="cmdfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

Not earth shattering but I decided to offer it anyway.

Thanx - if I want to make the REG file have something in the first line as default - the key would be like this right?

"NullFile"="{Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00}"

That's a good idea but It doesn't work for me. I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I definitely want to research it.

//

Okay. This is what you have to do. Create a New Registry file. At the top, put:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Name it and place the file in %systemroot%\Shellnew\

Delete the Nullfile value.

Ad this:

"FileName"="filename.reg"

It will use the file you placed in ShellNew as a template.

Even better, IMHO, is this:

Instead of using the FileName value, you can use the Command Value. Example:

"Command"="\"%programfiles%\\Crimson Editor\\cedt.exe\" \"%systemroot%\\shellnew\\Registry.reg\""

Now when I select New > Registry Entries, Crimson Editor, my editor of choice, is launched with the Reg template loaded. You can use any editor you like and the template can be stored anywhere that is convenient.

Make sure you delete any other values like nullfile or filename when adding this new value.

For more info, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ing/context.asp

Cool that it loads the file as well. I guess this can be done with other files as well - fx. txt-files ... ?

Edit: Actually not really important since the txt file doesn't need anything as default.

I found another solution ... but of course this way it doesn't open the file after creation.

"Data"="Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

This makes a new .reg file with the proper text in the first line of the file.

About my issue with:

Play with Media Player

- in the rightclick menu it seems to only appear on folders that contain a .m3u playlist file. How do I remove the rightclick item?

Not sure about that. Is there anything in the [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m3u\] key that might be causing this? I bet you already checked there...

Also, you might try going to Folder Options> File types and see if Play with Media Player entry is present for .m3u.

I was wrong - doesn't only appear on folders with .m3u & .mp3 files - also some with only .mp3's. Actually seems a bit random ... maybe I should reboot :).

I'll return with an update after the reboot.

I don't really know where the context handler for that would be. I don't have Media Player as the default player for any file type but I still get that option as well. If the folder is customized for Music file types, then you will get that option. If you customize it for something other than music files, it should go away. Right click on the folder, select properties and go to the customize tab.

I found another solution ... but of course this way it doesn't open the file after creation.

"Data"="Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

This makes a new .reg file with the proper text in the first line of the file.

Building on this, the data value is actually supposed to be binary key...so I found out everything for it...this is now what I have in my reg tweaks...tested on a working machine (just now)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat\ShellNew]
"Nullfile"=""
"Data"=hex:40,45,43,48,4f,20,4f,46,46,0d,0a
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cmd\ShellNew]
"Nullfile"=""
"Data"=hex:40,45,43,48,4f,20,4f,46,46,0d,0a
"Nullfile"=""
"Data"=hex:57,69,6e,64,6f,77,73,20,52,65,67,69,73,74,72,79,20,45,64,69,74,6f,\
 72,20,56,65,72,73,69,6f,6e,20,35,2e,30,30,0d,0a,0d,0a
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vbs\ShellNew]
"Nullfile"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\ShellNew]
"Nullfile"=""
"Data"=hex:3c,68,74,6d,6c,3e,0d,0a,3c,68,65,61,64,3e,0d,0a,3c,74,69,74,6c,65,\
 3e,3c,2f,74,69,74,6c,65,3e,0d,0a,3c,2f,68,65,61,64,3e,0d,0a,3c,62,6f,64,79,\
 3e,0d,0a,3c,2f,62,6f,64,79,3e,0d,0a,3c,2f,68,74,6d,6c,3e

this does a couple of things

for batch and cmd files, it puts @ECHO OFF and the equivalent of hitting enter, so you start on the second line with writing your batch file

for reg files, it puts Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 and 2 blank lines after that (since most people dont scrunch the reg files all together in one continuous stream)

for html files, it puts

<html>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

this is just building on others ideas, so none of this is actually mine, other than figuring out the binaries and putting what I feel should go in a file at the beginning, the reason for the html data is because I write in notepad, and even though I know how to write a webpage in notepad, it just makes it a little easier not having to write those things.