On 4/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, XPerceniol said:

Well ... once we get through the first (successful) loading of the browser it works fine and I found this setting (on the 2nd picture below - sorry guys) seems to improve youtube and having another page or forum open whilst. I still say its quite impressive these new browsers work on old systems such as mine.

Sorry about the quality of that screen grab - I don't know what it came out that blurred when I'm seeing it fine here. 

Not sure about what this flag would do. 

spacer.png

In my experience, all those memory "saving features", including this one, and the infamous "refresh" only consume more RAM.

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/507#issuecomment-2071376972

15 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

If it's a site you use all the time, a simple css replacement in something like Stylus is a very easy solution.

Funny you should say that!
The mention of Stylus jogged my memory that I was already doing exactly that on 360Chrome, and have been doing so for well over a year! :D
Strangely though, if I switch off Stylus now the Digital Spy forum site still looks OK, so they've obviously changed something.

I've tried installing Stylus on Thorium, and importing the Stylus settings from 360Chrome, but it doesn't work, the font is still wrong.
I've attached my Stylus settings file, do you think it's still correct?
The site still looks correct in Supermium without Stylus even installed.
:dubbio:
stylus-2024-04-23.json

Intriguing.  I'll see if I can find anything this evening.

I'd be flagged by IT in three different countries if I so much as downloaded Supermium or Thorium here at work.
Irony there is they've never noticed my 360Chrome 1030 but they did "slap my hand" when I tried 2044.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Looking at the Thorium performance settings, I was intrigued by this -

Clipboard-3.thumb.jpg.ae468533ca05517f9349ad48946bb9a7.jpg

Switching u-Block off for just that page makes no difference, but if uBlock is disabled completely, the option becomes available again.
This is the same in Supermium BTW.

I do not, nor ever have, used any "preload" functions.  It's just a fancy way of saying "We are spying on you and trying to predict your next click, we will load our prediction in the background so that when you do make that click, we have half that page already loaded."

Think about it, that means that if the "algorithm" made a WRONG PREDICTION, then the algorithm made a connection to a web site that you yourself never actually visited.

Absolutely right, I can't imagine that it's something that I would ever actually want to use!
I was just a bit puzzled as to what uBlock had to do with it.
Is it something that uBlock would block as a matter of course, regardless of its settings?

On 4/23/2024 at 8:14 AM, Dave-H said:

It looks fine in 360Chrome and Supermium, but not in Thorium, where it falls back to Times New Roman.

I am hereby GIVING UP COMPLETELY on Supermium!  I do NOT have the patience of this thing pegging my CPU at 100% for two to four minutes at a time, wait 10 seconds, then peg again.

While I continue to have "high hopes" for Supermium, this is by far the WORST browser I've ever ran!

It will improve, I have no doubt about that!  But THORIUM does not do this pegging for SEVERAL minutes at a time !!!

image.png.3b215fcd3c2863b9e284503150282bfc.png

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Absolutely right, I can't imagine that it's something that I would ever actually want to use!
I was just a bit puzzled as to what uBlock had to do with it.
Is it something that uBlock would block as a matter of course, regardless of its settings?

uBlock has quite some settings to prevent Chrome's malicious behaviour, for example - block remote fonts, CSP reports, disable pre-fetching (to prevent any connection for blocked network requests), disable hyperlink auditing, etc.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I am hereby GIVING UP COMPLETELY on Supermium!  I do NOT have the patience of this thing pegging my CPU at 100% for two to four minutes at a time, wait 10 seconds, then peg again.

Hardware specs? I don't observe this on an el-cheapo Pentium G3470 (bought for 5 Euros).

On 4/23/2024 at 8:14 AM, Dave-H said:

Back on topic, has anyone else using Thorium noticed it sometimes not loading web fonts?
I've noticed it on this forum site which I use a lot - https://forums.digitalspy.com/
It looks fine in 360Chrome and Supermium, but not in Thorium, where it falls back to Times New Roman.
The console shows many entries saying "OTS parsing error: Unable to instantiate font face from font data."
I assume this is the cause.

For me, everything falls back to sans-serif.  Unsure where it pulls this from because my system font settings should have it falling back to Tahoma.

The font causing all the parsing errors is a "gstatic" font, which I wouldn't normally allow a connection to anyway (I block via uMatrix).

59 minutes ago, Dixel said:

uBlock has quite some settings to prevent Chrome's malicious behaviour, for example - block remote fonts, CSP reports, disable pre-fetching (to prevent any connection for blocked network requests), disable hyperlink auditing, etc.

I've had a look just in case it was stopping web fonts from downloading and causing the issue on the Digital Spy forums.
That option is switched off though.

Just to illustrate, this is what I'm seeing with Supermium, and 360Chrome -

Supermium.thumb.jpg.3e31e4c1051925a0492d7bd75bdfadc5.jpg

And this is what I'm seeing in Thorium -

Thorium.thumb.jpg.3b0bfd5977871233eaf2afe7856fc2d0.jpg

As you can see, the font is completely different.
Looks like Time New Roman to me, but might not be from what @NotHereToPlayGames said!