GPU temperature display in Task Manager disappears after hybrid shutdown/hibernating

UCyborg

Windows 10 20H2 version 10.0.19042.906
NVIDIA driver version 461.40

Just wondering if anyone encountered this and could point out whether it's a Windows issue or a NVIDIA driver issue. I noticed disabling and re-enabling the graphics driver in Device Manager brings it back.

I don't use hybrid shutdown or hibernating, and I didn't encounter the problem in Windows 10 21H2. But it seems that installing different NVIDIA driver is helpful in Windows 11 when GPU temperature disappears.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/gpu-temperature-suddenly-missing-in-windows-11-task-manager-performance-left-side/587896

22 hours ago, Cocodile said:

From my experience with old cards, (I have an old GPU Titan XP, made in 2016), anything after 45x.xx is simply bad for such old cards.

It was always the case, and it goes like this for ages, newer drivers are better optimized fir newer card generations, I'd say the drivers are good usually up to 3 years from the initial card release. Then they just don't care about your relic and move on.

Right, I was just curious, it's not something that actively bothers me and needs addressing right away, but my Windows installation has other unexplainable issues that are more worrisome and needs re-installing, not sure when I'll get to it, probably not anytime soon, just too much work to put every little thing back to how it was and the most important things work at least.

Onto the unexplainable, the empty HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ServerKey registry key keeps being re-created, don't know by what, don't know when, I'll delete it and it'll be gone for a day or two, then it's back, then the WER crash dialogs invoked by application crashes don't appear when they normally should, despite the \Windows Components\Windows Error Reporting\Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors group policy being correctly configured - Disabled, only WerTweak utility brings them back, but this should only make difference when it comes to invocations that MS disabled, like when Explorer crashes or UWP stuff crashes. And the weather taskbar widget in ExplorerPatcher makes Explorer eventually crash, at some point, it looks a crapload of USER handles is created in explorer.exe process, exceeding the limit of 10000 and then it crashes in a random DLL at a random offset.

I'm anxious about changing graphics driver on the current install, would rather experiment with that when I got Windows re-installed, unless I knew for certain these issues were somehow caused by the driver. But from my past experiences, Windows sometimes gets screwed in a certain way, then you re-install it along with every other program/driver you used and then it works again...until next time...

Edited by UCyborg

On 8/30/2023 at 8:39 PM, UCyborg said:

Onto the unexplainable, the empty HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ServerKey registry key keeps being re-created, don't know by what, don't know when, I'll delete it and it'll be gone for a day or two, then it's back, then the WER crash dialogs invoked by application crashes don't appear when they normally should, despite the \Windows Components\Windows Error Reporting\Prevent display of the user interface for critical errors group policy being correctly configured - Disabled,

Settings keep getting back to defaults in Win 10 is common knowledge. Especially in Error Reporting. No surprise, no wonder here. Policies have always been a moot point. Only removing and cutting out crap from ISO works. BTW, did you disable auto driver updates? Could be the reason.

I won't spend any more time troubleshooting the unexplainable as it's pointless and leads nowhere. The entire internet has no reference to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ServerKey. The installation of the same Win10 build in a VM works fine. I may re-install in the future or maybe switch to a different build, it's simple, effective and proven to work without requiring to be a rocket scientist.

But I'm not in a hurry as long as important stuff still works.

I'll make it clear once and for all - I don't believe in so-called "debloating". I like the idea of running Deep Freeze in theory, but I have stuff all over the place and would take some getting used to. Then I eventually always change the OS anyway so it's kinda moot in the long run.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I'll make it clear once and for all - I don't believe in so-called "debloating". 

Excuse me, it seemed to me you weren't happy about the restored default settings, but debloating is the only way, that is proven to work. So either you live with the default OS, or de-bloat the hell out if it. Simply no choice. A good example is remote desktop, which is reverted back with almost every update, even in Vista, and I'm sure I don't have to explain to you what it is. Have you ever used it yourself, apart from trying to hack someone else's PC with it?

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

I don't believe in so-called "debloating".

:blink:

Do you at least "believe in" disabling services and background tasks that are otherwise enabled by default?

If so, then "what's the difference" between disabling them after install versus running an OS that never installs them in the first place?

To me, even XP was bloated and required "debloating".