Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

I have a question. Can we list software that may be discontinued but still work ? I was thinking like for example Outpost Firewall free. I think it's still better than XP's own firewall plus many free antiviruses don't include a firewall anyway.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I will only include programs in this list that receive updates in some form, be it program updates, definition updates or database updates. With the exception, of course, that there are also programs that do not necessarily need such updates.

15 hours ago, tekkaman said:

I have a question. Can we list software that may be discontinued but still work ? I was thinking like for example Outpost Firewall free. I think it's still better than XP's own firewall plus many free antiviruses don't include a firewall anyway.

In my first post, I already explained that. The last working firewalls will be listed here, of course. A firewall does not need necessarily updates if it still works properly in Windows XP. I know Outpost Firewall very well, I used it long time ago. Therefore, it is on my internal list of security programs. However, I must mention here that I have already presented the by far best firewall for Windows XP, and, compared to all the usual suspects, this is definitely Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus XP from Sphinx:

Cheers, AstroSkipper firewall.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I'm not a security expert but wasn't XP firewall not very good ? I mean if you use sphinx you can get prompts for applications yes. But is it easily bypassed since it's just using XP firewall ?

4 hours ago, tekkaman said:

I'm not a security expert but wasn't XP firewall not very good ? I mean if you use sphinx you can get prompts for applications yes. But is it easily bypassed since it's just using XP firewall ?

No, you are wrong, unfortunately. You can leave the native Windows XP firewall enabled, but Windows 10 Firewall Control (Plus) XP is a standalone. All data traffic, both incoming and outgoing, is perfectly controlled. You can define your own zones and rules. Many zones and rules are already pre-defined. You have full control at all times and can see exactly which program wants to connect, only if you allow it, of course, and again, in both directions:thumbup I use it for many years, and Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus XP never failed. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I see, I didn't know it was stand alone. I've seen before some other products that just depend on the Windows firewall and just offer more easier to find interface for it. So you mention the free and paid versions. You mean it can still be bought  ?

On 4/28/2023 at 8:39 PM, AstroSkipper said:

A key for Windows 10 Firewall Control XP Plus has to be requested by contacting the support because it is no longer offered officially. I mention this due to the circumstance that a regular key doesn't work with the XP version.

If you read my article about Windows 10 Firewall Control XP carefully, you'll notice that I've already mentioned it. FYI, the main difference between free and paid version is all Windows system services and programs (System Core Applications) can be controlled only in the Plus (paid) version. All other programs and application services can be managed in the free version, of course. In my article, you will find a picture with a comparison of all editions under the section Features.

In my Windows XP system, I changed a lot the last years but one thing will stay forever: Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus XP. I tried many different firewalls but this one is definitely unbeatable. I like to have full control about all network and internet connections in both directions, incoming and outgoing. Even in terms of the system core applications. All new applications the firwall is not aware of will be blocked by default (can also be set differently).

Cheers, AstroSkipper firewall.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

29 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not very good marketing strategy, if you ask me.  Why would a software developer name a program intended for use on XP and start the name off with "Windows 10" ??? ??? ???

They had different names in the past, for example Vista Firewall Control  and Windows 7 Firewall Control. The first part Windows 10 shows the OS which was current when releasing the firewall, and the suffix XP that this version is still XP-compatible. New Windows OS, new name (but they are still compatible to older OSs). For me, it doesn't matter. smilie_denk_24.gif Important is the product and not its name, though. And the last version for Windows XP is simply great. upp.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

For me, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter to me either.

I'm just citing that this is bad marketing.

HOW did you ever FIND this firewall?  You didn't find it from a search engine with a search query like "windows xp firewall", did you?

That's how I find most of my can't-live-without software programs.

But agreed, it doesn't matter.

Their market will probably TRIPLE now that users can find out about it here at MSFN versus a search engine query.  :cool:

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

HOW did you ever FIND this firewall?  You didn't find it from a search engine with a search query like "windows xp firewall", did you?

It was so many years ago that I almost can't remember. I was looking for a decent firewall that met my needs and really monitored all connections. I had tried many, and the firewall from Sphinx convinced me completely.

Edited by AstroSkipper

Ultra Virus Killer

Ultra Virus Killer is a comprehensive tool for removing viruses and adware. It also offers some functions to maintain your system and protect it from dangerous changes in the registry. Most UVK features are free, but some require a user license. They have recently stopped supporting Windows XP. The last XP-compatible version is 11.9.8.0. Ultra Virus Killer is available in an installable and a portable version.

Main features:

• System Booster
  • Smart Uninstaller
  • Quick User Manager
  • System Immunization
  • System Repair
  • Threat Scanner

All features are explained on UVK's homepage in detail.

Homepage: https://www.carifred.com/uvk/

Version number: 11.9.8.0

Date of release: 29.03.2023

Release notes:

v11.9.8 Release date: March 29 2023

- Fixed the bug where UVK was hunging when getting URL reports from VirusTotal.

- Updated the threat scanner with version 10.7.6.

- Definition updates, bug fixes and code improvements.

System requirements:

Windows XP 32/64 bit
Windows Vista 32/64 bit
Windows 7 32/64 bit
Windows 8 32/64 bit
Windows 10 32/64 bit
Windows 11

Review: https://www.techfortechs.co.uk/uvk10

Download links:

https://www.carifred.com/uvk/UVKInstaller_xp.exe

https://www.carifred.com/uvk/UVKPortable_xp.exe

https://www.carifred.com/uvk/UVK_xp.zip

Screenshots:

welcome_screen.jpg

threat-scanner.jpg

system_repair.jpg

Video tutorial (by the author):

I already presented here Ultra Adware Killer. This tool is part of Ultra Virus Killer. All in all, I think Ultra Virus Killer is an interesting collection of tools and can be helpful if problems occur in Windows XP.

Greetings, AstroSkipper smilie-pc-047.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 5/21/2023 at 5:34 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

Note about Windows XP / Vista at the following link states, “CIS 12.0.0.6882 and above does not support Windows XP or Vista

In my opinion, Comodo Antivirus is not really an option for Windows XP. If a company places a web page about an antivirus program for Windows XP on the net, but then provides a download link for a version that is no longer XP-compatible, then that It is a sign of inadequacy. No_way.png Comodo stands for disinformation, their websites are badly maintained and rather misleading.  Actually, Comodo should rather be avoided. :yes:
Here is this ominous "Windows XP" website: https://antivirus.comodo.com/security/windows-xp-free-antivirus.php. The download link on this page https://antivirus.comodo.com/download/thank-you.php?prod=cloud-antivirus&from=cav_installer&track=16703&af=16703 is redirected to this link https://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/8060/standalone/cispro_installer.exe, which ultimately downloads the offline installer of the non XP-compatible version 12.2.4.8032:realmad: As a Windows XP user, you feel totally fooled. :thumbdown And in the past, the Comodo websites were no better. Not to mention the program itself. Nevertheless, I will also deal with Comodo Antivirus here in due course, but more for the sake of completeness. albert.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction