Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

hi Benjamin

would it be possible to integrate something like a tree-structure.

it´s meant like that:

for example :

if i want to install Mozilla Thunderbird and i click it, there should be a sub-tree where i can choose between different profiles that can be installed.

Sensational app. I'm definately using this one!!

Just one Question/Idea..

Currently in the software components selection diagbox you have two headings. first one is "Installable components" and the other is "Outdated or already installed". Is there any way to add new headings to separate different types of applications ie.

headings such as "Applications", "Registry Tweaks", "Patches" etc...

If this is possible, then this is the answer to all my software installation prayers!

Sensational app. I'm definately using this one!!

Just one Question/Idea..

Currently in the software components selection diagbox you have two headings. first one is "Installable components" and the other is "Outdated or already installed". Is there any way to add new headings to separate different types of applications ie.

headings such as "Applications", "Registry Tweaks", "Patches" etc...

If this is possible, then this is the answer to all my software installation prayers!

I point ye to : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=148467

which is in a previous page in this thread. Not yet implemented.

I have same kind of problem as PoloDude.

When i run the installation of Acrobat Reader 6 with his own ini file (as posted in my previous post), all works fine.

When i try to install more than one application with a complete install.ini and put them before the Adobe Reader 6 install, some parts of my Adobe Reader 6 install commands fails. i think the search path is not reset to restart from the first in your list mentionned for each command.x process.

if command.x is a relative command, wihu tries to find the path in following way (CreateProcess):

The directory from which the application loaded.

The current directory for the parent process.

The 32-bit Windows system directory. Use the GetSystemDirectory function to get the path of this directory.

The 16-bit Windows system directory. There is no function that obtains the path of this directory, but it is searched. The name of this directory is System.

The Windows directory. Use the GetWindowsDirectory function to get the path of this directory.

The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.

i think the search path is not reset to restart from the first in your list mentionned for each command.x process

This is defaulkt behaviour of Windows CreateProcess API. It will work. But be aware that you can't add batchfiles. These have to be called through cmd.exe like

command.0="%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /S /C %systemdrive%\my.cmd"

Otherwise show me the log file so that I can analyze the problem.

benjamin

As many people asked me to make window resizeable, I'll take into account to do a application rewrite. Currently Im using "Wizard 97 Style" which is ususally used by setup installers. But this can't be resized. So the only thing I can do is not to use wizard 97 style. So everyone please make suggestions here how application user interface should look like in future. You could use "Ms Visio" and make screenshots and send it to my mail address or post your suggestions here.

Thx

Benjamin Kalytta

administrator account name can be changed now with /admin=<name>.
Is this a complete replacement for that renuser.exe, etc. stuff? :rolleyes: No other actions to be taken?
@my2001:

Yes this is a complete replacement for renuser if you only want change Administrator account name for example. But note: Changing administrator name doesn't really improve security. What you have to do is, creating a new user account with administrator rights, and disable or delete administrator account.

Correct me if a am wrong, but using the /admin=<name> commandline parameter it is not possible to create a new account and rename the default Administrator account into that. Maybe that could be realised by adding a checkbox "rename default Administrator account" next to the "Administrator rights" one.
@syntax13

1. No currently a new account will be created and existing administrator account will be renamed if /admin=<name> specified.

Well, I'm confused now. :)

Let's assume the /admin command line option is being used. Does WIHU ...

A) just rename the already existing administrator account into the given name, i.e. not create a new account (and therefore no rise in system security) XOR

B ) create a new account with admin priviledges, name this new account according to the provided command line option and leave the already existing admin account untouched XOR

C) create a new account with admin priviledges, name this new account according to the provided command line option and disable the already existing admin account XOR

D) create a new account with admin priviledges, name this new account according to the provided command line option and delete the already existing admin account XOR

E) ???

So everyone please make suggestions here how application user interface should look like in future.

Well, at least for me it looks very good the way it is now. :D I don't really need to resize the window. But I guess the majority is eager to get more features asap. :D

And shhht: And if you consider implementing such a resize feature, include some new command line or INI-options like window position, window size and so on from the beginning. Because I'm pretty sure this is going to be called for soon if not implemented now. :)

And for the future: there might be users who want to develop skins for your tool. :rolleyes:

Alright, I think I'm just being retarded (long night last night = no sleep :)) but I'm curious if I could see some examples on how to install Mozilla Thunderbird (preferably through the installer and not copying the files) and how people called WIHU (like in cmdlines.txt or what not)? Sorry if it seems retarded. heh...