Strange Error message

OldSchool38

Error.jpg.c141c94f78dc1190e61d14024e920c7f.jpg

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I used Vista-but recently after Steam dropped support for windows 7, I decided to do the right thing and delete my account and just get a couple of games that I liked the most off Gog games so I wouldn't be forced to upgrade to the latest garbage!  Since the older games I liked will run fine on Vista 64 bit-I decided to dust off my old Ultimate Vista disk and give it a go.  After updating everything, I did the editing trick to enable me to use the 15.6 beta radeon driver which works well with my 4gb 350 card.  So far so good, however I get this error from time to time when I start to play a game or use some video related utility-I hit ok and am able to go from there-but is there a fix for this and is it related to my video driver or something else?

Hello! Can't see what is shown at the top of the pic. If the driver itself works fine, then I d'say it must be some bonus crap programmes they usually stuff driver packages with.

2 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

15.6 beta radeon driver which works well with my 4gb 350 card.  So far so good, however I get this error from time to time when I start to play a game or use some video related utility

You need to apply patches by @smeezekitty
32-bit

64-bit

If you have extended kernel installed, use powrprof.dll from the extended kernel instead of the patched one.

2 hours ago, TSNH said:

You need to apply patches by @smeezekitty
32-bit

64-bit

If you have extended kernel installed, use powrprof.dll from the extended kernel instead of the patched one.

Just tried that, had to go into Safe Mode to get it to work.  There wasn't a C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\ATI.ACE\Core-Static folder, but I created one and put the required files in.  So far so good, no error messages and my games and VLC player work fine!  Thanks!:thumbup

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

That didn't happen yet, but it will take effect on January 1, 2024. Link to the announcement.

My error, but it's soon enough-I prefer older games you could install with a disk rather than a net based service that tries to force you to update to the latest Windows Malware!

Btw, is it just me or is Vista the best looking of the modern windows Os's?  Even win 7 Areo didn't strike me as being as well polished!:cool:

6 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

I prefer older games you could install with a disk rather than a net based service that tries to force you to update to the latest Windows Malware!

I agree!

6 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

Btw, is it just me or is Vista the best looking of the modern windows Os's?

No, believe me, I am sure you're not alone on this. Even though I preferred Windows 7's look, I still liked Vista's look.

Edited by mina7601

Getting forgetful, aren't we?

Well, I am too or I never knew for sure, but it was common for software to stop working on XP and Vista simultaneously with newer versions.

Edit: Maybe not in this case.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=57394

Maybe 4.10 still works, at least gzdoom.exe doesn't have TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive in the import table.

Edited by UCyborg

15 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

Looked up and got my hands on CFF Explorer, but have no clue where to find the string you mentioned-looks like a pretty powerful tool though once I figure it out!

Go to "import directory/kernel32" and search there.