My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Interesting article about WebRender

WebRender, though, is highly unlikely to make it in official UXP, because it's written in Rust :( ; even if it, somehow, gets ported to UXP, porting such (Rust) code to be compatible with NT<6.1 (for consumption by members here ;)) would be even more difficult (not impossible, as MyPal68 :thumbup has proved, but difficult :P ) ...

Edited by VistaLover

24 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Unfortunately, a new issue. This happens in the latest release of New Moon 28 (32-bit) (2023-08-10) when visiting the website userstyles.org:

NM28-userstyles-org.png

NM28-userstyles-org-browser-console.png

Any ideas? :dubbio:

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie_pc_111.gif

In Serpent 52 (32-bit) (2023-08-10), the main site of userstyles.org can be loaded, but clicking onto any theme or style leads to an empty window. :angry:

20 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

That site loads OK here (latest NM28, otherwise fresh profile), with ONLY uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31b2 installed (its default filters, only ;) ) :

59dME0J.png

Perhaps you're blocking too much Google-stuff, and their "app" :angry: doesn't like that :realmad: ...

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

but clicking onto any theme or style leads to an empty window.

... Can confirm :angry: :

IuH9nyW.png

Seems to be JS related :realmad: :

TypeError: o.user is undefined

All these are recent page errors, after the site's (basically, an overbloated "app" :realmad:) "overhaul" :angry: ...

16 minutes ago, VistaLover said:
1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

That site loads OK here (latest NM28, otherwise fresh profile), with ONLY uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31b2 installed (its default filters, only ;) ) :

59dME0J.png

Perhaps you're blocking too much Google-stuff, and their "app" :angry: doesn't like that :realmad: ...

In New Moon 28, I tested it with my main profile and with a fresh one. No chance, and there is no Google-stuff blocked by me. :dubbio: I can see the main page only one or two seconds, and then the error appears. Did you also use the latest release of NM 28 for testing? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

and there is no Google-stuff blocked by me. :dubbio:

... There is, but it's blocked unwittingly (i.e. not because of your own actions ;) ) ; inside NM28's "about:config" editor, modify the pref

general.useragent.override.google.com

to a value of

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0

Then, both the homepage of userstyles.org, as well as individual userstyle pages will display as expected!

PtCCjBi.png

37 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

In New Moon 28, I tested it with my main profile and with a fresh one. No chance, and there is no Google-stuff blocked by me. :dubbio: I can see the main page only one or two seconds, and then the error appears. Did you also use the latest release of NM 28 for testing? :dubbio:

Setting the UA to Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 fixes the loading of the main page, but clicking onto any theme or style leads to an empty window as it is the case in Serpent 52. @VistaLover Same effect when creating general.useragent.override.google.com with your UA Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0 .

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

26 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... There is, but it's blocked unwittingly (i.e. not because of your own actions ;) ) ; inside NM28's "about:config" editor, modify the pref

general.useragent.override.google.com

to a value of

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0

Then, both the homepage of userstyles.org, as well as individual userstyle pages will display as expected!

PtCCjBi.png

Ok, I have managed it. :cheerleader: You must only change the UA for general.useragent.override.google.com and not the one for userstyles.org. Thanks you very much for your help, @VistaLover! :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

You must only change the UA for general.useragent.override.google.com and not the one for userstyles.org

Precisely! :P

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks you very much for your help,

You're welcome :P; hopefully, you're not part of the "crowd" here that have publicly stated "I don't bring anything new/useful" to other MSFN members; in any case, I still haven't solved :dubbio:the Serpent 52 "case" you reported and I confirmed :o ...

Userstyles.org now works in NM 28 and loads the site with a specific style. There is a button Install but clicking onto it doesn't install anything and shows a message I have to install the Chrome extension. However,  I use the extension Stylem and thought it works for that site. :dubbio: I can only copy the provided CSS code and create an own file. Or do I something wrong? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

35 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

There is a button Install but clicking onto it doesn't install anything and shows a message I have to install the Chrome extension. However,  I use the extension Stylem and thought it works for that site.

Yes, the "new" owners of the Stylish site are keen to promote their own Chrome (spyware?) extension, and that used to be the case before, too; Stylem hasn't been developed for more than a year:

https://github.com/Lootyhoof/stylem/commits/master

but it did work with previous incarnations of "userstyles.org":

Fix installing from userstyles.org

It would appear the new site "overhaul" (read: downgrade :realmad:) broke that Stylem functionality :( ...

Users of official Pale Moon may want to report this recent breakage on Stylem's issue tracker,

https://github.com/Lootyhoof/stylem/issues

or its PM Forum support thread:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19443

Hopefully then, its author might come up with a fix (if you do file a report, you'd also have to mention the SSUAO for google that makes loading of "userstyles.org" possible under PM ;) ) ...

Edited by VistaLover

The new incarnation of "userstyles.org" has also broken :realmad: an old and widely known "hack" inside the "legacy" browser communities; say, for instance, you wanted to load a userstyle found on the URI:

https://userstyles.org/styles/140099/discord-dark-maroon

Even if your "legacy" browser wasn't able to properly render that page, the CSS code itself was to be found easily via the URI below:

https://userstyles.org/styles/140099/discord-dark-maroon.css

It could then be "installed" to your Userstyle Manager of choice through the "install CSS from URI" route:

fzdOh7c.png

But now, sadly, that "*.css" URI redirects back to the original URI :realmad:, without allowing access to the actual CSS code :( :no: ...

Speaking of that new (and most evil) "userstyles.org" redesign :puke:, it's full of CSS animations (the subject of a recent discussion here), thus a mere visit on the homepage is enough to "fry" both cores of my CPU :realmad: (FFS :angry: , even the Stylish logo itself (top left) is being auto-animated! ) ...

... And I left this for last:

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In Serpent 52 (32-bit) (2023-08-10), the main site of userstyles.org can be loaded, but clicking onto any theme or style leads to an empty window. :angry:

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

in any case, I still haven't solved :dubbio:the Serpent 52 "case" you reported and I confirmed :o ...

Just an indisputable proof of how much Chromium-centric the web has become :realmad:, making individual userstyle pages display normally under St52 is just a "Chrome" UA away:

general.useragent.override.userstyles.org;Chrome

Then:

6WQz5lP.png

On 8/14/2023 at 9:43 PM, UCyborg said:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/animation

Opening this page in official Pale Moon, not scrolling anywhere, 33% GPU usage. Firefox is at 3%. Will need new gaming PC to run Pale Moon before I'll need it for next-gen triple-A game title. :cool:

The website https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/animation causes 100% utilisation of my CPU on my old computer. Animations of any kind are now killers of old, underpowered computers. I have already deactivated various animations in different ways in my browsers. Now, I have also installed the extension Stylem and installed the following CSS style via copy and save from userstyles.orghttps://userstyles.org/styles/180927/disable-css-animations-and-transitions-safely 
This actually stops any CSS animation on the site above and brings my processor back to normal. :cheerleader:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

... The userstyles.org website and their "own" extension, Stylish,

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish-custom-themes-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe

ONLY support Google Chrome and MSEdge (not even other Chromium forks or Mozilla Firefox*) :

yFMoCx9.png

This has escalated beyond a "joke" now :realmad: ...

(*): Stylish for Firefox available on AMO is from July 2018, I bet it doesn't work with the "new" userstyles.org site :angry: .

Edited by VistaLover

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Did you also use the latest release of NM 28 for testing?

... As your "initial" doubting has since been generously upvoted/liked by the known possee :P, let me again draw your closer attention to my original post here and its first embedded image (which I hope is visible to you ;) ), where it's clearly seen I was using NM28 v28.10.7a1 (32-bit) (2023-08-10), which, to the best of my knowledge, is "the latest release" :) ...

Kindest regards.

Edited by VistaLover