Dark Magic

Tihiy

I found another Directory Opus bug, see below.

image.thumb.png.def202a0dc2b58fdba18f69d5875f83f.png

For now I've added the following to the registry, I thought I'd share this just in case some else needs to exclude an app from Dark Magic:

image.thumb.png.84575ae93688abee98d71d45b27b23bd.png

Just now, Tihiy said:

Nope, value should be named 'DarkMagic'

Oh thanks. For some reason Disable worked. It did disable it after relaunching the app. But I'll switch that!! Thanks as always!

Posted (edited)

Dark Magic 3.7.6 changes:

- Ribbons are restyled in apps

- Command bar / shell icons are restyled in file dialogs

- Property sheets now have mica in apps

- Fixed bugs of shading of disabled windows on AMD graphics

- Fixed issues with Directory Opus

Edited by Tihiy

Hi @Tihiy
Just an FYI to report that Dark Magic is strangely not working on W11 systray context-menus for icons located in the overflow window area (especially with AutoHotkey scripts in particular) - but it's working fine with the same context menus located in the normal/always-visible systray location.

It would also be great if you could get dark magic working with 'UIAccess' apps & scripts and hopefully exe's running 'As Administrator'.

Finally, my favorite standalone 'TrueLaunchBar' context menus used to work great with Dark Magic, but now they no longer 'go dark' after one of the recent updates.

I really appreciate the great work you're doing on this feature and all the successes so far!
-JT 🔆

Edited by JTB3

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, JTB3 said:

Just an FYI to report that Dark Magic is strangely not working on W11 systray context-menus for icons located in the overflow window area (especially with AutoHotkey scripts in particular) - but it's working fine with the same context menus located in the normal/always-visible systray location.

It would also be great if you could get dark magic working with 'UIAccess' apps & scripts and hopefully exe's running 'As Administrator'.

Those should work as long as you're admin user. What are those and how they're started?

Edited by Tihiy

25 minutes ago, Tihiy said:

Those should work as long as you're admin user. What are those and how they're started?

These are all AutoHotkey scripts I'm having issues with.  I'm an admin user.
The UIAccess scripts are all running natively/uncompiled as .ahk and the 'run as admin' scripts are compiled from .ahk to .exe.   The visible (not overflow) systray context menus get properly 'dark' adjusted but context menus and tooltips launched inside the scripts are resized properly but not darkened.  With 'run as admin' (.exe) scripts, the tooltips are not resized (or dark).  All scripts are typically launched from the Windows 'Startup' user folder.   The TrueLaunchBar menu (tlbhost.exe) is not running as admin.

Thx for looking into this.

2024-03-14_08:45:03.png

6 hours ago, Tihiy said:

One of the AutoHotkey compiled (.exe) programs (run as admin) that is not responding to Dark Magic is launched by a PowerShell script.  Would that make a difference

• 2 weeks later...

So I found a nasty Dark Magic edge case when taking ownership of a file. This doesn't happen when Dark Magic is disabled. I've tested this in Directory Opus. When the error is dismissed Directory Opus is left in a completely frozen state and needs to be killed. This also happens with Explorer which also causes a freeze which requires an Explorer restart.

image.thumb.png.3c659dbab5246e812fb7b8adb6203dc9.png

Edited by mackid1993

1 hour ago, Tihiy said:

Can't reproduce, no reason to happen.

Strange, sorry!

Edit: Just disabled dark magic and this doesn't happen anymore. Strange that it occurs when DM is on, must be a conflict with something on my system.

Edited by mackid1993

On 3/29/2024 at 6:13 PM, Tihiy said:

Can't reproduce, no reason to happen.

I confirm issue. Parent dllhost crashes with stack buffer overrun error and explorer window becomes disabled. You need to restart explorer process after that.

Edited by Dart Vanya