• Shareaza
    • BitComet
    • Bittorrent
    • eMule
    • SoulSeek
    • Limewire
    • µTorrent

• 1 month later...

ooooo, peer to peer has never really been my game, but for those willing to splash out a few quid you need a news server subscription and the following link [url="http://www.newzbin.com"]www.newzbin.com[/url] :P

Please make a new poll, this one with the different P2P networks instead of programs:
Edonkey2000
Overnet
Kademlia
Gnutella
Gnutella2
Ares
OpenFT
Fasttrack(Kazaa)
or Torrents

if you don't want a new poll, uTorrent and KCeasy should be added to the old poll.

For music etc.
I use Kceasy, because it is a fast and light program and uses the network that Limewire uses, plus Ares, plus OpenFT and as a small bonus Fasttrack.
As extra I have Shareaza because it uses Edonkey and Gnutella2. But I am considering using Kceasy+Emule instead of kceasy+shareaza.

for movies:
Torrents, Usenet (Dutch users, for a starters guide that will make you download in 15min, check www.binaries4all.nl ) Edited by ZileXa

It's difficult to put peer-to-peer in a poll because there are networks and programs. Some people are argumenting about speed but the speed depends on the upload of others.
Torrents work very well and for me the best program is µTorrent. There is no reason anymore to choose for a big program like Azureus or BitComet. Some programs have build-in torrent support, like Shareaza and Opera, but it's less good I think.
For other networks it's more complicate. For Gnutella; FrostWire, Cabos or something else? (LimeWire and BearShare are not the best choices)
Wich other networks have a lot of good stuff?

i use on s***(wxp) emule, emule+, dc+ & BitComet but from month i use p2p on my homie linux router and i found good p2p client mldonkey (it comes with Edonkey,Overnet,Bittorent,Shareaza,Gnutella,DC etc.) ALL in ONE!
good client but you must know smth aout linux/telnet.. of course mldonkey on linux is WWW Gui based and Gui on X (i thing on GTK), telnet and Wap :P

Im running mldonkey on Debian/Sid - unstable - the pakage is "mldonkey-server".

[quote name='flupke' post='486399' date='Mar 28 2006, 05:21 PM']Torrents work very well and for me the best program is µTorrent. There is no reason anymore to choose for a big program like Azureus or BitComet.[/quote]
Azureus uses Java, which sucks. BitComet is awesome. I know uTorrent has a bit more customizability, but I'd choose the ability to download the files in the torrents s higher priority than being able to choose which columns are visible in the main GUI. I could never get uTorrent to download anything as well as BitComet does. I've grabbed countless movies, tv shows, albums, programs with BitComet over the past 6 months. So as for casting it out into the cold just because there's some other program that's a single EXE, it sleeps at the end of my digital bed. :P

• 4 weeks later...
I use Bit Tornado for torrents and DC++ for p2p. It is a nice program, but bad it dosen't have reverse connection.
I am tempted to try BitComet, but I wouldn't want to find out that something cause by the program screwed my windows that miraculously, hasn't been reinstalled for over 1 year. Bit Tornado is very simple, with no functions, but it's getting the job done

nobody seems to of mentioned DC++ its the best p2p program ive come across, ive tried all the others mentioned in this thread over the last few years and each has its own faults, like file snot been what they say they are, viruses, spyware,addware, etc, on dc++ ive allways found what ive searched for and even stuf thats increadably hard to get hold of theres comunitys on there for sharing bootlegs of bads, ec, and good to awesome download speeds

Add another vote for uTorrent. As a programmer, I find it very well made (around 200K) and it works well.

I haven't seen/tried DC++ yet. Is it esentially like eDonkey/Gnutella/winMX? It seems like those services eventually get shutdown.

• 3 weeks later...