ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2022 rebuild 3

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

PS: With "period correct hardware" I mean such hardware which existed or was sold when Windows XP was released, and logically not years after. idee.gif

Can I please disagree with you this one time a bit ? I think the hardware was made with XP in mind up to 2006, simply no other Windows versions existed and the PCs were sold with XP stickers on it up to 2006. Also, if you remember, there were no Vista drivers at all - for many devices even in 2007/08.

So smth like core duo x6800 is somewhat right for this browser and XP.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/27258/intel-core2-extreme-processor-x6800-4m-cache-2-93-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb/reviews.html

Edited by D.Draker
link added

On 12/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, taos said:

Comments containing racism / ethnic phobias /  & geopolitical diarhea have poisoned this thread.

This is an important thread that needs aggressive moderation in order to keep close to its stated purpose.

Absolutely baseless accusations, off-topic idiocracy. An attempt to start flames.

56 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Can I please disagree with you this one time a bit ? I think the hardware was made with XP in mind up to 2006, simply no other Windows versions existed and the PCs were sold with XP stickers on it up to 2006. Also, if you remember, there were no Vista drivers at all - for many devices even in 2007/08.

So smth like core duo x6800 is somewhat right for this browser and XP.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/27258/intel-core2-extreme-processor-x6800-4m-cache-2-93-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb/reviews.html

Of course, you can disagree. Fortunately, we live in democracies. Period correct hardware can be defined in different ways. But I defined it as hardware which existed or was sold when Windows XP was released. Only this hardware has probably such resource problems. And only their users will observe all that I have found in my system.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

When it comes to XP, there is definitely no "one size fits all".

I've been running WiseVector StopX just to see what all the fuss is about.  (I still prefer Comodo Personal Firewall 2.4.18.184.)

My "work horse" is XP x64 with 16 GB RAM - not "period correct" but I can not run WiseVector StopX on my true-period-correct XP x86 with 2 GB RAM - I can't run ANY anti-virus "bottleneck" on it because EVERYTHING crashes when I do.

My laptops now run Win 10 but all of my desktop PCs run XP.

WiseVector StopX crashes St52 and NM28!  And yes, it also crashes 360Chrome v13.5.  But never any BSODs here, just application crashes.

I have to create "rules" in order for St52 and NM28 to not crash.  I did not go as far as to seeing what "rules" need created to prevent 360Chrome v13.5 from crashing.

I guess the main thing there is that "rules" were required for St52 and NM28 - so it's no surprise that a "rule" would be required for 360Chrome v13.5 also.

I personally dislike anti-virus "bottlenecks", so I did not investigate further as to what "rule(s)" would be required for 360Chrome v13.5 (that, and I'm convinced "everyone's mind is already made up" anyway).

On XP, it was my water bill website that was the first I could no longer access using any roytam1 release!  360Chrome v13 (then v13.5) was the ONLY browser I could use to pay my water bill.

As time went on (close to TWO YEARS), roytam1 releases FINALLY started working for my water bill.

BUT none of the roytam1 releases work for my savings account now despite they used to work two years ago.  360Chrome v13 and v13.5 do work for my savings account.

But we also have "chromefill" and "polyfill" extensions that did not exist two years ago, so MAYBE my water bill and savings accounts will now work on "less hungry" browsers.

Maybe in another TWO YEARS, the roytam1 releases will finally work for my savings account.  But until then, I kind of have to use 360Chrome.

I cannot (yet) bring myself to accessing my savings account on Win10, lol.  So XP remains my true "get things done" OS.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

When it comes to XP, there is definitely no "one size fits all".

I've been running WiseVector StopX just to see what all the fuss is about.  (I still prefer Comodo Personal Firewall 2.4.18.184.)

My "work horse" is XP x64 with 16 GB RAM - not "period correct" but I can not run WiseVector StopX on my true-period-correct XP x86 with 2 GB RAM - I can't run ANY anti-virus "bottleneck" on it because EVERYTHING crashes when I do.

Sorry to say this, absolutely useless test ! Why ? Please re-read our replies again and 

you will see : you need an external "cold" storage connected and it must be in sleep mode (HDD in full halt mode)

in order to trigger the spinning and then BSOD (for me no BSOD, but only scanning/spinning).

But I'm not on the "right XP hardware". 

EDIT : Also I don't have any AV installed. 

Edited by D.Draker

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Period correct hardware can be defined in different ways.

Okay, if I see a label on a Siemens PCthat says "Designed for XP pro", what then ? Is it correct ? Thanks.

P..S.

I recently got a very tempting suggestion (offer) for a new untouched Siemens + 20 inch Siemens monitor for 160 Euros.

Should I buy it ? What do you think ?

All is new and in original boxes. Perhaps I'll try the browser on it then ?

I am aware.  Mine is a Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device 2.7 TB.

Sorry , you didn't say it . Mine is WD EasyStorage 4TB, el-cheapo looking crappy plastic box with holes.

Bought from the States (ebay) . Very American design, lol.

Same here.  Cheap plastic box.  But it sits on the floor behind the tower and never moves, so I didn't really need anything "rugged".

My Seagate Expansion in sleep mode has zero effect on my 360Chrome launch/startup.

I do use the below, I did not test without these in place.

--disable-background-networking --kiosk-printing --disable-print-preview

Reminder that very early in the beta testing stages, I added these not because of external storage in sleep mode but rather because 360Chrome (and Official Chrome/Chromium!) kept effecting my wireless printer's IP address because 360Chrome (and Official Chrome/Chromium!) would "see" the IP Address for 1 of 2 *ROKU DEVICES* and would try to link a "print-preview" API with my *ROKU*.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

--disable-background-networking

--kiosk-printing

--disable-print-preview

The 1st one , I of course have it .

The 2nd one, no. (what is does?)

The 3rd one, no, but I'll try .

Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device 2.7 TB

Bloody thieves ! You right, mine is only 3.6 , despite the 4Tb shown on the box !

So yours seagate don't spin up when you start the browser ?

Right, mine probably said 3 TB on the box but I don't have the box anymore.

And nope, my Seagate in sleep mode does not spin up when starting 360Chrome.

My Seagate is just over ten years old.  It is capable of USB 3.0 but I only use it on a 2.0 port.  Though I doubt that 3.0 versus 2.0 is at play here, unsure.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Okay, if I see a label on a Siemens PCthat says "Designed for XP pro", what then ? Is it correct ? Thanks.

Any hardware with such a designation is fully compatible with Windows XP, and there are working drivers available for it. What I mean, however, are computers or hardware from 2001 and earlier. That is what I mean by "period correct hardware". On such computers or similar, one can observe such resource problems I have when starting 360Chrome v13.5 build 2022. And only on such ones, more recent OSs won't work. Computers produced in 2002 and later are already much more powerful, i.e., equipped with newer processors and much more RAM.

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Any hardware with such a designation is fully compatible with Windows XP, and there are working drivers available for it. What I mean, however, are computers or hardware from 2001 and earlier. That is what I mean by "period correct hardware". On such computers or similar, one can observe such resource problems I have when starting 360Chrome v13.5 build 2022. And only on such ones, more recent OSs won't work. Computers produced in 2002 and later are already much more powerful, i.e., equipped with newer processors and much more RAM.

Very strict, I'd say , but yeah, I agree in general. So maybe we need to differentiate by service packs then ? I remember I bought a Toshiba notebook back in 2003 

and it had XP x86 SP1, very good service pack , because I remember SP2/3 both sucked big time, but then again , does this browser even support SP1 ?

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Right, mine probably said 3 TB on the box but I don't have the box anymore.

And nope, my Seagate in sleep mode does not spin up when starting 360Chrome.

My Seagate is just over ten years old.  It is capable of USB 3.0 but I only use it on a 2.0 port.  Though I doubt that 3.0 versus 2.0 is at play here, unsure.

I think it has ( a hunch ) something to do with newer enclosures may support the commands that browsers sends and yours ancient one - doesn't !

But then again, I want to be fair, you know - I 'm fair, I remember I observed similar behaviour with Opera (spinning up the disks), back in 2017 .

Now we need to remember when the Chinese bought the Opera browser. Now waiting for those "racism" stupid accusations, lol.