Who here has a Youtube-DL compile for WinXP?

j7n

Some months I go I stumbled upon a link to compiles of YouTube-DL and Yt-dlp working on WinXP in someone's signature. But I cannot find it again. It doesn't seem to be possible to search for the contents of signatures. Who has them?

Do you know why YT-DLP does not run on Windows NT6, but runs on WinXP? YouTube-DL works on both and is better to use in dual-boot.

The procedure entry point GetCPFileNameFromRegistry could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.

1 hour ago, j7n said:

Do you know why YT-DLP does not run on Windows NT6, but runs on WinXP? YouTube-DL works on both and is better to use in dual-boot.

The procedure entry point GetCPFileNameFromRegistry could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.

No idea.

I'm not a programmer.

But there is good news. :)

The last couple of weeks I'm testing another build of yt-dlp, compiled with a modified Python 3.8.

Just tested on Windows 7 and no error:

[debug] Command-line config: ['-vU']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, pref cp1252, out cp1252 (No VT), error cp1252 (No VT), screen cp1252 (No VT)
[debug] yt-dlp version 2023.02.01 [8b008d625] (win_x86_exe)
[debug] Python 3.8.13+ (CPython AMD64 32bit) - Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 (OpenSSL 3.1.0-dev )
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-109674-gc0bc804e5-2023-01-26-nonfree (fdk,setts), ffprobe N-109674-gc0bc804e5-2023-01-26-nonfree
[debug] Optional libraries: Cryptodome-3.16.0, brotli-1.0.9, certifi-2022.12.07, mutagen-1.46.0, sqlite3-2.6.0
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[debug] Loaded 1761 extractors
[debug] Fetching release info: https://api.github.com/repos/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/latest
Latest version: 2023.01.06, Current version: 2023.02.01
yt-dlp is up to date (2023.02.01)

Worked on Vista and Windows 10 as well.

Could you please test?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/0b0r4vbdu70njyz/yt-dlp.7z.

It's also listed on my yt-dlp GitHub fork page under Releases.

(click on "Show all 19 assets")

When using the New Moon browser, you need the Palefill extension to navigate GitHub.

Edited by nicolaasjan

The linked version on dropboxusercontent works for me and is fast again. I have YouTube-DL integrated into New Moon, which I use from both WinXP and Win2008, so I like that it works in both.

17 hours ago, j7n said:

Do you know why YT-DLP does not run on Windows NT6, but runs on WinXP?

17 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

No idea.

I'm not a programmer.

... Well, those builds use a CPython 3.7.1 version "hacked"/patched to work specifically on WinXP, ONLY (whereas official CPython 3.7.x, by the PSF, requires WinVista as minimum [client] WinOS) ...

The PSF EoS'ed WinXP SP3 with the CPython 3.4.x branch; this patched py3.7 compilation borrows modified "system-like" files from either Wine/ReactOS/OneCore API (not sure exactly which  :dubbio:) projects (files bcrypt.dll, kernelXP.dll, ntext.dll, psapi.dll, ws2_xx.dll), which specifically target NT 5.1 and aim to backport missing functions from NT 6.0 (where py3.7 runs natively :P) .

It's the same (type of) CPython 3.7.x "hack" that is incorporated into the latest ProxHTTPSProxy versions (maintained/released by MSFN member AstroSkipper); this nice project runs successfully ONLY under Windows XP; for Vista [and higher, though Win7 updated to EoS shouldn't need ProxHTTPSProxy ;) ], the embedded Python has to, somehow, be switched to one of the official py3.7 releases...

Edited by VistaLover

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Well, those builds use a CPython 3.7.1 version "hacked"/patched to work specifically on WinXP, ONLY (whereas official CPython 3.7.x, by the PSF, requires WinVista as minimum [client] WinOS) ...

The PSF EoS'ed WinXP SP3 with the CPython 3.4.x branch; this patched py3.7 compilation borrows modified "system-like" files from either Wine/ReactOS/OneCore API (not sure exactly which  :dubbio:) projects (files bcrypt.dll, kernelXP.dll, ntext.dll, psapi.dll, ws2_xx.dll), which specifically target NT 5.1 and aim to backport missing functions from NT 6.0 (where py3.7 runs natively :P) .

So, my question is now: is this Python 3.8 version I use now "hacked" together in a different way?

(works on XP ---> Windows 10)

I used the one from Zorba the Geek, linked in his post here, because:

The archive of Python binaries provided by cmalex is a mess, so I selected and reassembled the relevant files to make a standard Python distribution which you can obtain here.

Compilation of yt-dlp with it wasn't really straightforward. See my post here.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:11 PM, VistaLover said:

It's the same (type of) CPython 3.7.x "hack" that is incorporated into the latest ProxHTTPSProxy versions (maintained/released by MSFN member AstroSkipper); this nice project runs successfully ONLY under Windows XP; for Vista [and higher, though Win7 updated to EoS shouldn't need ProxHTTPSProxy ;) ], the embedded Python has to, somehow, be switched to one of the official py3.7 releases...

Hello @VistaLover! Does that mean that @cmalex's TLS 1.3 proxy ProxyMII https://www.mediafire.com/file/pdy1cd8insmdq7g/ProxyMII_220717.7z/file (not my package ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3) is not running under Windows Vista? Did you test ProxyMII in this OS in the past? :dubbio: I can't do that because I don't use this operating system. BTW, the handling of this proxy is fully documented in my main article ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

in the section 8:)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 2 weeks later...