Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

AstroSkipper, greetings! It's so great to see you're still here and provide us with top-notch software only! I'm actually amazed and intrigued at the same time! They still have such a nice all-in-one security European software package for XP, and I didn't know about it! What would I do without you! I'll intsall it on my mother's laptop as soon as I visit her.  The name Panda was confusing though)))) I thought it was Chinese, now I see it's European, and I'll not hesitate to use it!

@Dixel! Hello and welcome to my thread! welcome-1.gif
Glad to hear you like my thread! I have been using Panda Free Antivirus for several months. I am generally amazed at how little resources it uses and how it protects my Windows XP computer completely satisfactorily. I hope you will find what you are looking for here. My list of all presented security programmes in the second post of this thread is just under construction, but will be maintained by me and constantly expanded, if my real life allows it and I have not to waste my time commenting on programmes that have long since been sufficiently discussed and put ad acta. smilie_denk_24.gif

Greetings from Germany to The Netherlands, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

I'm from The Netherlands, I don't know anyone, never saw anyone who uses Kaspersky. And I have quite a lot of friends due to my work. As usual, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention!

I totally agree. :yes: Same here in Germany! I do not know anyone either who is interested in using Kaspersky or do trust their products. :no: Thanks for your confirmation! :)

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:
10 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Also somewhat “Made in China” :blink:

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/glarysoft

it's made in china just like the last working and stable web browsers for XP.

google, intel, nvidia, M$... and many others who don't support XP anymore are not chinese companies AFAIK

offtopic.gif

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

maxresdefault.jpg

offtopic.gif

Read this quotation from my introductory post containing the conditions for posting here in this thread:

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

But one thing must be very clear, everything should relate to this topic. Just for clarification, insulting, provocative or completely off-topic posts (especially about operating systems other than Windows XP) will not be tolerated. snegatif.gif That means, please stay on topic!

No more off-topic posts in my thread! This is my last warning. :angry:

AstroSkipper

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

I don't know anyone, never saw anyone who uses Kaspersky. And I have quite a lot of friends due to my work.

@Dixel Has returned to MSFN!? :cool: You just missed your friend D.Draker: He posted as recently as Saturday but appears to be taking some time off this week. I’m sure you will get along great with Cocodile (yet another Vista x64-using Kaspersky-hater who joined while you were away).

I just reviewed a March 1, 2022 post of yours in which you made the very interesting statement, “look at Prague, it’s a well known KGB nest!” Of course Avast (which I used and recommended for years) is based in Prague, which is now one of the dual headquarters of Gen Digital (the other being in Tempe, Arizona, USA where the Norton division is based). I can’t help wondering if this KGB presence in Prague (perhaps known to everyone except me) is the real reason why legacy Windows users seem to be shunning Avast/AVG products these days? 🤔

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have been using Panda Free Antivirus for several months. I am generally amazed at how little resources it uses...

You mean Panda Free and Malwarebytes Premium are both installed? I suppose that could work with one real-time protection disabled. I once got a false positive from Panda Free while scanning with something else, but I could’ve easily forgiven that minor conflict if Panda hadn’t bricked my OS on March 11, 2015. :angry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31851125

I have received a notification but as mentioned this morning I don't read posts with multiple quotations....if you want to call me out make up a clear and readable post. :whistle:

On 6/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, Cocodile said:

Panda Dome also has a Free Edition, and it can be transformed to a portable version, which Avast and Kaspersky does not have, so no need to "debate" over anything.

Here, see the fact checked article:

https://cybernews.com/best-antivirus-software/panda-antivirus-review/

WOW! A portable AV! That's definitely something unique. The last time I used a portable AV, it was ClamWin.

Panda Dome looks more and more tempting, I will probably make a small gift to my mommy and purchase her a paid version of Panda Dome for WinXP laptop!

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Panda Free (or not Free) and Malwarebytes Premium can both be installed, since they don't need a lot of RAM, so no problem with that.

Right! Malwarebytes is compatible with many other AV programmes, but not with Avast. If you have problems, then Malwarebytes Premium's real-time protection can be disabled at any time. In this case, you probably won't observe any further incompatibilities when using both in the same system partition. In my case, I do not have both installed in the same Windows XP partition. However, I have more than one Windows XP partition managed by Boot-US. So I am able to use different antimalware programmes on my old computer. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Right! Malwarebytes is compatible with many other AV programmes, but not with Avast.

Well, since the other member above kindly warned us - Avast might also be compromised by foreign intelligence agencies, I shan't use it anyways! I tend to listen to what the older folks have to say.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Panda Free (or not Free) and Malwarebytes Premium can both be installed, since they don't need a lot of RAM, so no problem with that.

If either of those works on your Vista x64 with extended kernel, then by all means post something about it in the Vista Forum! Those poor extended kernel users still haven’t reported any antivirus that works except Kaspersky after all this time. :( (Or perhaps you have given up on the extended kernel, I wouldn’t know.)

On 6/27/2023 at 12:29 PM, Milkinis said:

Dr. Web is also a russian made browser. 

https://news.drweb.com/show/?i=14712&lng=en

Dr. Web made an antivirus, too. So what you wtote is not completely off-topic, and thank you for reminding us it's Russian. 

"How do I get rid of Dr Web", a very helpful video with instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVutoUWSnuk