Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Ok! On their homepage, they indeed listed Windows XP as a supported platform for Anti Tracks. I will check whether the last version 9.0.1 is still XP- compatible, too. :)

I remember that programme had a good VPN service with the first "Elite server" location being in Texas.

Just like Panda Dome, a very good, elite VPN included.

25 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

I remember that programme had a good VPN service with the first "Elite server" location being in Texas.

Just like Panda Dome, a very good, elite VPN included.

The Giant Matrix home page disappeared in 2015. Their last version seems to be 9.0.1 from 2013. I assume that Anti Tracks' VPN feature doesn't work anymore in these days. For me, no problem, I use paid VPN services. In any case, I will check this programme more deeply when I have more time. :yes: First, I will add it to my internal list. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

First, I will add it to my internal list. :)

Oh that's very nice of you! One thing to add, I like: it has a very useful feature to securely erase files forever, with several passes! It's even able to retrieve hidden data, for example, malware files created by malicious entities, like Kaspersky.

I assume that Anti Tracks' VPN feature doesn't work anymore in these days.

Possibly a good idea to check this feature here, it even shows the famous 67.xxxxx IP from Texas on the picture!

iSurfer Shield

"Protects against identity theft, hacking, and spamming threats"

https://download.cnet.com/iSurfer-Shield/3000-2144_4-75077406.html

why is this one above recommending others old crap that he won't be testing himself ? 

last time I shared something on the other thread it was an india based AV but I had checkied it out myself before posting so I know first hand how it works out.

-Can delete important system files

-Can be hard to uninstall

-Slow in working

-May disrupt your restore points

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Malwarebytes doesn't seem to be a virus scanner and it's terribly slow in comparison to AVAST.

last time I performed a full scan over XP partition it took it 6 hours to end up finding nothing

first off I do not click on cumbersome windows (admin fault) that take me to elsewhere so I mostly tap on real links. 

second, I don't care much about an overview that sings xxxxx AV praises....

last, I prefer to review the AV myself with real trojans or virus hidden inside a folder and Malwarebytes didn't do well in my case

for quick random scans HitmanPro, for full and efficient scans Avast...

Glary Utilities is somewhat useful when one has to hunt down some unexpected processes that launch on startup

1 hour ago, Milkinis said:

first off I do not click on cumbersome windows (admin fault) that take me to elsewhere so I mostly tap on real links. 

The OP is fond of expansive self-quotations that increase page count as rapidly as possible, and of course he also gains reputation with every self-quotation.

I prefer to review the AV myself with real trojans or virus hidden inside a folder and Malwarebytes didn't do well in my case

Malwarebytes is actually much better than SUPERAntiSpyware, so don’t waste your time with that crap!

Glary Utilities is somewhat useful...

Also somewhat “Made in China” :blink:

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/glarysoft

On 6/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Subject: Panda Free Antivirus

Some months ago, I had carried out my own tests with the result that Panda Free Antivirus detected and deleted my test malware. In a real Windows system, not in a VM. So, I can confirm that Panda Free Antivirus is fully working:thumbup It is one of the rare antimalware ptogrammes which are still up-to-date and still receive programme updates under Windows XP. However, we all know the real security problem is very often in front of the computer. panne1.gif In such cases, a good programme like Panda Free Antivirus can't help anymore, either. :no:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

AstroSkipper, greetings! It's so great to see you're still here and provide us with top-notch software only! I'm actually amazed and intrigued at the same time! They still have such a nice all-in-one security European software package for XP, and I didn't know about it! What would I do without you! I'll intsall it on my mother's laptop as soon as I visit her.  The name Panda was confusing though)))) I thought it was Chinese, now I see it's European, and I'll not hesitate to use it!

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

You're welcome! And thank you for your contribution here! I do appreciate every new recommendation. :yes: Here is the last working link of Anti Tracks' homepage: 
https://web.archive.org/web/20150311172759/http://www.giantmatrix.com/
I will check it. I never used it before and I don't know whether it is XP-compatible or not. We will see. But thanks again!

Cheers, AstroSkipper ecrire-ordi.gif

It brings a lot of good memories! I look forward to see it still kicks!

Cheers, Dixel. 

21 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

MSFN is of course internationally frequented, but it is a forum that is localised in France and therefore in Europe. France, Germany, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Poland, Lithuania and many other European countries warn against the use of Kaspersky due to significant security concerns. Even more harshly, the USA classifies the products of Kaspersky, considers them dangerous and blacklists Kaspersky antivirus as a risk to national security.

I'm from The Netherlands, I don't know anyone, never saw anyone who uses Kaspersky. And I have quite a lot of friends due to my work. As usual, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention!

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

The OP is fond of expansive self-quotations that increase page count as rapidly as possible, and of course he also gains reputation with every self-quotation.

I hate this kind of expansive links as they look like intrusive advertising in the middle of text.

I also dislike other members who reply to and quote different users in the same post which make it totally difficult to grasp and boring so I have no other choice but skip and scroll down.

self-quotation is not a bad thing so long as you stay on topic and I don't mind if self-quoting or gaining a little more reputation in a dying out community makes him sleep any better :lol: