Good Portable Browser for a Windows 7 Notebook

Monroe

Well I have decided to finally move up the ladder a rung or two. I bought a Windows 7 ThinkPad notebook. It's used of course and labeled to be in 'mint'  condition. Late to the Win 7 party for sure but I was late for the Win XP party also ... didn't start using Win XP till 2012.

I have been having more problems over the last 2 years with web pages not opening or looking right or now being 'refused' entry to a web page being told my browser is 'too old' ... just clicking on a link to read a news story but I can't get there. Changing the user agent can only do so much and usually nothing at all.

I still intend to mostly use my ThinkPad T42 XP notebook since all the software programs I need and use are on that computer. I can still do banking and most everything else also. The newer ThinkPad will be a T520:

T520 (4204-4AU)
15" 1366x768 screen
Windows 7 x64
i5-2520m (2C/4T 2.5-3.2 GHz)
8GB RAM
250 GB SSD
Webcam, DisplayPort, VGA, DVD±RW, dual-band wifi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, USB 2.0, ExpressCard, FireWire, eSATA
6C or 9C batteries
$120 for "mint" condition unit (1 available, 256GB SSD) - SOLD
$60 for "good" condition unit (2 available)

I could have had a 6C or 9C battery but I like the smaller battery and I will not need a lot of battery power anyway and the 'good condition' wouid have been OK but I went for the 'mint' T520.

Once I get it all set up and secure to my liking I will probably do banking and other critical things on the T520. I don't intend to load it up with many software programs ... as I mentioned earlier, all the programs I currently use are on the Win XP computer. Sometimes I do run into a program that won't run on Win XP so I will put those on the Win 7 ThinkPad.

I just wanted to get some help / advice as to what portable browser or two portable browsers would be the best to use on this computer. I am thinking that using this newer notebook with a better browser will let me use or see web pages that I'm currently having trouble with.

I didn't want to install a browser just use a portable one.

thanks ...

supermium a Windows 7 port of the Chrome browser, cant find portable version but web sites think you use Win 10.
https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases latest version mimics Chrome vs 118.

Depends on your definition of "portable".

Some people want to login from one computer from a browser stored on a thumb drive, carry the thumb drive to another computer, and still be logged in.

That isn't easy to do.

If by "portable" you are only seeking no registry entries on the host computer, no favorites stored on the computer, favorites travel with the thumb drive, as examples, then *ANY* Chrome-based browser can do that.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Ok ... reading the replies ... the last post by TSNH could be one browser. I forgot that now having a Win 7 computer ... or soon to have one, will get it next week ... anyway, I could use Pale Moon again. I now use New Moon and a few others for Win XP but I can get a few better working browsers now for Win 7.

Here is the web page that I can never open to read a story.from. Of course I could just move on but there is interesting news there sometimes. There are a few other sites also.

First dinosaur found in Yellowstone. ... but I can't even get the link to post here.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/

This is what I always see ...

Unfortunately, your
browser is out of date

Update your current browser to the latest version or download one of these browsers:

https://cowboystatedaily.com/unsupported-browser.html

I am hoping with the newer notebook and a better browser, I won't run into this problem again or for awhile till Win 7 gets older.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Depends on your definition of "portable".

If by "portable" you are only seeking no registry entries on the host computer, no favorites stored on the computer, favorites travel with the thumb drive, as examples, then *ANY* Chrome-based browser can do that.

Yes, that is what I mean in this case for 'portable'.

1 hour ago, RJM said:

You think that you are late to Win 7, I finally got here in 2017.

I'm sure there are many more out there somewhere. Just had to throw in the towel with these web pages not working or my Win XP computer just trying to open a page and just getting so 'hot'. Lately, I am having that problem with Amazon. I didn't seem to have any serious problems with Amazon until the last six months. You would think the computer is going to burst into flames or maybe just melt down.

I hope this Windows 7 notebook and a better browser will take care of all that.

Any Firefox browser, as well as its forks, Waterfox, Palemoon, can easily be made portable. To do this, make a cmd file in the browser folder with the following line: firefox.exe -Profile "username" If there will be another browser, then accordingly: waterfox.exe -Profile "username"

5 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Any Firefox browser, as well as its forks, Waterfox, Palemoon, can easily be made portable.

Yep.  I prefer to avoid cmd files for this and use the Official Pale Moon Portable loader and file structure and replace the "bin" filder with the extracted fork files.

17 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

In that case, use a WinPenPack or PortableApps Chrome and *replace* the bin folder with the extracted Ungoogled Chromium v109.

I can compile more detailed "how-to" if needed.

Ok ... I found UnGoogled Chromium v109.0.5414.120-1 at GitHub Actions ... and also came across this version of:

UnGoogled Chromium v117.0.5938.92-1 at Softpedia. Is v117 a newer version? I downloaded Pale Moon v32.4.1 x64 but can't do anything with it till I get the T520 W7 x 64 notebook. So then if I understand correctly ... I put the UnGoogled Chromium v109.0.5414.120-1 into the Palemoon bin folder after I delete everything in the bin folder.

Just reading your last post: "I prefer to avoid cmd files for this and use the Official Pale Moon Portable loader and file structure and replace the "bin" filder with the extracted fork files."

Just to make clear ... I downloaded the Palemoon-Portable-32.4.1.win64 version.

thanks ...

Edited by Monroe
sp, add