Flood Control

The Flood Control didn't work, by the way.

This morning's spam assault of HUNDREDS of spam was done by HUNDREDS of NEW MSFN MEMBERS, unlike yesterday where the HUNDREDS of spam was all done by a "few" NEW MSFN MEMBERS.

So Flood Control doesn't do anything if a NEW MEMBER posts ONE spam, then a DIFFERENT new member posts another ONE spam, then a THIRD new member posts another ONE spam.

HUNDREDS of times.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

31 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

We've been suffering a spam attack, that's why flood control was enabled.
Hopefully it won't have to be left enabled permanently!
:)

Thanks for your reply! At the moment, it's absolutely no fun to have a conversation anymore. I only see messages telling me to wait x sec until I can reply where x is an integer growing with attempts to respond in a timely manner. :angry:

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

No chance to reply as usual.

It changes the linear flow, but there is a "trick".

Any number of people can post without any flood control within any given thread and can "discuss" back and forth with ZERO delay.

The trick is to post something, let the other person post their reply, then you can reply to their reply by editing your first post, then they edit their post, you can talk all day long with ZERO "flood control" because EDITS do not have a time limit.

You have to refresh/reload for the edits to appear and you don't get the nice notification bubble for "Show Reply" when reading and somebody adds a post.

The discussion doesn't read "top to bottom" like it normally would, but you can "discuss" without the delay.

I probably wasn't supposed to make that "public", but technically it already is.  Quite common actually if you've been on forums like this over the years and had to "suffer through" these sorts of spam assaults.

I'm confident they will get the spam assaults back under control so all of this should only need to be short-term.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

The flood control change did exactly what we wanted it to. It wasn't going to stop people from making posts. The only way to prevent the new accounts from making those spam posts was to prevent all members from being able to make any posts. That is the reality of what features are available in the forum software. Having to deal with hundreds instead of thousands is a good trade off. The expectations and function of flood control has nothing to do with the usability of the forum from a regular person's viewpoint, it is solely to assist Moderators in dealing with the situation on the back end.

In the future, do not OTSP about these types of things in tech threads. Make a thread in this section instead.