Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

@midiboy:

Not it should change the shell folder of the new created user, but I haven't testet it yet. There must be a bug inside. I'll test it now. It will ONLY change the shellfolder of the current user, if you installs With checkbox "Use current user" (which shouldn't be enabled by default or if you'll create a user account which already exists (in this case currently logged on user will be used too).

I'll fix the bug soon.

Benjamin

@midiboy....

trying calling the Computer Management MMC applet.

CODE

%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s

Thanks Alanoll,

I tried this:

[Datenträgerverwaltung]

command.0="%systemroot%\system32\diskmgmt.msc"

description=Öffnet die Datenträgerverwaltung

default=0

for Wihu 1.6.1.2

but it did not work, any idea why ? Wihu gives me the following error message:

Status: 0, Fehler 193, Installation von "Öffnet die Datenträgerverwaltung" konnte nicht gestartet werden: Fehler %d, Installation von "%s" konnte nicht gestartet werden: C:\WINDOWS\system32\diskmgmt.msc

Sorry, it is German, but it somewhat says ...Error 193 Installation of "%s" could not be started.

I also tried the command without the "" and with the /s switch but it never worked.

Calling this from Start ... Run ... or from a cmd works fine. :)

Bye,

Alex

@midiboy:

Frag doch gleich mich oder schau selber was sich hinter der Erweiterung für ein Command verbirgt: %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe your.msc

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msc -> MSCFile

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command

Btw. midiboy bug is fixed now, thx again for testing it.

Benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

ok, thank you very much for fixing the bug that fast and for helping with the MMC.

:)

I tried the new version now and it seems to work as expected now. I also found the reason why the older 2.0 beta didn´t: I had emptied the user.ini.

May I keep on suggesting a few minor features or did I ask too much already ? :D

From a user´s perspective, I think you could change the "shell folder changing dialog" to be more userfriendly.

1. The most important setting "Personal" should be on top by default and should be called "Eigene Dateien" in German, not Personals :D

2. When changing this one folder in Windows XP by rightclicking on the "Eigene Dateien" folder on the desktop, Windows will also change the shell folders for Pictures, Music and Video to be a subfolder in the Personals folder. It would be wonderful if you could achieve the same!

3. I don´t know about the others here, but at least I made the experience that users mostly change the following folders:

Personals

My Pictures

My Music

My Video

Favorites

Desktop

So maybe you could make this into a two step process: One drop down menu for those folders and then an "advanced" drop down menu for the other folders. This would make it easier to find the folders I need if the ones changed most of the time are seperate from the others.

4. Last but not least I once again ask for a multiple user creation feature without the need for a predefined user.ini

5. In case you still read this :rolleyes: ... wouldn´t it be nice if your tool would also be available via the Control Panel as a cpl ??

Thanks for listening !

Alex

The most important setting "Personal" should be on top by default and should be called "Eigene Dateien" in German, not Personals
Shortly after my posting I added this by my self :)

Please downlod it again;)

Last but not least I once again ask for a multiple user creation feature without the need for a predefined user.ini

Yes, but first I have to create XML loader and modify wihu so that it uses Tree View control. MSXML API isn't that easy, believe me :rolleyes:

CPL ... yes may be in future.

EDIT:

2. When changing this one folder ...
Of course will be added.

benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

just downloaded the program again but now this "bug" seems to be back again where the default path for "Eigene Dateien" is the current path of the logged in user, not the future one of the just created user ....

Other than that, thanks for your great work and for listening ! :)

Alex

Hi Benjamin,

mhh, strange ... so I downloaded Wihu again just right now but the "bug" is still there ... I attached a screenshot.

First pic shows that I add a user named Bernd. Also I am logged in as Alexander. Then I proceed to step 2. I choose "Eigene Dateien" and the path that Wihu suggests is D:\Alexander ....

this cannot be right ? :)

Bye,

Alex

Edit: I made sure that Bernd is no existing user !

@midiboy: very strange. Please take a look in install.ini ... may be you set it there?

Otherwise, please send me your current environment strings. Run "cmd.exe /k set" grab it and send it to me.

Please also logon as "Bernd" and open following key in registry editor:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

and please also send it to me.

benjamin

Hey Benjamin,

ok, I got it working now. Your tip with Environment variables was a good one. I had a systemwide variable in there named "PERSONAL" and it was set to D:\%USERNAME%.

I deleted it and now it works. However, a small minor detail ... contrary to the Windows process of changing the "Personal" shell folder, inside folders (Music, Pictures, Video) are not getting created automatically if they do not exist yet.

Maybe if you have some time left ... :rolleyes:

I have another question now ... I have instructed Office 2003 setup to automatically install the default .pst file into %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Outlook via an mst file.

Could you think of any way to change those variables automatically depending on the setting of the Personals Shell folder ? I think thats why I created this PERSONALS variable in the first place. :)

Bye,

Alex

What is a PST file and what is a MST file and what they are used for?

A pst file is the major data file of Outlook. All mails, contacts and other data are stored there.

THe mst file is a preconfigured silent installation file the Office Ressource Kit Silent Installation Wizard creates. It sort of tells Office what to install and in what way.

More information is here

Bye,

Alex

PS: I tried your latest beta on a fresh installation on VMWare just now and it works as expected. Windows even automatically created folders inside the Personals folder but not all of them ( just Music and Pictures ) ....

Your utility is really getting perfect by now. :) In case you have some time left, maybe you might consider adding the features I suggested earlier !

Thanks !

Alex

Hey again,

I am just never satisfied I guess .... :D

I just came up with a new "idea" ... I hope you don´t mind ...

Since you already have that user.ini file ... would it be a lot of work to also add a few lines to preconfigure all of the shell folders for each preconfigured user ??

Mhh .... that would be a nice thing actually, right ? :)

Sorry, I know I am pain in the a** ! :rolleyes:

Sleep well !

Alex

New beta 5 is out.

I decided to add multiple user creation capability first because it is not so time consuming. It's late now (4:00 am) so I'll go to bed. May be tommorow (today) I'll modify user creation interface a bit i.e. remove user creation in first dialog and combine this one.

WIHU also creates a folder for the new user if this doesn't exists yet. But note, at the moment the folder is created in current user context i.e. directory security doesn't include new user. Will be fixed tomorrow ... may be.

Benjamin