r3dfox, modern Firefox based web browser for Windows 7!

Posted (edited)

mmm this fork caught my eye today

unlike librewolf, the newest "version" works on win7

me like it !

Edited by vinifera

On 5/9/2024 at 3:03 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Yes it is so Firefox is heavier than Edge.:yes:

This must be one of the reasons I'm still on Pale Moon most of the time.

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: firefox.exe (10540) consumed 2574610432 bytes, firefox.exe (3720) consumed 1298313216 bytes, and firefox.exe (11168) consumed 513085440 bytes.

All my ancient XUL extensions still work, including ColorfulTabs (love ColorfulTabs! only updated it few years back by myself to remove the bug related to Australis UI detection) and Navigation Sounds. There's Extra Sounds for Firefox, but there's a catch other than those sounds being hardcoded, extension being active means there's always one AudioContext active, which means Windows resolution timer is permanently stuck on 1 ms as long as the browser runs even with zero multimedia stuff active on web pages, which is bad .

Latest uBO would be nice, but eh, we still get by with the old one. Speaking of uBO, I would laugh so hard if Mozilla dropped Manifest V2.

Yesterday after my PC came out of sleep, one of the firefox.exe renderer processes was stuck in a loop, constantly consuming over 40%...even worse when Pale Moon gets stuck on crappy JavaScript on some crappy pages, which is usually constrained on one core, so that's 25% in my case on a quad core.

Posted (edited)

I personally use Firefox with DNS-level network filtering (cosmetic filtering impossible),with only 2 filter lists enabled.

I personally think that MSFN members who use uBlock Origin exclusively in Easy Mode with a total number of filter lists (network + cosmetic) greater than 100,000 should try uBlock Origin Lite (obviously in their browsers that support this extension).

The Lite version has compression of the filtering rules (the original compression value was greater than 5) with respect to the applied network filtering rules.

Content filtering based on CSS/JS injection that r3dfox (but almost certainly also in Supermium/Thorium because it is available in Chrome after version 88) certainly supports because it is based on FF.103.x is reliably performed by the browser itself rather than by the extension and thus does not consume CPU/Memory.

P.S.

Of course, it would need to be tested to see if the theory is also correct in practice.:rolleyes::)

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

21 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Well, now that I know what it is called, I fail to understand why anybody would be using uBO in anything but HARD MODE.

Question you need to ask other MSFN members.
I have the red selector.

2.jpg

But in this forum I have only seen UBO selectors in gray.
No blue or red.
So, for me, the conclusion is obvious.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Kind of.  Goanna is a fork of Gecko.

If I remember correctly, Pale Moon has used Goanna ever since version 26.

Guanno :P

it is still outdated...

Posted (edited)

I ran a test with uBlock Origin Lite with the filter lists in the image below enabled.

tQbHDxf.jpeg

I used the full filtering block (which can be selected differently on each website).

No ads.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira