ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2044 rebuild 2

20 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not a setting unless it's a special "player" with its own settings (like Flash used to have).

Sounds to me like a .css type of position reset (I forget what the actual name is), something that was implemented post-v86 and that v86 would need a custom style sheet to resolve.

Same video on real chromium 109 or FF have setting at bottom. For me it's not comming from the web site.

29 minutes ago, seven4ever said:

Heve you found a site where settings are at bottom ?

My YouTube buttons are at the bottom.

If you are referring to Widevine buttons, I'm not the one to ask, I do not "do" DRM via web browser.

I have streaming "hardware" (Roku) for all my streaming needs and generally do not "stream" on a 21" computer monitor or 6" mobile phone when I have 50" and 55" TV's for that sort of activity.

@dmiranda
While I think I'm careful, I'm not super careful, though when it comes to computer security, it's been my experience that probability of an awful incident is very low, low enough at least that I don't have to be paranoid about it.
And if I can't have few nice things in this cursed existence, then to hell with everything!

Hello @NotHereToPlayGames.  Are your "360Chrome v13.5.2044 rebuild 2" releases performance optimized like it was for your 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 7 releases?  I am still using your ungoogled 360Chrome v13.5.1030 rebuild 7 release and found it very superior in performance to your previous releases.  I mainly use Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

image.thumb.png.c93400f66236a04a49ea550121253ce4.png

Very very SLIGHT edge to 2044 being faster than 1030.

These scores are on XP x64 with a 10yr old i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz with 16 GB RAM.

I haven't ran the comparison on any of my older x86 machines because while scores will vary, the ORDER of which performs FASTER has always remained the same when comparing multiple machines.

On 10/25/2023 at 5:12 AM, dmiranda said:

Hi @mina7601, it is attached, but just to satisfy curiosity, This doesn't happen to me in a vanilla set up (in vm). It's just a product of my settings. Now, are my settings safer than vanilla? I think so. That's why I report, based on usage, what I reported. 

Is it something really to worry about? No. I know the risks I take usding this mod, relative to not using it (beginning with the fact that some sites would be unusable or subpar). But I guess knowing is always good.

Noname.png

I'm sorry, I forgot to reply to this, but thank you for the information.

I've tested this release on Vista 64 in a VM with Widevine.

Like XP 64, it doesen't work, with or without missing api-ms-win-*.dll's and ext-ms-win-*.dll's stored in syswow64 folder.

So it's Win 7+ for him for widevine use.

Edited by seven4ever

On 10/25/2023 at 10:01 AM, seven4ever said:

Seems on all 360 chrome versions, page : chrome://components/  is not working. Haven't test with original.

Again on Win7, Chrome 109, update is still possible

360Chrome isn't your standard Chromium fork, hence some things are missing or don't work or work differently. For example, not sure if it reads Group Policies either or if there's a different key they're read from, if I remember correctly, chrome://policy page doesn't work either, so you wouldn't be able to check which policies are active.

Unless you fancy its distinct characteristics, Kafan MiniBrowser would be closer to standard Chromium when it comes to XP compatible browsers. Though NPAPI support, which 360Chrome has, would be nice in mainstream browsers in general...why can't I have full-featured PDF reader in a browser tab, it was standard back then. And ignoring some unique traits of 360Chrome, for Windows 7 and later especially, I'd also say there are better options out there IMHO. Widevine is a separate proprietary module with its own requirements, so no backport fork of a browser to XP will make it work there.

On 10/25/2023 at 2:17 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

If you are referring to Widevine buttons, I'm not the one to ask, I do not "do" DRM via web browser.

Widevine just decodes the video stream, everything else, the player is just HTML, CSS, JavaScript. JavaScript calls Widevine to do the decoding part, it's usually used to implement interactivity with the player interface as well.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

For example, not sure if it reads Group Policies either or if there's a different key they're read from, if I remember correctly, chrome://policy page doesn't work either, so you wouldn't be able to check which policies are active.

Yes, you're right, chrome://policy doesn't work as well.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

And ignoring some unique traits of 360Chrome, for Windows 7 and later especially, I'd also say there are better options out there IMHO.

Agreed!  I've always stated that this project was more of a stop-gap to "buy time" for XP users to migrate away from XP.

Though even in 10, there are still some tasks that I prefer to throw at 360Chrome.

I think that is MORE COMMON than most realize, especially here at MSFN.

I cite Serpent builds.  Let's be fair, there is a LOT that Serpent (my secondary on XP) simply can NOT do.

But what it does do has a very large following despite what it cannot do.

Unique traits of Serpent.  Unique traits of New Moon.  Unique traits of 360Chrome.

We're all allowed to have our own favorite.  :cheerleader:

I have history on my side, whenever newcomers ask "what browser is the best", my answer is always the same, though maybe worded differently each time.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "BEST" BROWSER.  Personal choice.  Personal choice.  Personal choice.

It's like the recent issues with Chase.com.  I know that history well!  I cancelled a Chase credit card when I could no longer access the site using Official Pale Moon.

Little did I know that Chase was only the first chapter of that very long story.  Members that have been around a while know about my water bill payment web site, lol.

Surprisingly, 360Chrome can do all of those still to this day on XP.  Thanks to conversations here at MSFN, of course (ie, polyfills).

On 10/24/2023 at 10:48 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Regarding the user-shared dark theme files.

I can report that I did not witness any Chinese IP Addresses being pinged when trial-running them for an hour or so last night.

I obviously only used them as theme replacements within "rebuild 2".

They are extremely "bloated" though and this thread is more about running a fully-functional debloated variation of 2044 versus running "upstream" 2044.

Debloat will of course vary from one system to the next.  WinXP x64 requires some "extra" dll's that are not required for Vista and higher.  WinXP x86 can't use the dll's that are required for XinXP x64.  Et cetera.

Of course! Why would I give a theme with China connections!? What do you mean by "bloated"? There's nothing there that connects to China.

3 hours ago, seven4ever said:

I've found that shurtcut key "F1" bring us to an very old chinese site, with translater active we can read help for 8.1 version...

I dont know if this is was desired.

Yes, I can confirm, it's the same like in the original version it leads to

h--p://bbs.360.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14294828

http I replaced to h--p