Supermium

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

aren't there flags to enable/disable GDI, it may simply be GDI rendering.

I tried of course, I also wrote about it, you've missed it.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Seems to me that it MIGHT BE something specific to that participant's hardware or self-admitted MODDED graphic's driver.

Missed my post again, I wonder if folks these days read before posting. It's rather insulting to assume I didn't try all available drivers before troubling win32.

I mean, it's me we are talking about, not a random github fella.

"I tried other drivers, all the same."

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185045-supermium/?do=findComment&comment=1259724

On 2/4/2024 at 6:32 AM, 66cats said:

If brightness bothers you, try Dark Reader -- an extension that turns black text on white background to light text on dark background, e.g. from this to this. Might make the browser slightly laggier with just 2GB, but i doubt it.

Thanks, tried that, the white text is still too white, besides it has no affect on the Supermium UI. I have 16GB, no lagging was observed.

56 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Missed my post again

Perhaps.  But I didn't lose any sleep over it.  :buehehe:

Can you (not any one person in particular, but the plural "collective" that keeps commenting on "text brightness") at least "humor us" and see if you notice any "brightness" difference when NOT using dark mode?

Granted, this may be a difference between "pure black" and "very dark gray, almost black".  If this can be isolated, then isn't the dark mode doing what it is supposed to be doing?

ie, converting "pure black" to "pure white" and converting "almost black" to "almost white".

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Perhaps.  But I didn't lose any sleep over it.  :buehehe:

Is there a requirement of always being rude? Was I ever rude to you? No.

I can disagree with you, but I don't roll on you. With such attitude you don't attract normal people to join your monologues.

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Granted, this may be a difference between "pure black" and "very dark gray, almost black".  If this can be isolated, then isn't the dark mode doing what it is supposed to be doing?

ie, converting "pure black" to "pure white" and converting "almost black" to "almost white".

How then you'd explain it works (like it supposed to) in a normal Chrome 115? Unfortunately, I can't test both of 121 version, because I only have a self-ported v115 at my disposal.

But then again, in older tests 115 vs 115, Supermium was also brighter.

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

self-ported

Doesn't that kind of explain the brightness difference in-and-of-itself?

What does self-ported detail?  Surely a port by Programmer X is going to be different than a port by Programmer Y?  Or am I missing something?

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Doesn't that kind of explain the brightness difference in-and-of-itself?

What does self-ported detail?  Surely a port by Programmer X is going to be different than a port by Programmer Y?  Or am I missing something?

Yes, you do, there were several reports of different brightness levels in CatsXP (no modifications, just running only on kernel-ex), ported Chrome 115 (mine), default version of Brave and even Ungoogled!

Supermium is brighter than all of those above, also has thicker, blurry fonts. I talk about all fonts (including the UI).

The winners are Ungoogled and Brave. 

Dark Mode (and anti-alias fonts) gives me migraines.  Do you have a way of demonstrating this brightness *without* using Dark Mode?

As far as that goes, "thicker, blurry fonts" also seems to indicate anti-alias - which is disabled on my systems.  So that too could be the difference between what I see versus what you see.

I don't go nearly as far as I used to as far as disabling anti-alias on Win10 systems.

But if Supermium has a GDI flag, I thought that disabled anti-alias, but I'm not positive on that.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

anti-alias

Curious factoid: Supermium renders *some* fonts with grayscale anti-alising where other browsers, e.g. Mypal, use cleartype. No idea if this has anything to do with perceived 'brightness,' but a verifiable difference. BTW, this happens only on some sites/fonts, Google results, for instance, appear in cleartype.

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Compare the word "Brave" to "Supermium".  Around "Supermium" we can see ugly, thick, red, blurry areals. The word "Brave" looks much cleaner.

definitely you need to pay a visit to the ophthalmologist.... :blink:

Brave background is a little bit darker, other than this the fonts on either of them are equally blurry but that could be due to the screenshot quality and there's no difference to me brightness wise.

just my 0.2

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

definitely you need to pay a visit to the ophthalmologist.... :blink:

the screenshot quality 

I never claimed to have eagle vision, but my eyesight is fine. The screenshot quality uploaded on the website is automatically compressed, I have the original.

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

Brave background is a little bit darker

There you go! Finally someone noticed! Even on the poorly compressed screenshot it's still visible. On my good monitor, Supermium background looks like it's backlit with LEDs (cheap chinese bluish LEDs).