Supermium

if its based of the "gdi chromium project" i might have a guess , im not certain but

if i remember right that problem with the sometimes a bit missplaced fonts apeared by release

there was a small routine from google for gdi to sort the font, that he actually no longer used 

i a older release (that was not public) it still had that code 

it is only a a guess - im not certain at all - it takes me 7 days to compile chrome 1 time

I've tested the latest build on Xp 64 bits, it works. But I'm still waiting for the Ungoogled version. ATM I stay with 360 chrome and Firefox derivatives.

2 hours ago, seven4ever said:

waiting for the Ungoogled version

What is it about vanilla Chrome that makes you dislike it? What data, specifically, do you not want Google to lay its prying corporate hands on? Or is it a religious/political thing? Serious question, since i use Chrome, YT & Google search.

For starters, even if we leave aside the data collection thingy, it's simply heavier. Ungoogled version has more useful flags for user's convenience, highly customizable. Are you sure you ever tried it?

55 minutes ago, Dixel said:

[Chrome is] simply heavier. 

Does 'heavier' translate to 'slower,' or is it about 'task manager number go up'? Edit: Disregard, it doesn't (W10 LTSC IoT, i7 4770).

Ungoogled version has more useful flags

My browser customization doesn't get more involved than using the Nord-looking color scheme & Dark Reader to match. What flags do you use?

Are you sure you ever tried it?

Sure, though will boot into 10 or 11 and give it another shot. Would be fun to see if 'light' really does mean fast (just to satisfy my curiosity -- i'm pretty reliant on my Google account (Gmail, YT, Sync, etc.)). 

Edited by 66cats

3 hours ago, 66cats said:

Does 'heavier' translate to 'slower,' or is it about 'task manager number go up'?

Slower startup and heavier HDD usage.

What flags do you use?

First and foremost, I disable everything GPU related, I don't watch videos in browsers.

i'm pretty reliant on my Google account (Gmail, YT, Sync, etc.))

Then you've come to the right place, I don't think Supermium will ever be fully ungoogled. With the rate the developer adds Ungoogled features it may only happen in the year 3047.

Why? I don't know, probably the ungoogled demand is low.

Sure, though will boot into 10 or 11 and give it another shot. Would be fun to see if 'light' really does mean fast

Probably a more fair comparison would be to run them both on Vista, Ungoogled runs on Vista ex-kernel up to version 110-111 or so.

Supermium was made for Vista initially, that's what I mean.

4 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Slower startup

How does one measure? Got 2 open side-by-side, both open in less than a second in W10 (i guess i could screen-record & count the number of frames, though sub-second seems good 'nuff).

8 minutes ago, Dixel said:

heavier HDD usage.

You got me there, don't have anything with a HDD. Out of curiosity, why does heavier HDD & GPU use matter if it doesn't slow the browser down? 

How does one measure?

No tests are needed since it's too obviously noticeable. Ungoogled opens up in a matter of milliseconds, while with the usual Chrome or even Supermium I have to wait for 3 seconds on my HDD. But then again, it may be different with your hardware.

9 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Supermium was made for Vista initially,

The interesting bit is Supermium doesn't require extended kernel to run (ungoogled, just like Chrome/Chromium, does). 

Out of curiosity, why does heavier HDD & GPU use matter if it doesn't slow the browser down? 

I don't understand the question. I have a fast HDD - Raptor, a very old GTX titan (produced: Januray 2013).

15 minutes ago, Dixel said:

3 seconds on my HDD.

Which OS? On XP, Supermium takes a long time to open (on all my boxen), and often fails to load pages (leaving them blank) on the first try. OTOH, ungoogled doesn't run at all.

11 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I don't understand the question. I have a fast HDD - Raptor, a very old GTX titan (produced: Januray 2013).

Two-part question: 

1. Why does it matter if, while you're using a browser, the HDD led flashes? Are you concerned about a nominally higher electric bill, heads servo noise, HDD wearing out, what is the drawback of the HDD being used?

2. Ditto for GPU acceleration: Why would you not want your GPU to be used?

Edited by 66cats

Two-part question: 

1. Why does it matter if, while you're using a browser, the HDD led flashes? Are you concerned about a nominally higher electric bill, heads servo noise, HDD wearing out, what is the drawback of the HDD being used?

2. Ditto for GPU acceleration: Why would you not want your GPU to be used?

1. No, we got a very cheap, green electricity, here in Holland, I'm more concerned with the unnecessary wear and log waiting times each start brings.

2. The same idi*otic voltage spikes each start brings, why would a browser need to bring my gpu to the full clocking state each start? Then it of course settles down, but it's simply not helping to let it survive longer.

The interesting bit is Supermium doesn't require extended kernel to run (ungoogled, just like Chrome/Chromium, does). 

A fair guess is to assume Supermium already includes the kernel mod within the non-disclosed, close source parts, like progwrp.dll, for example.