Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche are getting their own in-car app store — and yes, that includes TikTok

UCyborg

I'm not surprised, The CCP has been collecting biometrics on everyone. 

ObamaCare through Maximus Inc (c) made that a realization in terms of the US population.

Now it's time for Europe. And with the current amount of ignorance, I trust they will succeed.

Also, don't forget about the KGB/Russia owned telegram.

Seems absurd to have all those things on the infotainment. Navigation and music seem reasonable and where the line should be drawn IMO, but social media and video conferencing? Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are already a thing, but that's not good enough it seems.

I've been to a city a time or two recently, saw people (pedestrians) on their phone. They come to the traffic light and tapping on their phones while waiting for the green light. Most of them aren't using navigation, aren't they?

Good luck with that, the VAG group's MIB system already barely works on its own without any 3rd party apps... christ, I wish we could just go back to the good old joystick-controlled infotainment systems. I don't ever want to meet the person who thought manipulating stuff in your car (ESPECIALLY stuff like heating/AC!!!!!) would work well if you were to use a touchscreen...

The whole "bells and whistles" approach to automotive design in my opinion is all just MARKETING.  You "sell" to the Soccer Mom and you can ask a much MUCH higher MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price).

When the SEAT BELT was first introduced, NOBODY BOUGHT THEM, "why would we buy that car, it's not a SAFE CAR if they need to resort to adding something called a 'seat belt'..."

Society no longer thinks that way, if Car A has "20 safety features" and Car B has "22 safety features", they will buy Car B and pay the HIGHER price.

Look into the Peltzman Effect.

The "safer" we make our vehicles, the more RECKLESS our driving habits become.

When vehicles had drum brakes, people would follow at a "safe distance".

Add anti-lock disc brakes and now they TAILGATE.

The RECKLESS driving habit completely OFFSETS the technological advancement of ant-lock disc versus drum.

If you want to make the roads SAFE TO DRIVE, then every steering wheel should be equipped with a ten inch spike pointed directly at the heart of the driver.

How safe would your "driving habits" be if you knew than any wrong move would embed that ten inch spike directly into your chest cavity?

...and that's why I will never, ever buy a 'modern' car.  Cars are driven by drivers, not bells and whistles that break down after the warranty expires. A car with electronic fuel injection, ABS and disc brakes all around is more than enough IMO. Hand cranked windows and sunroof FTW! :D

On 5/24/2023 at 1:23 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

When the SEAT BELT was first introduced, NOBODY BOUGHT THEM, "why would we buy that car, it's not a SAFE CAR if they need to resort to adding something called a 'seat belt'..."

Fast-forward to today and newly manufactured cars must be equipped with lane-keeping assistance, among other things, at least in EU (https://www.theweek.co.uk/93687/eu-lists-11-car-safety-systems-to-become-mandatory-from-2021). I can stay in the lane on my own without a computer, thank you very much.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:23 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

If you want to make the roads SAFE TO DRIVE, then every steering wheel should be equipped with a ten inch spike pointed directly at the heart of the driver.

Ha, brutal!

Edited by UCyborg