A stripped down Windows 10

pcalvert

How these two statements can come together?

First:

"AtlasOS is not affiliated with Microsoft ©"

https://docs.atlasos.net/#what-is-atlas

Second:

"AtlasOS is an "open source" modification of Windows 10, a redesign (!) of the most popular PC operating system..."

https://www.techspot.com/news/97095-check-out-atlasos-redesigned-windows-10-version-gamers.html

Windows, be it modified or not, can't be "open source". Looks like a direct violation. @Tripredacus

And seeing how "good" they are with English, I'd say it's a Russian project, again, so security and safety is in question.

"Atlas is a open source.." LOL.

https://docs.atlasos.net/#what-is-atlas

3 hours ago, pcalvert said:

I haven't tried AtlasOS, but based on reading their installation instructions, it appears that what they are offering is a utility for removing certain "features" from Windows 10 during installation. If my interpretation is correct, this is similar to the process that Windows 10 Decrapifier uses.

No, it's a fully butchered and redesigned OS

It does have its own version numbers.

"The latest release of AtlasOS (0.5.2)" So, it had been released in a ready made form.

They only "want" to provide the script "in the future", bla-bla-bla.

"AtlasOS creators say they want to eventually provide a script to help users build a custom ISO of the OS at no cost."

https://www.techspot.com/news/97095-check-out-atlasos-redesigned-windows-10-version-gamers.html

EDIT: @pcalvert, why won't you tell us who exactly makes that OS, thanks.

From what I see, their website is hosted on Cloudflare.

Edited by D.Draker
link

Atlas isn't an OS and currently doesn't appear to have any warez in it. The way the site talks about ISOs and what-not, it makes it seem like perhaps it used to host or link to an OS ISO before.

While these projects are nice, I am surprised that there still isn't any group of people making Shells for OSes. After all, Explorer is 99% of the problem with Windows 10 (or 8 or 11) and running a custom shell solves all of those issues.

6 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Atlas isn't an OS and currently doesn't appear to have any warez in it. The way the site talks about ISOs and what-not, it makes it seem like perhaps it used to host or link to an OS ISO before.

Their site on cloudfare, no it doesn't. But they do store and share them elsewhere.

This article on reddit says "Atlas OS is a modified Windows ISO" and they have a repo on github. From the comments below, regarding their repo.

"... this repo is violating Microsoft’s licenses on a platform owned by Microsoft and it’ll likely get taken down soon. And other comments raised a great point about security overall"

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivacyGuides/comments/rpt90x/atlas_os_a_modified_windows_iso_is_this_safe_to/

Their wording is very confusing.

The whole stuff (set aside for the moment their naming it an "OS") is simply a set of modifying scripts that you run after having installed a Windows,seemingly not particularly different from other "liting" or "de-bloating" tools.

Their install page refers to the method to download an official .iso (Windows Media Creation Tool) besides a couple other ones that may (or may not) be legal:

https://docs.atlasos.net/getting-started/installation/

as well they state the need to procure (legally) a legitimate Windows key.

IANAL, but it seems to me like there are not any blatant violations of MS licenses.

Whether - given the mess with terminology they managed to create - the tool is reliable is another thing.

Personally I wouldn't let those scripts go near a real install of the OS, but - to be fair - the scripts are published on github so they can be reviewed (should anyone want to):

https://github.com/Atlas-OS/Atlas

they seem to be mostly .cmd (batch) files and .ps1 (Powershell) files.

jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Their wording is very confusing.

Personally I wouldn't let those scripts go near a real install of the OS,

You're absolutely right! And the language on the website looks like it was written by a third-grader, at best.

So what good to expect from the "OS" then, besides typos in their scripts?

The quesion is, whether it needs to be here or not. This doesn't go hand in hand with the good reputation MSFN has.

I just wonder why (all of a sudden) @NotHereToPlayGames, with his "energetic spirit", is so quet!

He is usually very vocal about "thin/thick/fat/greazy" or whatever he calls his "lines of legality" of the innocent extended kernels. 

Honestly, id say you just modify the windows iso yourself with a trusted tool like ntlite, i wouldnt trust some randoms with my security (also removing windows defender isnt a good idea).
If you really care about light installs that dont break randomly, just use linux, manjaro is a good place to start.

They're the same people that made windows 10 Ameliorated. I did try AME version and I must say it's really good. It's very fast and stable. There were only 2 problems. You couldn't create a  user account during installation you have to use a default account called user that doesn't have administrative privilege to install some software. You have to elevate the privileges by using a bootable PE software to manage the account and fix it. The other thing was that if you use Microsoft Office you can't use anything newer than 2007 because there's no KMS to be able to activate it. Other than that it's really good and I have it installed on a laptop. I trust more these individuals than Microsoft. There's no Defender  but you can use any other antivirus you want.  You can check the processes that load at start. There's no virus in those Isos.

Edited by tekkaman

On 5/30/2023 at 9:44 AM, Tripredacus said:

While these projects are nice, I am surprised that there still isn't any group of people making Shells for OSes. After all, Explorer is 99% of the problem with Windows 10 (or 8 or 11) and running a custom shell solves all of those issues.

Do you mean something like this?

15 hours ago, pcalvert said:

Do you mean something like this?

That is not a shell in the way that Explorer is and is not an Explorer replacement. See the instructions on that site about how to use it:

(3) Hide your Explorer desktop icons (i.e. right click on the Explorer desktop -> View -> Deselect "Show desktop icons").
(4) If you so wish, hide your Explorer taskbar (nb. you can always quickly bring it up from hidden when needed by hitting the Win key),
     and maybe also disable "Show taskbar on all displays" (on multi-monitor systems).
(5) Doubleclick on Blackbox.exe in the previously selected folder to start xoblite.

It is using Explorer to run this program.