Artifacts on desktop with a 2080 Ti and Windows 8.1

K4sum1

I recently redid my Windows 8.1 install, and I notice artifacts, like bars on the screen, things looking corrupted or off for a split second before going back to normal. It's not a GPU issue as this doesn't happen when using Windows 7, and the GPU can be overclocked quite far before stability is a problem. I wonder if it could be caused by Aero Glass as I could see that causing issues like this, but I'm not sure. I'll try different drivers and a different version of Aero Glass soon.

Edit: Tried 441.66 and 474.06, and they both have this issue, going to try 431.36 next.

Edited by K4sum1

I tried 431.36, and right as I was gonna make a post about it not having the issue, it just happened. I guess it happens less often with 431.36.

Might try a older version of Aero Glass if I can be bothered.

I remember this being discussed in the past and author of Aero Glass fixing it some time after I pointed out how severe the artifacts came across Remote Desktop session. That was already in Win10 era when no more development was done for Win8.1.

Another forum member said he was not getting any artifacts in AG version 1.4.5, but I think it was a coincidence due to other factors, not that that version did it right.

15 hours ago, K4sum1 said:

I recently redid my Windows 8.1 install, and I notice artifacts, like bars on the screen, things looking corrupted or off for a split second before going back to normal. It's not a GPU issue as this doesn't happen when using Windows 7, and the GPU can be overclocked quite far before stability is a problem. I wonder if it could be caused by Aero Glass as I could see that causing issues like this, but I'm not sure. I'll try different drivers and a different version of Aero Glass soon.

Edit: Tried 441.66 and 474.06, and they both have this issue, going to try 431.36 next.

Seeing you're the one with a decent videocard, would it be polite to go slightly off-topic and ask what games could you suggest ? 

Something like Assassins Origins or RDR 2. Thnx.

3 hours ago, K4sum1 said:

Do you mean like to play or to benchmark?

Gaming. I have a very old, 7 years old card from 2016. Titan XP.  I used this tutorial and successfully updated the drivers. Thnx to @D.Draker.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184056-breakthrough-p2-new-pascal-special-microsoft-nvidia-driver-port-for-vista-x64/

I can also multi boot to win 8.0.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, K4sum1 said:

I could try some modern games on Vista to see what happens. I know RDR2 doesn't work, unless the extended kernel got a big GDI update at some point.

On topic, I tried to replicate your pixelated situation, can't reproduce with win 8 and Titan XP.

Edited by Cocodile
removed off topic content.

Would be interesting to see Dying Light 2 performance on your card.

I could swap in a 1080 and see what that does, although it would be a bit before I get bothered enough to do it.