Microsoft will no longer offer major Windows 10 updates

DanR20

And they encourage us to move to Windows 11.......for God's sake why? It is as bad as listening to the drivel  coming out of the mouths of people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert...only the id*** that voted them into office are likely to do that....and I say id***....now that is a poop moment!

bookie32

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/28/2023 at 1:13 AM, DanR20 said:

Note to Microsoft: thank-you. Should have done this from the very beginning.

I don‘t agree with this.

I am very glad that Windows 10 didn‘t stay in that 2015 aesthetic till now and that they kept it‘s developed active. If you compare 1507 to 2004, you will notice how much things evolved and got better. I‘m also a big fan of the newer Start Menu and the Fluent Design System

3 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I don‘t agree with this.

I am very glad that Windows 10 didn‘t stay in that 2015 aesthetic till now and that they kept it‘s developed active. If you compare 1507 to 2004, you will notice how much things evolved and got better. I‘m also a big fan of the newer Start Menu and the Fluent Design System

Even if you agree with some of the feature upgrades did it need to be twice a year? Literally with each one the last three years Taskbar Tweaker would break. It's a wonderful program that undoes Microsoft's forced taskbar grouping nonsense. Fortunately, the developer kept up with it . 

My taskbar only "groups" if the taskbar is completely full.

My taskbar(s) are never completely full because the taskbar icons only show up on their active monitor.

I can have close to FOURTY programs all running at the same time (and often do) and my taskbars still don't run out of room.

3 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My taskbar only "groups" if the taskbar is completely full.

My taskbar(s) are never completely full because the taskbar icons only show up on their active monitor.

I can have close to FOURTY programs all running at the same time (and often do) and my taskbars still don't run out of room.

Is this Windows 10? If you're using XP it was easy to keep programs separated but from Windows 7 on the programs were grouped so if you opened two instances of the same program (like Winamp) you couldn't separate them. Taskbar Tweaker restores that ability. But it has other features as well like restoring the right click menu to minimize. I haven't even got to the nightmare of Win11 yet and thankfully won't have to for a while. 

Both XP and 10 (company does not allow 11).

The taskbar icon only shows on the monitor that the program is on.

Unless you are talking about two of the same programs running on the same monitor, then those can't be separated and diplay next to each other even if not opened in that order.

3 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Unless you are talking about two of the same programs running on the same monitor, then those can't be separated and diplay next to each other even if not opened in that order.

Correct and that's why I dreaded upgrading because it took a third party program to restore usability that Microsoft would always break. There are a few others as well.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:35 PM, bookie32 said:

And they encourage us to move to Windows 11.......for God's sake why? It is as bad as listening to the drivel  coming out of the mouths of people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert...only the id*** that voted them into office are likely to do that....and I say id***....now that is a poop moment!

bookie32

Sorry....if I offended anyone.....got enough problems with Swedish politics......b***** disaster!

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10 LTSC exists, eol in 2027
Windows Server 2016 exists, eol is in 2027
Windows Server 2019 exists, eol 2029
Windows Server 2022 exists, eol 2031
and, there is definitely going to be some sort of paid "extended support", which is probably going to be like windows 7's extended support (paid)

I know that this sudden "no more feature updates" thing was unexpected, however if you think about it for one minute, windows 10 was the most supported os by microsoft. Sure it had its issues and flaws but my point is it had feature updates for almost 8 years, similar to xp (sp3 was released in september of 2008, 22H2 was released in october 2022). After all Windows 11 is just windows 10 with a fancier shell, so programs are most likely gonna support it for a while even after 2025, due to other editions of windows 10 that will still be supported by microsoft. And lets be real here, this "no more feature updates" thing that microsoft does was LOOONG overdue, for example windows vista, 7 and 8.1 got feature updates for 5 years, no more than that.

I'm not defending windows 11 and i still hate it because everything breaks, but i just wanted to say that feature updates for windows 10 werent supposed to be a thing after 2020 (but ms was still saying "windows 10 is the final os ever!!" back then). I still expect programs to support windows 10 for 4 - 6 more years after 2025

Edited by Aiek

22 hours ago, Aiek said:

I'm not defending windows 11 and i still hate it because everything breaks,

I'm not sure exactly what do you mean by "everything breaks", but all what I know is that in Windows 11, taskbar functionality is limited (no taskbar resizing, moving it to sides like to the top, left or right, no taskbar buttons grouping, no small icons), and some settings from Control Panel have moved to Settings application, causing a mixture of Control Panel and Settings together. That's all what I hate about Windows 11 honestly.

Edited by mina7601

On 6/1/2023 at 8:17 PM, mina7601 said:

I'm not sure exactly what do you mean by "everything breaks", but all what I know is that in Windows 11, taskbar functionality is limited (no taskbar resizing, moving it to sides like to the top, left or right, no taskbar buttons grouping, no small icons), and some settings from Control Panel have moved to Settings application, causing a mixture of Control Panel and Settings together. That's all what I hate about Windows 11.

Back when i used to main it i used to have a lot of issues with it, such as :
- EasyBCD would always break after a while, which is a huge problem for me because i always install other windows oses
- Certain functionality would break, paint always broke, net framework would not work correctly some times, the taskbar was a mess and would sometimes stop working, the explorer would randomly freeze at startup, and so on
It was simply too much of a mess to use it as my main operating system, i would unironically use windows longhorn instead of 11 because at the very least it doesnt break every second. And I do kinda like the os, it isnt that terrible, the ui looks nice, i hate the taskbar but other than that i dont really hate the way it looks, but the problem with windows 11 is that its literally windows 10 just with a fancy shell. I really wanted just to stay on the latest oses back when i used to main windows 11 but i really couldnt, i tried the crappy official versions, custom isos, and so on, one time instead of maining windows 11 i just decided to main windows vista because it was much better both in performance and at basicly everything else i used it for, features or apps i used wouldnt break randomly like with 11.
In general, windows 11 is just windows 10 but its shell is crappier but it looks "better"

Edited by Aiek