Disable Spectre/Meltdown protection for a 4% performance boost

NotHereToPlayGames

I've been recently comparing/contrasting Win10 LTSB 2016 [1607] with Win10 LTSC 2021 [21H2] (not to be confused with LTSC 2018 [1809]).

The gaming community forums tend to prefer 1607 over 1809 but don't seem to discuss 21H2.

But one thing of interest, the gaming community also often intentionally disables Spectre/Meltdown mitigation (intentionally making themselves "vulnerable") for a gaming performance IMPROVEMENT.

Here is one analysis that cites 4% performance boost by running UNPATCHED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC1WuKdPVCQ

Here is a third-party tool to intentionally disable Spectre/Meltdown protection - https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Reminder that some of our HARDWARE provides Spectre/Meltdown protection.  The added software layer only "slows down our computer" (not claiming "night and day", but there is a performance effect).

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

For my very old Asus X54C with Win10 LTSB 2016 [1607] -

Passmark CPU Mark five-run-average (very tightly clustered, very good for statistics) scored 1343 (like I say, very old Asus X54C).

The CPU Mark five-run-average (still very tightly clustered) improved to 1345 by disabling Spectre/Meltdown.  Ugh, hardly worth the effort.

• NotHereToPlayGames changed the title to Disable Spectre/Meltdown protection for a 4% performance boost

I did see 6% boost on some benchmarks on LTSC 21H2, but slight decreases in other benchmarks.

But I'm also still digging for some drivers before I can officially migrate to LTSC 2021 (if I end up migrating).

Overall, it just doesn't seem that LTSC 2021 really gains me anything over LTSB 2016.

Process count TRIPLES but even with the much higher process count in LTSC 2021, it does seem to perform "equally" (within margin of error) with LTSB 2016.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Overall, it just doesn't seem that LTSC 2021 really gains me anything over LTSB 2016.

I don't know if you saw the post about adding new functions to new browsers, old win10 are already out of support by chrome 118 and up.

On 9/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, D.Draker said:

win10 are already out of support by chrome 118 and up

Chromium 119 still works on Threshold2 (1511)

119onth2.png.03ae245d919827788da1424b990c7bf7.png

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2015 based on the original RTM of Windows 10 is going to be supported till October 2025

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-2015-ltsb

So if the chromium devs keep supporting what M$ does, then you have 2 another years.

And also it doesn't look like they are going to drop Server 2016 very soon

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626?hl=en

11 hours ago, TSNH said:

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2015 based on the original RTM of Windows 10 is going to be supported till October 2025

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-2015-ltsb

So if the chromium devs keep supporting what M$ does, then you have 2 another years.

I'm not sure I understand what you were trying to say, if we stick only to official statements, the year old Chrome 109 is also still "supported".

Besides, it's simply not true. Old Win10 are thrown to garbage already. Look here:

Or you have doubts in @yoltboy01?

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I do have an old 15xx LTSB lying around somewhere.  May need to resurrect it.

I thought it was 1507 instead of 1511 but I really don't remember without reinstalling it.

Yes, RTM is 1507, right. 1511 is some beta (alpha?) pre-release.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Yes, RTM is 1507, right. 1511 is some beta (alpha?) pre-release.

1511 was a minor update to 1507 (not beta) and that's what I have available right now. I guess it introduced that one function needed for Chromium.

While the chromium team is then inconsequential in supporting all Windows 10 (supported by MS) versions, at least they have Server 2016 specifically listed on the website with no deprecation date scheduled.

OP's preferred version was 1607 (same as Server 2016).

Edited by TSNH

11 hours ago, Saxon said:

doesn't honour any updates

I also don't install those Windows Update updates, maybe I used a wrong terminology but 1511 is to 1507 what 8.1 is to 8.0, just with much less changes

Edited by TSNH

23 hours ago, TSNH said:

Chromium 119 still works on Threshold2 (1511)

13 hours ago, TSNH said:

1511 was a minor update to 1507 (not beta) and that's what I have available right now. I guess it introduced that one function needed for Chromium.

So Chromium 119 works on 1511 but does not work on 1507?

So far, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep LTSB 2016 [1607].

When (and only when!) I resume from hibernate or perform a full restart, the first (and only first!) launch of any Chrome/Chromium browser (including Opera and Vivaldi) takes 16 to 34 seconds to launch!  Sorry, but "unacceptable".

Online reading suggests that MS Edge does not have this delay (but there is no "ungoogled" vesion of Edge and this is equally "unacceptable" for my preferences).

Official Pale Moon does not have the launch delay but holy d@mn is it SSLLLOOOOOOWWW for EVERYTHING that a browser is supposed to be capable of doing.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

So Chromium 119 works on 1511 but does not work on 1507?

Yes,

It looks like it can be easily patched for 1507 too (idk for how long as this post was about 118)